• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lego Cover Posters

26 posts in this topic

I've wanted to make comic book covers out of legos since I learned to read.  I've made a to scale NES and SNES over the past few years using the free Lego Studio v2 app.  

So today I took my first steps toward making the mural.  I did some (a lot actually) of math to map out a grid of how many legos wide and high to use.  I based the size off of the Date box (Aug 15 baby!) and decided to make that box 5x5 bricks and scaled it out from there.

The dimensions for the SA book are 90x136 making it a total of 12,240 legos.  It'll be roughly 2ft x 3ft.  I'm going to buy and cut a bunch of the green baseplates, and glue them down on some thin pre-cut wood (i'll probably paint the edges black)

I mentioned earlier I'm using the Studio app, so to find out which color each of the flat lego tile pieces need to be, I created a 90x136 PNG grid and put it on top of an AF15 cover image.

Original cover:

image.thumb.png.ebef26ecf1ffb4ca610becedbbba8534.png

Cover with my grid:

image.thumb.png.e672fdb3441ba20897b0fb704c2292a0.png

I then went to Bricklink to pick out which colors I can actually purchase and came up with, I likely will have to skip the white shirt on the victims cuff for example:

Brown > Top Cover
Yellow > Text
Medium Blue > Outer Spider-Man
Blue > Inner Spider-Man
Black > Text, Victim, Spider-Man, Buildings
Red > Spider-Man
Light Bluish Gray > Background Sky
Dark Bluish Gray > Buildings
Green > Victim
White > Boxes, Swoosh, Victim
Dark Blue > SPIDER MAN Text (can't buy purple) 
Tan > Victim

I know i'ts going to be pixelated AF (see what I did there?) and can't do the fine detail (probably no pit-webs), so it's just going to go in my man-cave unless the boss 'approves'.  Also, I picked a very light aqua color to be the main background because I need the gray colors for the buildings, so again, it's not going to be exact.

Here's a render of Spider-Man's head from the Studio app:

image.png.0305fee2f909882b74e002125afe87f4.png

Original Cover:

image.png.1ee58a94e4bd5865332b782c61be4c34.png

Wish me luck! lol

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

28 minutes ago, Lethal_Collector said:

I've wanted to make comic book covers out of legos since I learned to read.  I've made a to scale NES and SNES over the past few years using the free Lego Studio v2 app.  

So today I took my first steps toward making the mural.  I did some (a lot actually) of math to map out a grid of how many legos wide and high to use.  I based the size off of the Date box (Aug 15 baby!) and decided to make that box 5x5 bricks and scaled it out from there.

The dimensions for the SA book are 90x136 making it a total of 12,240 legos.  It'll be roughly 2ft x 3ft.  I'm going to buy and cut a bunch of the green baseplates, and glue them down on some thin pre-cut wood (i'll probably paint the edges black)

I mentioned earlier I'm using the Studio app, so to find out which color each of the flat lego tile pieces need to be, I created a 90x136 PNG grid and put it on top of an AF15 cover image.

Original cover:

image.thumb.png.ebef26ecf1ffb4ca610becedbbba8534.png

Cover with my grid:

image.thumb.png.e672fdb3441ba20897b0fb704c2292a0.png

I then went to Bricklink to pick out which colors I can actually purchase and came up with, I likely will have to skip the white shirt on the victims cuff for example:

Brown > Top Cover
Yellow > Text
Medium Blue > Outer Spider-Man
Blue > Inner Spider-Man
Black > Text, Victim, Spider-Man, Buildings
Red > Spider-Man
Light Bluish Gray > Background Sky
Dark Bluish Gray > Buildings
Green > Victim
White > Boxes, Swoosh, Victim
Dark Blue > SPIDER MAN Text (can't buy purple) 
Tan > Victim

I know i'ts going to be pixelated AF (see what I did there?) and can't do the fine detail (probably no pit-webs), so it's just going to go in my man-cave unless the boss 'approves'.  Also, I picked a very light aqua color to be the main background because I need the gray colors for the buildings, so again, it's not going to be exact.

Here's a render of Spider-Man's head from the Studio app:

image.png.0305fee2f909882b74e002125afe87f4.png

Original Cover:

image.png.1ee58a94e4bd5865332b782c61be4c34.png

Wish me luck! lol

Jerome

Hey, this is cool, can't wait till you post it.

How about if you make it 4' x 6' so the pixelations work better.  Or is that a size you simply don't want to work with?

My back has had it for today.  Not a nice render, just a screenshot of the progress in Studio:

image.thumb.png.9670de42dadab9be5e195ec9666dac61.png

I'm hoping this turns out like GTAV where all the single aspects of the game are okay/good (driving, shooting, realism, etc.), but if you put it all together its great.

Jerome

7 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

My back has had it for today.  Not a nice render, just a screenshot of the progress in Studio:

image.thumb.png.9670de42dadab9be5e195ec9666dac61.png

I'm hoping this turns out like GTAV where all the single aspects of the game are okay/good (driving, shooting, realism, etc.), but if you put it all together its great.

Jerome

Very cool.  How many hours of work is that?

I can't wait to see your Hulk 1.

Edited by gadzukes

Correct, just blocky text lines.

I'm just over half way now, the buildings are gonna be tough to try and create texture, my first shot at it and I fixed a couple previous errors.  I made a note to my self to add the swooshes on the right side.  I'm too tired atm:

image.thumb.png.293b3ff5d4849b6b2341b9e9deaa4833.png

Jerome

About 3/4 done.  I went through and made some tweaks to the right building and improved the lil people.  These buildings are the hardest things to do.  I have to take some liberties here and there, not a lot, thankfully.

image.thumb.png.0a17c91f76730a2474fbd537017d1545.png

I can also share my pattern and the bricklink required pieces when I'm finished along with a link to the MDF board I cut down if anyone is interested(?)

Jerome

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

It's like it's part of an old video game.

Srsly.  Amazing Spider-Man comes to the NES! lol

I need to tweak the bottom brown section in a spot.

The wife hates the minecraft monster face.  I wasn't doing that intentionally, but I love it (mostly cause she hates it).

Jerome

Thanks buddy!  It's the best I can do given I'm no artist lol

Here's the 2nd to last update for the virtual lego build.  I should be able to finish the last section in the next day or two.  Then I'll put the parts list together for Bricklink and share it here.

image.png.1e67ffbdc5feea01797a39d7e0b93035.png

II need to re-do the right arm pit area, I keep messing it up.

Jerome

"Final" version.  I'm finally happy with everything.  I'll do some spot checking but basically she's done:

image.thumb.png.638181a35b8966f34277345d65e3369d.png

Next up is:

- Make the bricklink parts list.  I'm going to add an extra 25 pieces to each color, just in case.
 - Buy a 2' x 4' MDF board at Home Depot
 - Buy some Black paint & primer In one spray can
 - Cut up some of the lego baseplates so it fits the 90 x 136 pieces
 - Measure the necessary dimensions and cut the MDF board to size
 - Glue the baseplates to the MDF board
 - Spray paint the sides of the board and baseplates (so the whole canvas looks black
 - Put on the 12,240 lego pieces row by row
 - Buy a hanging kit at a local framing shop
 - Attach the hanging kit
- Hang it
 - Enjoy!

Jerome