• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best score someone got off YOU on eBay...
1 1

68 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, littledoom said:

I know a guy who got Hulk 181 9.0 raw via a second chance offer because the high bidder didn't pay.. this was years ago maybe a decade ago.. he paid like $260-300ish

8 hours ago, oldrover said:

Wow... that's huge. 20 years ago, I got a Hulk 181 as a throw-in on a cracked CGC case deal... he described it as GD... turns out it was VG+. 

I will never forget in the mid to late 70s, I found a Hulk 181 in $1 box at a convention.  I was 16 and really hadn't followed the Hulk or X-Men. I sold the book at the same convention to a dealer for $3.  I tripled my money lol 

I don't know what it was going for back then and $3 may have been fair but I have never owned another copy. 

At a yard sale I wasn't ready setting up.. I had a box of coins from my dad sitting underneath a chair and a guy was looking through it and asked me "how much" were these? There was some gold in a little plastic Ziploc baggie and I told him $4. And he repeated $4? And I said yes.. He gasped.. took out his wallet quietly handed me the $4 and speed walked right out of my driveway without any eye contact..

I didn't really get a chance to look what was inside the bag (classic garage sale tactic lol). I believe there were handful 1 gram ingots mixed in w other pinbacks and lapels possibly .. all vintage of course

Edited by littledoom

I will unfortunately win.

Sold on eBay in 1999. This was before art exploded.

I regretted selling it almost instantly. It resurfaced on CAF in 2012. My assumption is to buy it back I'd have to pay 50X what I sold it for.

7 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I will unfortunately win.

Sold on eBay in 1999. This was before art exploded.

I regretted selling it almost instantly. It resurfaced on CAF in 2012. My assumption is to buy it back I'd have to pay 50X what I sold it for.

Wow. I don't know what you sold that for but there is a page from ST 53 at auction on eBay right now quickly approaching five figures. 

Several years ago I sold the original art for the cover to Speakeasy 68, which I had bought from Totleben directly in 1998 or so, for way too cheap. I made some desperation sales when my wife got pregnant with our first kid. A little panic selling before I regained my senses. Oh how I wish I could get that back. 

This was recent at C2E2, purchased 3 Wolverine 1 C2E2 John Tyler Christopher Variant at the Marvel booth, Proceeded to get them signed by the author Benjamin Percy, and graded onsite, all came back 9.8. On the flight home posted them for $175 each , which i thought was a fair price, they all sold before i reached home. They are currently average $450 on Ebay. I never try to think about the money i could have made, i just think about the money i could have lost.

53 minutes ago, Dmac538 said:

This was recent at C2E2, purchased 3 Wolverine 1 C2E2 John Tyler Christopher Variant at the Marvel booth, Proceeded to get them signed by the author Benjamin Percy, and graded onsite, all came back 9.8. On the flight home posted them for $175 each , which i thought was a fair price, they all sold before i reached home. They are currently average $450 on Ebay. I never try to think about the money i could have made, i just think about the money i could have lost.

good way to look at things... win some and loose some.. in the end everything balances in the universe

Luckily I never had a big one. The worst for me was a high grade Marvel Milestones TOS 39 reprint I got cheap to flip. I meant to start it a 99 cents auction but mistakenly listed it bin for 99 cents. It was probably worth about $20-$30 at the time. 

The funny part was I told the buyer that I mistakenly listed it for 99 cents but I would honor it (for some reason I didn't want the buyer to think I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person who thought it was only worth 99 cents. Like it mattered :eyeroll:) and his response was that he would be sure to buy from me in the future. Not sure how he thought that would benefit me? But I guess he figured I would be listing all kinds of things buy it now for 99 cents and he could keep coming back to the well. 

Biggest dumb@$$ move I ever did... my first auction back in 2002... bid and won an ASM1 4.5 CGC... immediately had buyers remorse... and contacted the seller. He had another buyer right behind me, offered it to that guy, and I got out of it.

Oh by the way the final sale price was $2400. Now they sell for, what, $8000? 

:facepalm:doh!:makepoint:

Edited by oldrover

I used to list comics on ebay according to comicsprieguide.com and wasn't even aware of a sold listings part... I sold a lot of stuff cheap  .. Conversely I've gotten a lot of comics cheap when sellers sell me their comics from their collection using that website so it balances out

I accidentally listed my Action #1 as "Active Comics #1"
Went for 99 cents only one bidder-

Just now, kav said:

I accidentally listed my Action #1 as "Active Comics #1"
Went for 99 cents only one bidder-

I once sold a Tim Sale Batman CGC 9.8 Signature Series sketch via auction, back when even his quick sketches sold for a couple hundred bucks, and forgot to mention "CGC" or "Signature Series" or "sketch" anywhere in the fricken listing. I think I titled it like, "Tim Sale Batman Original". Sold for about $15.

10 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I once sold a Tim Sale Batman CGC 9.8 Signature Series sketch via auction, back when even his quick sketches sold for a couple hundred bucks, and forgot to mention "CGC" or "Signature Series" or "sketch" anywhere in the fricken listing. I think I titled it like, "Tim Sale Batman Original". Sold for about $15.

Should have added L@@K

I was selling a Thor 126 5.0 and getting no traction... then I realized with 10 hours to go in the auction, I had it listed under "generic 70's superheroes".

Book should have sold for maybe $130... went for $70. :makepoint:

Edited by oldrover