• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A bit of tape on a 7.0 GA. What do you think?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Hi

this is a Bat#47 7.0 on eBay.

it is overpriced right now, but just in case it drops, should I be concerned with the bit of tape on a 7.0 GA?

Small piece re-attached with tape on cover.”

here is a photo from the eBay listing,  it’s currently listing for 4.8k which is riding a bit high even for this grade....

Please let me know what you think about the tape and/or the price

i have always liked the cover on this one,

i have not purchased the grader notes yet.

thanks

371F4E16-B47E-4109-9947-8ACB6272D90F.jpeg

2A62C690-3AD3-471F-A458-11C8423F9DCA.jpeg

32EFFE41-49BC-4B73-AC37-F9CA891D49B6.jpeg

BFBB081A-4B79-45C3-B0F6-F4A7DBF5D47E.jpeg

Edited by dm3
Added notes

5 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I think it's time for me to stop buying CGC-graded books if they're giving 7.0 grades to books that have pieces reattached with tape.

Should be a purple label.  If the tape is archival, professional restoration.  If "regular" invisible tape then amateur restoration.

Back in the old days, OPG only allowed tape in the Fair grade. I remember dealers selling books that looked nice but had some tape on them as Very Good. But technically they going against OPG, even though at least one advertised "Strict Overstreet Grading". I don't know when Overstreet softened his stance on tape.

The answer is that only you can decide how you feel about it. If the tape will bother you then don't buy it.

I notice that it's in a recent slab, which I think means it was graded after CGC changed their policy on tape to be "the book will be graded as if the tape wasn't there". In this case the piece taped on must be small if the book is a 7.0 with a chip out. It does look very nice, so I don't think I'd have an issue with the grade.

13 hours ago, AJD said:

The answer is that only you can decide how you feel about it. If the tape will bother you then don't buy it.

I notice that it's in a recent slab, which I think means it was graded after CGC changed their policy on tape to be "the book will be graded as if the tape wasn't there". In this case the piece taped on must be small if the book is a 7.0 with a chip out. It does look very nice, so I don't think I'd have an issue with the grade.

It looks to me like it was graded 09/18/2013, which I thought was before the change.  Meaning it's graded as if it actually fixed the chip that was out?

7 hours ago, thunsicker said:

It looks to me like it was graded 09/18/2013, which I thought was before the change.  Meaning it's graded as if it actually fixed the chip that was out?

It could also just have been re-holdered recently, so that (I think) will keep the original grade but in a new label.

The book is probably a borderline 7.0 without the piece re-attached, which appears to be a small chip at the bottom right. It's still a decent copy, though tape finds resistance among a lot of collectors, even in the lower grades, and a 7.0 with tape will always be a harder sell at FMV than other 7.0s. It looks to be priced more like a 7.5. It's not a particularly scarce book, even in the higher/mid grades. I'd hold out for a 6.0/6.5 with similar eye-appeal, and no tape, or a half price sale. 

On 5/10/2020 at 8:28 PM, batman_fan said:

Should be a purple label.  If the tape is archival, professional restoration.  If "regular" invisible tape then amateur restoration.

Does CGC make a distinction? I can't recall a book getting a purple label for just having tape, of any sort.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:01 AM, SuperBird said:

I'd avoid a 7.0 with tape personally, especially if it's holding something together.

VG or lower, sure, and you can always have it removed. But you're paying a premium for a 7.0. 

@SuperBird

i fully agree.  At 4.8k it’s priced very aggressively 

I am passing on it

PS thanks for your thread on the early Action collection you have.  It’s a great collection and wonderful thread,

On 5/12/2020 at 11:42 AM, rjpb said:

The book is probably a borderline 7.0 without the piece re-attached, which appears to be a small chip at the bottom right. It's still a decent copy, though tape finds resistance among a lot of collectors, even in the lower grades, and a 7.0 with tape will always be a harder sell at FMV than other 7.0s. It looks to be priced more like a 7.5. It's not a particularly scarce book, even in the higher/mid grades. I'd hold out for a 6.0/6.5 with similar eye-appeal, and no tape, or a half price sale. 

👍

On 5/12/2020 at 11:44 AM, rjpb said:

Does CGC make a distinction? I can't recall a book getting a purple label for just having tape, of any sort.

👍

On 5/10/2020 at 8:28 PM, batman_fan said:

I will second that, stay away.

13 hours ago, dm3 said:

@SuperBird

i fully agree.  At 4.8k it’s priced very aggressively 

I am passing on it

PS thanks for your thread on the early Action collection you have.  It’s a great collection and wonderful thread,

You're welcome! Makes me happy to share it. 

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Here is the closest comp I could find, restored 7.5, slight.  Sold in 2020 so pretty current sell.  I would say this book should be similar in price since ultimately it is restored even if it has a blue label.

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 6.54.07 PM.png

While I think this 7.5 with minor color touch and a tear seal is a better value than a 7.0 with a corner taped back on, the market tends to see tape as less objectionable, and the award of a blue label over a purple one, despite the opinion of some that tape is "restoration", or at least "conservation", guarantees a higher FMV for the 7.0. 

The 7.5 sold for the ballpark value of a 4.0, the general range for slightly restored 7.5 GA books, but less than what I'd expect even a problematic 7.0 in a blue label to go for. I have little doubt it would sell pretty easily if the seller dropped the price to $2500.