• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking Dead #1
2 2

84 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2020 at 5:13 PM, mrwoogieman said:

I don't know about Walking Dead or Image comics in particular, but with Marvel the indicia date often didn't change from one printing to the next, so people will use the ads in the later printings to estimate their publication dates.

Interesting. Thanks for adding to the debate.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:51 AM, StephenWA said:

Interesting. Is therefore the print date the KEY determinant to distinguish one from the other?

Yes. Variants are slightly different versions of the same thing. Reprints are new, different things that are very similar to something from earlier.

CGC dates comics in mm/yyyy. Is it possible that a comic could be reprinted in the same month and thus show the same mm/yyyy?

Historically, it has been rare for an issue to be reprinted in the same month, but as mrwoogieman mentioned, the cover/indicia date was often left unchanged for subsequent printings.

Is there a DEFINITIVE source of such definitions?

If you have a minute, please help me with some TWD examples:

1. TWD #2/7/8 each have first and second printings. Is the second one in each case a variant or a reprint?

#2 shows 11/03 and 02/04 for the first and second printings;

#7 shows 4/04 as the header date in both cases;

#8 shows 5/04 in both cases, though the indica for the second shows 7/04.

They're all reprints. The issues were literally reprinted.

2. TWD #150 has six different covers. Are all/any of them variant? reprints?

From what I can see, they're all variants.

3. There are seven individually dated $1 TWD #1 Image Firsts. Same question - any/all variants? any/all reprints?

Every Image Firsts: The Walking Dead #1 is definitely a reprint of some kind.

This might not matter too much - I'm not sure. You raised the point, and as I said I am just keen to present my journal correctly. I'm sure that comics-wise, it is accurate.

Regards

Stephen

A few more notes:

Look at TWD #115. It has a bunch of variants, which are handily identified by letter under the issue number on the cover. It also has a second printing, which is identified in the same area.

For most issues with any kind of variant, the interiors are all printed and collated, then the covers are printed and the books are assembled. The interiors are indistinguishable from each other and, indeed, any set could have been attached to any of the covers.

22 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Are comics like coins, where if it looks superior to the grade on the holder, people will crack them out and resubmit them.  As a result the census data was always overstated.  Is that the case here too?

Yes, though I'm pretty sure coins are missing a key part of the CPR (crack, PRESS, resub) comic equation.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:44 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yes, though I'm pretty sure coins are missing a key part of the CPR (crack, PRESS, resub) comic equation.

Not really.  Coins are "conserved", cleaned, "dipped" in metal cleaners to make them look new but still gradable and all sorts of shenanigans.  Many who play the grading game look for ways to get an advantage.   It is similar to a press or whatever black hat stuff goes on in comics (I'm a newbie in raw books but have to believe it's going on).