• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amethyst, Modred the Mystic etc [Original Comic Art]

10 posts in this topic

Hey there ^_^

Does anyone know where there's art relating to DC's Amethyst or Marvel's Modred the Mystic - perhaps even JLA #26 (1997) or Green Lantern #148 (1982), for that matter?

All comments are welcomed ~

4 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

You can find Ernie Colon's original designs for Amethyst on the CAF in Ravenface, S. gallery.

If you haven't already done so, search the CAF for Amethyst and you'll find a lot of art from the various series. I suspect that the same is true for Mordred the Magican.

There was a lot I found: JSA #50 p.17 Color Guide Art - Jakeem's Genie Splash - 2003, but the seller stated:

"This is a B&W STAT photo copy that a colorist painted over to create the published page. This is color art only, the original pencils and inks aren't on here."

I'm a bit unsure as to what this is ~ Is this original art? Is this technically not classed as comic-art if it's photocopied? Or a bit like a color guide?

Edited by Bart Allen

2 hours ago, Noob19 said:

I remember seeing some Amethyst covers and panel pages (from the recent S&S series) on Aaron Lopresti's site. 

Yeah, I saw them - but those are way too overpriced, especially for such a recent series ~

5 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

There was a lot I found: JSA #50 p.17 Color Guide Art - Jakeem's Genie Splash - 2003, but the seller stated:

"This is a B&W STAT photo copy that a colorist painted over to create the published page. This is color art only, the original pencils and inks aren't on here."

I'm a bit unsure as to what this is ~ Is this original art? Is this technically not classed as comic-art if it's photocopied? Or a bit like a color guide?

Yes, it's a color guide. The seller calls it that in the title.

As for whether or not it is "original art," I'd say, "Yes, someone hand painted it." 

As for wheter or not it is worth buying, I'd say, "If you enjoy it, yes. If you expect it to appreciate like the pages that were drawn and inked by hand, I'd say no."

1 minute ago, Bart Allen said:

Yeah, I saw them - but those are way too overpriced, especially for such a recent series ~

Aaron's pricing is pretty much to market. It may not be in your wheelhouse, but he has a good feel for what his work will bring. Of course, you can always make him an offer.

35 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

Yes, it's a color guide. The seller calls it that in the title.

As for whether or not it is "original art," I'd say, "Yes, someone hand painted it." 

As for wheter or not it is worth buying, I'd say, "If you enjoy it, yes. If you expect it to appreciate like the pages that were drawn and inked by hand, I'd say no."

I entirely get what you mean ^_^

I might get a few of them - but it's a bit tough to find Amethyst or Modred colour guides at the moment, it seems :(