• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just getting started....

49 posts in this topic

.... and sorry for the long response, but I think you and the others deserved a deeper and more thoughtful answer.... We may never see "eye to eye" but that's the fun of life....

1 hour ago, TimeToShine said:

If you're not in this for the money then you don't need CGC for any of this is the point.

If you collect comics for the fun of it you definitely don't need CGC.

Sooo.... you're telling me not to get that "Crypt of Dawn" No 1 graded....

You're right, I don't need. Food, shelter, water. Those are needs. I don't enjoy, collect or am otherwise into comics because of need.... I never made the claim I needed them.

5 hours ago, Will96 said:

They are in pristine, never read condition

There are a lot of 'pristine, never read condition' on ebay, that wouldn't even come back as an 8.0

Point being, there is some great source material out there, that can help you grade a comic.  You don't need to have it encapsulated.  

3 hours ago, TimeToShine said:

Congrats on going from clueless Noob to seasoned pro in 5 days. You seem to know it all now so we can just go ahead and close this thread up (thumbsu

Not sure anything I've said anything here to suggest me being or thinking i'm a seasoned pro. What it does suggest is, that while I value everyone's opinion on what they would do, how things work, I'm ultimately the arbiter of how I move forward.... how I weigh potential decisions and ultimately make those decisions. Offering advice does not include a dictate that I follow it or adopt your thinking. If that's a deal breaker, yeah, consider the conversation done for your purposes. It's all good!

Edited by Will96

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

There are a lot of 'pristine, never read condition' on ebay, that wouldn't even come back as an 8.0

Point being, there is some great source material out there, that can help you grade a comic.  You don't need to have it encapsulated.  

Of course. One man's pristine 67 Mustang is another man's heap....Need was never part of the conversation.... at least from my end. It also was never anything I asked anyone.... "Should" I have it graded.... "Should" I have it encapsulated.... That was offered, but not asked. I did buy the ratings guide you suggested so thanks for that! This project here, however, was not how "I" would grade a comic. 

I am impressed how passionately people on here feel about what should or should not be professionally graded, however. It really is impressive to me.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:10 PM, Will96 said:

Thanks, yes, some of the YouTube videos are really good.... or at least interesting. Honestly, I was pretty stunned looking at some of the auctions and sales of 9.8 vs 9.6 vs 9.4 comics and if I was in this to sell, I'd still be in the mindset of "condition is condition" but.... yeah, I think The Blob would have a point about 'would I have sent that DD #8 in'.... Ultimately, I have to enjoy it and sometimes that means irrational decisions that may not be the wisest from a spending standpoint.... 

Overstreet.... my god. I remember comic guides when I was a kid.... Better than the King James.... I do need to pick one up.

yes, i think the first step is to buy the grading guide (not the price guide) to get a better sense of what your grades are. Then you can see which book is worth spending 40-50$ on to get slabbed.

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Guide-Grading-Comics-2016/dp/1603601996/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=overstreet+grading+guide&qid=1591011962&sprefix=overstreet+grad&sr=8-1

Because remember that a 35$ book will still only sell for 35$ even if it's graded by cgc. 

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1392946

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

yes, i think the first step is to buy the grading guide (not the price guide) to get a better sense of what your grades are. Then you can see which book is worth spending 40-50$ on to get slabbed.

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Guide-Grading-Comics-2016/dp/1603601996/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=overstreet+grading+guide&qid=1591011962&sprefix=overstreet+grad&sr=8-1

Because remember that a 35$ book will still only sell for 35$ even if it's graded by cgc. 

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1392946

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I ended up mistakenly buying the price guide. The grading guide is what I want.

Edited by Will96

On 5/30/2020 at 12:05 PM, Will96 said:

One doesn't know what one has till on sees what one has. It will be interesting to see where they grade and i'm looking forward to that. They are in pristine, never read condition, but a the end of the day, the grade is the grade. I'm not hanging on them coming in at some value. No offense, but you have no idea where they will grade and neither do I.

We can have a pretty good idea of what they will grade if you take some images and scans of the front and back and post them here: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

We'll know right away if they are a 9.8 or not. 

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

We can have a pretty good idea of what they will grade if you take some images and scans of the front and back and post them here: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

We'll know right away if they are a 9.8 or not. 

Thanks. I may do that in the future. Admittedly, I got a little over my skis a bit on this one though I'm not sure I would have done much differently. It would have been nice to have some initial opinions though. Even for things I have no intention of submitting, it would be good to know opinions on grading.

8 hours ago, Will96 said:

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I ended up mistakenly buying the price guide. The grading guide is what I want.

Likely, you want both. The price guide lets comics with significant value stand right out. Grading brings you right back to earth. I think a very simple separation is to look first at .12 and then to .15 cents. Above that  ( .20) and you're not likely looking at a lot although their certainly are some exceptions. . It remains true that pristine brings dollars and those usually require slabs if you're trying to sell them. If you just want to hang on to them, then , no they don't need slabs at all but by the time you're thinking pressing, you're already in the mental system.

There's lot of folks who would be more than happy to help realize part of the overall profit. That assumes you're planning to sell. If you aren't, sit back and learn.  

22 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Likely, you want both. The price guide lets comics with significant value stand right out. Grading brings you right back to earth. I think a very simple separation is to look first at .12 and then to .15 cents. Above that  ( .20) and you're not likely looking at a lot although their certainly are some exceptions. . It remains true that pristine brings dollars and those usually require slabs if you're trying to sell them. If you just want to hang on to them, then , no they don't need slabs at all but by the time you're thinking pressing, you're already in the mental system.

There's lot of folks who would be more than happy to help realize part of the overall profit. That assumes you're planning to sell. If you aren't, sit back and learn.  

"Grading brings you right back to earth".... Yes.... :) 

Honestly, they're out of the way and I've gone all this time with them, so there's no pressing need to really do anything except enjoy myself.... Not take it all too serious. I've seen some of the grading threads and people can really get sideways when they don't get the grade they expected....

Edited by Will96

6 hours ago, Will96 said:

"Grading brings you right back to earth".... Yes.... :) 

Honestly, they're out of the way and I've gone all this time with them, so not, there's now pressing need to really do anything except enjoy myself.... Not take it all too serious. I've seen some of the grading threads and people can really get sideways when they don't get the grade they expected....

I sold most of my comics a few years back yet I kept my fairly complete Journey into Mystery and Mighty Thor up through 200. I bought the bulk on the newsstands. None are slabbed. I get them out and read them every few years. It's nice to know they're on backers in good bags but beyond that, I don't really have any clue to their value at this point at all.  Thor fighting South American enemies of democracy though? Now there's a timeless comic. 

10 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I sold most of my comics a few years back yet I kept my fairly complete Journey into Mystery and Mighty Thor up through 200. I bought the bulk on the newsstands. None are slabbed. I get them out and read them every few years. It's nice to know they're on backers in good bags but beyond that, I don't really have any clue to their value at this point at all.  Thor fighting South American enemies of democracy though? Now there's a timeless comic. 

People really get worked up over slabs. If someone wants to slab something and has the money.... no biggie. It's like framing.... Can often cost more than the print itself... and you would rarely get that back if you tried to sell the print as the frame may not appeal to the buyer. I have a bunch of new bags and backers coming as they're all just very old.... and I was surprised I had so many without boards.

One of my older brothers collected Thor, Iron Man and Submariner. I remember being a kid and just not getting the Submariner thing.... :) Thor I though was cool.

I still remember Being into Daredevil and Luke Cage.... A blind guy and dude in a pirate shirt fighting crime in the hood.... Yeah, I was a weird kid.... That Daredevil 8 was like 1.25 or something when I bought it, I saved and saved. Went in there and he was like, "Yeah kid, it's still here..." .... 

Edited by Will96

Well Thor was indeed cool, but Sif and Hela were hot. When I sold my stuff, there were several #1 Luke Cage's in there I bought just because they were #1's. Marvel was really churning out #1's around then.  Daredevil never really appealed to me either although I had most of them. Submariner seemed like he had anger management issues.  Dr Strange came to me late in life and I regret that. 

Edited by Glassman10
more inspiring observations.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:59 PM, Glassman10 said:

Well Thor was indeed cool, but Sif and Hela were hot. When I sold my stuff, there were several #1 Luke Cage's in there I bought just because they were #1's. Marvel was really churning out #1's around then.  Daredevil never really appealed to me either although I had most of them. Submariner seemed like he had anger management issues.  Dr Strange came to me late in life and I regret that. 

There was a lot of #1's around then.... I was always like "if they're telling me it's a collector's issue on the cover, maybe it's not...." :D  A lot of mini-series too as I recall though that may have been a little later. Forgot, my oldest brother was into Captain America and Fantastic Four. The blind thing with Daredevil for me I thought was cool, but it was really the villians of his that I really liked.... Stiltman, Kingpin, Bullseye, Stuntman.

Yes, there's a few I wish I had, but the ship has sailed on many....

Daredevil 8? hmmm is that even special?  Plain truth...  it is going to cost you around 40 bucks to grade and another 60 bucks to press a silver age book and you will be waiting 2 to 6 months  to get it back depending on the service you select (speed costs money).  if the price guide says its worth less than 300 buck then its probably not worth it.  If the book looks barely read its probably an 8.  Sentimental value is entirely another thing.  I got Howard the Duck 1 and Fear 19 pressed and slabbed because they were top books in my childhood and i like them.  Did I waste my money?  Probably, but I am still happy about it.  I was curious too about this whole slabbing and pressing process.  The books will look nicer pressed but you can run the risk of staple damage.  It is very very hard to get even a 9.0 on a silver age book.  You should get a price guide to make decisions on non sentimental books...

CCAD07C8-BEE3-4FC6-B9CE-212FB0B34BC4_1_105_c.jpeg.eb683ddb9b72d9b349af6f0eebd98c15.jpeg

3E7E0E13-9013-4C57-9014-93F1C2ACEB56_1_105_c.jpeg.58456c8787ec403be9578f095f4e3833.jpeg

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

Daredevil 8? hmmm is that even special?  Plain truth...  it is going to cost you around 40 bucks to grade and another 60 bucks to press a silver age book and you will be waiting 2 to 6 months  to get it back depending on the service you select (speed costs money).  if the price guide says its worth less than 300 buck then its probably not worth it.  If the book looks barely read its probably an 8.  Sentimental value is entirely another thing.  I got Howard the Duck 1 and Fear 19 pressed and slabbed because they were top books in my childhood and i like them.  Did I waste my money?  Probably, but I am still happy about it.  I was curious too about this whole slabbing and pressing process.  The books will look nicer pressed but you can run the risk of staple damage.  It is very very hard to get even a 9.0 on a silver age book.  You should get a price guide to make decisions on non sentimental books...

CCAD07C8-BEE3-4FC6-B9CE-212FB0B34BC4_1_105_c.jpeg.eb683ddb9b72d9b349af6f0eebd98c15.jpeg

3E7E0E13-9013-4C57-9014-93F1C2ACEB56_1_105_c.jpeg.58456c8787ec403be9578f095f4e3833.jpeg

It's not "special" at all except to me. As a kid, I loved Stiltman as a villain. Please go back through the comments to see my take on the whole thing if it interests you. We kind of discussed it to death.

Edited by Will96

4 minutes ago, Will96 said:

It's not "special" at all except to me. As a kid, I loved Stiltman as a villain. Please go back through the comments. This was discussed to death.

I did read the thread.  Press and slab it it if you want.  It will cost about 140 buck for a single silver age book including postage and take up to 6 months.  Go for it...

Fedex ground...45 buck

Pressing at CCS ... 60 buck

Grading at CGC... 40 buck

Postage back????

Do what you want.  Just DO NOT pick pick economy submission!