• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing a spine roll and getting a better grade
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Would it be worth paying someone (or CGC) to fix this spine roll and send it back for grading to CGC ? Do I have a shot at a 5.0 CGC ?

I know PGX overgrades normally so we can assume this book is a 4.0 CGC as is.

What do you think ? Has anyone ever done this experiment ? :)

Thanks

JIM 85 (0).jpg

JIM 85 (1).jpg

JIM 85 (2).jpg

JIM 85 (3).jpg

JIM 85 (4).jpg

JIM 85 (5).jpg

JIM 85 (6).jpg

JIM 85 (8).jpg

JIM 85 (10).jpg

46 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

@joeypost  Do you think my comic has a shot at going a whole grade higher from 5.0 PGX (lets assume it's a 4.0 CGC) to a 5.0 CGC ?

If the book is cleaned up and everything else goes well I would not be surprised at a 4.5 based on my observations below. 

1. You have a full length readers crease on the front cover. Plus many color breaks along the spine.

2. Wear on two corners.

3. The spine roll which will leave a faint remnant where it was creased on the back of the comic, once the spine roll is removed.

4. It is a PGX book. It can come back restored or conserved. It is a gamble you take with their books. 

29 minutes ago, joeypost said:

If the book is cleaned up and everything else goes well I would not be surprised at a 4.5 based on my observations below. 

1. You have a full length readers crease on the front cover. Plus many color breaks along the spine.

2. Wear on two corners.

3. The spine roll which will leave a faint remnant where it was creased on the back of the comic, once the spine roll is removed.

4. It is a PGX book. It can come back restored or conserved. It is a gamble you take with their books. 

Ok thanks @joeypost. I think it's a gamble I'm not willing to take. There are also alot of costs with pressing/cleaning/grading/shipping. So probably not worth it for half a grade. A purple or green label would be a death blow lol.

Damn you PGX hahaha

@joeypost fixed a spine roll on my Hulk 2 that had a huge chunk out of the front cover. HUGE. After he was done, the book looked SO good it got a 2.5. 

So, yes. It can make a difference. :)

Edit: that said, it depends on the upside as to whether it's worth it.

Edited by oldrover

On 5/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, migmtl76 said:

Ok thanks @joeypost. I think it's a gamble I'm not willing to take. There are also alot of costs with pressing/cleaning/grading/shipping. So probably not worth it for half a grade. A purple or green label would be a death blow lol.

Damn you PGX hahaha

This.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:49 PM, migmtl76 said:

@joeypost  Do you think my comic has a shot at going a whole grade higher from 5.0 PGX (lets assume it's a 4.0 CGC) to a 5.0 CGC ?

It has 0% chance of getting a 5.0 due to the length wide colour breaking crease.

It's a 4.0 with or without spine roll since the crease is your biggest detractor, not the roll. 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:26 PM, William-James88 said:

It has 0% chance of getting a 5.0 due to the length wide colour breaking crease.

It's a 4.0 with or without spine roll since the crease is your biggest detractor, not the roll. 

I see what you mean. Thanks for your input