• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 50, What Am I Missing?

18 posts in this topic

So, can't someone crack open a complete ASM50 and take pics of what I'm missing in mine? I assume it's just ads, but it also kinda looks like a splash page maybe, based on the bits of border left in my book.

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

Hey thanks! (thumbsu

So it doesn't affect the story,  but I'd still like to know what's missing 

I just took a picture of mine and you have me wondering if I am missing something. I counted all the pages and there’s 32. There are 8 wraps.

image.jpg

Edited by jayhawker

I bought an ASM #50 years ago for about 100 dollars or something cheap like that and had Stan Lee sign it.  It's in pretty decent shape and I always display it.  Now I doubt it's worth anything since CGC was invented.  I learned the other day that PSA Grading does autograph certification for baseball cards and there's no silly green labels or anything.

3 hours ago, Falcon760 said:

I bought an ASM #50 years ago for about 100 dollars or something cheap like that and had Stan Lee sign it.  It's in pretty decent shape and I always display it.  Now I doubt it's worth anything since CGC was invented.  I learned the other day that PSA Grading does autograph certification for baseball cards and there's no silly green labels or anything.

ASM 50 is always worth something. It’s the first appearance of Kingpin and the greatest comic book cover ever. Regardless, your history with this particular copy makes it extremely valuable to you, doesn’t it?

11 hours ago, jayhawker said:

I didn't count the cover, so that would give me 36.

So now this deepens the mystery. If your book doesn't have the page that jcjames' book seems to have mostly been ripped out, and your book has 36 pages, what gives? 

jayhawker is showing the correct page layout. From what is shown I believe the page ripped from your copy is this one;

861341775_img098(2).thumb.jpg.26f96934a6f896195eeb435dc30c2db0.jpg

However it is the third wrap (4th if you include cover) and comes between story pages 4 and 5 not after story page 20 as shown on your copy. All four pages of this wrap are non-story - the reverse is an ad for grit, and the other side of the wrap is the karate ad seen in your copy backed by Stan's soap box editorial page.  Looks like your copy has this wrap tucked back in on itself I see tape there which would support this.

1 hour ago, GARYSTAR said:

jayhawker is showing the correct page layout. From what is shown I believe the page ripped from your copy is this one;

861341775_img098(2).thumb.jpg.26f96934a6f896195eeb435dc30c2db0.jpg

However it is the third wrap (4th if you include cover) and comes between story pages 4 and 5 not after story page 20 as shown on your copy. All four pages of this wrap are non-story - the reverse is an ad for grit, and the other side of the wrap is the karate ad seen in your copy backed by Stan's soap box editorial page.  Looks like your copy has this wrap tucked back in on itself I see tape there which would support this.

Ah-HA!! Mystery solved! Thanks Garystar 

That is exactly what it looks like happened: 

20200605_074439.jpg

20200605_074615-1.jpg

Good to know the story was not affected.

I acquired it as a free "add on" to a stack I purchased from my LCS. He told me it was missing a page - and I actually initially said I didn't want an incomplete book, but he insisted and said it was no charge. Glad I eventually decided to take it and that the story is complete. 

Thanks all (thumbsu

Edited by jcjames