• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Previously... on LOST... It's Been Ten Years Since It Ended...

18 posts in this topic

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."

So, upon reading all the articles celebrating the ten year anniversary of the end of LOST, I decided to watch the whole thing.  Now, I have to preface this thread by letting you know up front that I loved the ending.  I felt like "I got it."  I never needed to know who was shooting at Sawyer and Juliet and those that were left behind while on the outrigger or how the island became the way it did.  There are some questions I always felt never needed to be answered. 

However, once I am finished watching this series again, (I am on 5:14), I will have seen this series for the fourth time.  There are certain episodes that are just stunning pieces of television such as, "Walkabout" when we learn that Locke is paralyzed and "The Constant", when we see the Desmond Penny centric episode.   Every time I watch this series I discover something new. 

So... if you want show some love... 

Once of the things I noticed was how the ending of Season 3 Episode 5, "The Cost of Living" fit nicely in with how they wrapped up the series.   In the episode when Eko dies, the look of contempt in smoke monster in the form of Yemi makes even more sense because he is not so much disgusted with Eko as he is disgusted that Eko made sacrifices for his brother that Jacob could never make for the Man in Black.  The Man in Black feels betrayed by Jacob more than anything and this is a great foreshadowing as to what will come by season 6.  

Upon dying Eko is reunited with his brother during the most significant time period of their lives when they were simply two children playing soccer while still having their innocence.  As they are reunited in death, once Eko dies, it is only then that they can move on.   Remember how the Jack's dad explained it after Jack died.  Some died before Jack and others died long after Jack, yet they all meet up with who was most important and then they move on together. 

Eko meets up with Yemi and then they move on.  

While maybe this is not what the writers intended at the time, it fits nicely with the ending. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 8.54.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 8.55.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 8.52.58 PM.png

I watched this show from the very beginning and agonized waiting each week to see what was going to happen next.  I loved the ending as well, finding it a bit of a tear jerker.  The questions that were never answered also didn't matter to me because of the way it all ended.  Excellent show!  I just wish we had gotten to see Hugo and Ben together as a spin-off!

10 years since the end!?  That's making me feel old.  :preach: I was working at Blockbuster part time in college while this was airing.  People wouldn't stop with the theories.

I finally got a chance to watch it around 2013/2014 when it was on Netflix.  My first kid was just born and he was NOT a good sleeper.  Lost helped me keep my sanity while I was getting him to sleep, which took several hours each day. 

I remember enjoying it, but I was very tired when I watched it, so I don't remember the details.  I really should give it another run through.  Anyone know if it's on a streaming service these days?

31 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I remember enjoying it, but I was very tired when I watched it, so I don't remember the details.  I really should give it another run through.  Anyone know if it's on a streaming service these days?

Looks like it's on HULU and Prime Video (free with ads).  I haven't watched this for quite a while.  I remember wondering how they were going to tie it all together and then slowly losing interest as they kept adding mysteries rather than solving any of the existing mysteries.  Never made it through the last season.

Yes I’ve been doing a rewatch with Prime Video with ads.  That’s where I got those screen grabs of the Mr Eko scene from.     Starting season six again tomorrow.

Edited by Buzzetta

initially i didn't like the ending or the final season too much but rewatched it a few years ago and loved it all. i think in the moment i had anticipated a different ending that didn't fit my expectations. i understand better what they were trying to do.

my favorite episode is man of science, man of faith and of course the desmond episode (and storyline)

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

initially i didn't like the ending or the final season too much but rewatched it a few years ago and loved it all. i think in the moment i had anticipated a different ending that didn't fit my expectations. i understand better what they were trying to do.

my favorite episode is man of science, man of faith and of course the desmond episode (and storyline)

For some reason the clip shows are included in the Amazon Prime package. I do not remember those shows included when the series was hosted by Netflix.   Certain things that they highlight were some major clues as to what was going on. 

One thing I have noticed is that those that focused on the sci-fi aspect were mostly disappointed.  The show seems to focus more on the human aspect and relationships with the sci-fi aspect as the backdrop.  I think that is why your favorite episode was man of science, man of faith because that seems to be what the whole show was really about.  From wikipedia on that episode: "While "Man of Science, Man of Faith" alludes to a quote in the previous episode where Locke describes himself as a man of faith and Jack as a man of science, writer Damon Lindelof stated that the episode has the title to imply that Jack is both, with the flashback making the empiricist "man of science" facing a miracle while treating a patient."

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

For some reason the clip shows are included in the Amazon Prime package. I do not remember those shows included when the series was hosted by Netflix.   Certain things that they highlight were some major clues as to what was going on. 

One thing I have noticed is that those that focused on the sci-fi aspect were mostly disappointed.  The show seems to focus more on the human aspect and relationships with the sci-fi aspect as the backdrop.  I think that is why your favorite episode was man of science, man of faith because that seems to be what the whole show was really about.  From wikipedia on that episode: "While "Man of Science, Man of Faith" alludes to a quote in the previous episode where Locke describes himself as a man of faith and Jack as a man of science, writer Damon Lindelof stated that the episode has the title to imply that Jack is both, with the flashback making the empiricist "man of science" facing a miracle while treating a patient."

YES that's what that's my favorite episode. He was denying who he really was all this time.

I finished it...

I may have still shed a tear or two.

Great ending. 

I went to YouTube to rewatch the epilogue from the DVD set. 

On 6/9/2020 at 9:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."

So, upon reading all the articles celebrating the ten year anniversary of the end of LOST, I decided to watch the whole thing.  Now, I have to preface this thread by letting you know up front that I loved the ending.  I felt like "I got it."  I never needed to know who was shooting at Sawyer and Juliet and those that were left behind while on the outrigger or how the island became the way it did.  There are some questions I always felt never needed to be answered. 

However, once I am finished watching this series again, (I am on 5:14), I will have seen this series for the fourth time.  There are certain episodes that are just stunning pieces of television such as, "Walkabout" when we learn that Locke is paralyzed and "The Constant", when we see the Desmond Penny centric episode.   Every time I watch this series I discover something new. 

So... if you want show some love... 

You sucked me in to rewatch the series.

I’m halfway through season 1 and not having seen these episodes in 16 years really makes me appreciate how good season 1 is.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

You sucked me in to rewatch the series.

I’m halfway through season 1 and not having seen these episodes in 16 years really makes me appreciate how good season 1 is.

lol - It flew by for me.  and things really come together in (I think) a better and more cohesive way when binge watched. 

On 6/16/2020 at 10:16 AM, Rodey said:

Spoilers!!

Kidding. LOST was great for me until they opened the hatch. Then it started to slowly fall apart.

See, I think that was my problem.  I was vaguely aware of Lost Season 1 but life got in the way of actually watching it.  My entry point was Season 2 (and at that time the network was still showing Season 1 reruns every third or fourth week, so you got flashbacks within flashbacks watching it that way).  From a Season 2 perspective, I thought what the show was all about was pushing the button to save the world, and getting to the bottom of the the Dharma Initiative, unraveling the secrets of the Orientation film, de-coding the Numbers, anticipating a final showdown with the deGroots and Alvar Hanso.  All of that turned out to be just the window dressing for that season, not what the show was really trying to do.  A rewatch is probably in order, maybe when I retire!  :wishluck:

I am in the middle of doing an online workshop type of thing where we have to identify ourselves... It is one of those things that we all know that no one is ever going to read so we are all having some fun with it. 

Question:  How do you feel about your name?  Has your relationship with your name changed over time?  (50 words)

Answer: I honestly do not think of it.  I did not ask for the name I was given, but it was given nonetheless, and with it I have done my best. I don't have a relationship with it.  It is my name.  It's what my parents decided to call me since they liked the sound of it. 

I figured I would paraphrase Mr Eko.