• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disgusted with CGC at the moment...
4 4

215 posts in this topic

At the top of these posts, there is a gear symbol for follow preferences.  The box that says "Let others see that I follow this" is checked.  I don't see that option anywhere in General Preferences, to turn it on or off as a default. 

I can turn it on or off on each article I follow, but why nothing that I can set globally?  Maybe I don't want it to ever be checked.  Does anyone know how to control that? - Thanks

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Better yet, how about BTF3 "Clint Eastwood and the Empty Chair"?  lol

"Come out Eastwood!"
or
"The Woman Who Was Supposed to Die"

56 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

At the top of these posts, there is a gear symbol for follow preferences.  The box that says "Let others see that I follow this" is checked.  I don't see that option anywhere in General Preferences, to turn it on or off as a default. 

I can turn it on or off on each article I follow, but why nothing that I can set globally?  Maybe I don't want it to ever be checked.  Does anyone know how to control that? - Thanks

I can see it at the top, right in the center. It’s not a “gearbox”, but a green “+” sign.  Currently 144 followers. The one for each thread looks different(a gearbox).

16 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

I can see it at the top, right in the center. It’s not a “gearbox”, but a green “+” sign.  Currently 144 followers. The one for each thread looks different(a gearbox).

Maybe someone will tell us how to control that, other than on each individual post.  If it can be controlled any other way.

18 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Ok, let's have a go at answering this.

There are two main ways I know to follow a thread or forum. The first is by clicking on the green plus symbol which is at the top of each thread / forum:

1382657448_2020-06-2122_57_29.png.c4568bd84e8f1af86ca948f49587a3ef.png

For threads you start yourself, you can select the 'notify me of replies' button at the foot of the opening post of your thread before you post it:

1679709748_2020-06-2122_53_19.thumb.jpg.3e75518915920e2bd0585456ac67eb80.jpg

Both of those actions are proactive - you have to make the decision to follow the content.

To stop following the content you can of course uncheck the green symbol at the top of the relevant thread or forum. If you want to stop following everything, or change the preferences, then you need to go to settings either here (Manage Followed Content).....

665091295_2020-06-2122_50_25.thumb.jpg.f694af5426a1888f378fdd031aba8465.jpg

....or here (Followed Content):

306482336_2020-06-2122_46_54.thumb.jpg.7b856ea351bb758645dbe98f9b34dce4.jpg

Both selections will bring you to the 'Manage Followed Content' page:

1613162136_2020-06-2122_48_17.thumb.jpg.33b3deba93dffeccb18e238514d83449.jpg

From there you can select all, or bulk select the Topics, Forums etc that you no longer wish to follow. You can also change the preferences types too, including the ability to let others see what you are following:

Screenshot_2020-06-21-23-14-15.thumb.png.7873da0241147e53b392d49e7103c88d.png 

Remember though, once you delete them they will no longer appear in your 'My Activity Streams' content list if that is a function you use. 

Hope that helps, and that I understood your question :) 

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hope that helps, and that I understood your question :) 

I did have a good handle on following/unfollowing, and it agrees with your tutorial, so thanks for posting it.  The specific thing I am trying to isolate is the function that shows you to others as being a follower to the topic, the ability to set the default  to on or off.  There's a separate check box for it when editing at the top of the page under "Change follow preferences".  I can turn it on or off manually on each topic.  I'm looking for a way that I can set it to default as "not visible to others" across the boards.  Nowhere in the main Preferences section is it even listed, to my knowledge. 

15 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

The specific thing I am trying to isolate is the function that shows you to others as being a follower to the topic, the ability to set the default  to on or off.  There's a separate check box for it when editing at the top of the page under "Change follow preferences".  I can turn it on or off manually on each topic.  I'm looking for a way that I can set it to default as "not visible to others" across the boards.  Nowhere in the main Preferences section is it even listed, to my knowledge. 

That's in my explanation above - select all in 'Manage Followed Content' and then the middle button in the pop up lets you select 'Do not let others see...' 

It worked for me - give it a go 

Screenshot_2020-06-21-23-14-15.thumb.png.7873da0241147e53b392d49e7103c88d.png.97311a234bda5a903b4c2434e4db1d31.png

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Here it is on the mobile app (Account / Manage Followed Content):

Screenshot_20200621-234603_Chrome.thumb.jpg.06ff16e0268bdcd7374e26c523792627.jpg

Why do people troll around and worry what others see or don't see that they are following? Ive been around here for almost 13 years and frankly could care less who see's or knows what i do. This has been a pretty transparent board community for over a decade, lets try to keep it that way...if you feel like lurking in the shadows, are worried about who see's what you are doing, maybe move on...

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

I did have a good handle on following/unfollowing, and it agrees with your tutorial, so thanks for posting it.  The specific thing I am trying to isolate is the function that shows you to others as being a follower to the topic, the ability to set the default  to on or off.  There's a separate check box for it when editing at the top of the page under "Change follow preferences".  I can turn it on or off manually on each topic.  I'm looking for a way that I can set it to default as "not visible to others" across the boards.  Nowhere in the main Preferences section is it even listed, to my knowledge. 

See my previous reply...goes to you also.

34 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Why do people troll around and worry what others see or don't see that they are following? Ive been around here for almost 13 years and frankly could care less who see's or knows what i do. This has been a pretty transparent board community for over a decade, lets try to keep it that way...if you feel like lurking in the shadows, are worried about who see's what you are doing, maybe move on...

@Buzzetta

1 hour ago, KryptoSpidey said:

I silently follow FS threads sometimes.

No one needs to know what I am watching or looking for. 

I will use a book like NM98, a book I have never owned a copy of, nor see myself owning a copy of as an example.  Make believe someone is listing a few copies of NM98 and I am in the market, I might 'follow' the thread by tagging myself in it without anyone seeing I am monitoring the sale of NM98's.

I have done that when people list publishers, titles or for certain sellers I like to follow.  I don't like people knowing my buying business if I can help it. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I silently follow FS threads sometimes.

No one needs to know what I am watching or looking for. 

I will use a book like NM98, a book I have never owned a copy of, nor see myself owning a copy of...  Make believe someone is listing a few copies of NM98 and I am in the market, I might 'follow' the thread by tagging myself in it without anyone seeing I am monitoring the sale of NM98's.

I have done that when people list publishers, titles or for certain sellers I like to follow.  I don't like people knowing my buying business if I can help it. 

You're a very secretive fellow Buzz

1 hour ago, KryptoSpidey said:

I guess everyone should do as you do, @KryptoSpidey.  Why should anyone have a different take on things, a different opinion?  Glad I'm not a closed-minded know-it-all.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

You're a very secretive fellow Buzz

Not so much here... what I describe is good business sense.  Let's make believe I was still chasing after an ASM run of AF15-ASM100 and annuals.  If I was publicly following a thread and someone saw that I needed a few books in my run that they were listing, they might list it at a slightly stronger price seeing that the guy that really wants the book, wants it enough to follow the thread. 

This was something that was taught to me by a couple of board members when I joined.  Don't play your cards.  When I joined there was no function like we have so it was suggested to save the individual's sales thread as a bookmark in the browser and not to post something like "popcorn" or "following" if you were looking for anything of value or rarity. 

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's in my explanation above - select all in 'Manage Followed Content' and then the middle button in the pop up lets you select 'Do not let others see...' 

It worked for me - give it a go 

Screenshot_2020-06-21-23-14-15.thumb.png.7873da0241147e53b392d49e7103c88d.png.97311a234bda5a903b4c2434e4db1d31.png

Thank you for following up, @Get Marwood & I, but the action you show allows you to change your visibility status only AFTER you have followed something, instead of having it apply from the beginning.  So if I reply to a post, I am a visible follower by default, when maybe I just want to be an anonymous follower. 

I don't have a problem with people seeing what I am following, at this time, just was curious how to have it set differently from the beginning.  But it looks like you can't, unless you shut it off manually in the Manage Followed Content section.

And despite being trampled on about it by @KryptoSpidey, I'll choose to toggle it either way. 

Edited by Lightning55