• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is a 9.8 copy of Batman Adventures #12 so extreme expensive?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, rumrunner71 said:

I like Harley, too, but my sense with this one is that it's speculator bump, like Red_Hood suggested. For BA 12, it's been pricey for a bit, but it went nuts when the movie started filming and has continued since, I think with the continued interest in movies with Harley. We saw the same thing with other movie/series speculators. Umbrella Academy FCBD went nuts in early 2019, and then cooled down as some of the hype went away (and as people rushed to slab their copies.) I think BA 12 may do the same. Harley, in my mind, has some more staying power than UA, for some of the reasons other folks said (spent more time in dollar bins, bought for kids, etc.) But my impression is that the huge price increase may be speculator hype.

Agree its value is driven by past speculation that made the previously mentioned FOMOs freak out and keep it going. How many collectors were really desperately craving to own this issue before Suicide Squad rumors dropped?  

Anytime a question like the one posed by the OP come up the answer is always: Movie driven speculation. 

On 6/22/2020 at 3:35 PM, Keys_Collector said:

Or maybe it has to do with a character having more appeal to them as a different race/gender?

That is why the 'new' character titles typically don't last in the Top 50, after about issue #3. 

Thanks a lot for all your answers. It helped me to better understand the comics market and also the interaction with movies, merchandise etc. and especially FOMO. :)

Also thanks for clearing up the thread.

9 hours ago, pxpusher said:

So I stopped looking for the original book and got this instead. :D

8E872D72-B696-4F76-82F7-725C2BAABE07.jpeg

I like it. I bought the Dollar Comics reprint because I like the cover. Going to frame it.... Don't expect any kind of return on my 3.99.... :D 

On 8/4/2020 at 1:45 AM, Will96 said:

I like it. I bought the Dollar Comics reprint because I like the cover. Going to frame it.... Don't expect any kind of return on my 3.99.... :D 

I have that one too for reading. :)

On 8/4/2020 at 1:47 AM, Will96 said:

Also, did you look at the Bruce Tim #12 variant? Seems to be going for around $50.00-70.00.

Yeah, they are also nice and funny homages. :)

Edited by pxpusher