• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN starring Margot Robbie (TBD)
2 2

33 posts in this topic

This project is separate from the already announced franchise reboot being developed by 'Pirates' scribe Ted Elliott and 'Chernobyl' creator Craig Mazin.

Margot Robbie is setting sail with help from her Birds of Prey writer Christina Hodson.

Hodson has been tapped to write a new, female-fronted Pirates of the Caribbean for Disney, with Robbie attached to star.

While plot details are being kept in Davey Jones’ locker, the project, in early development, is not intended to be a spinoff of the long-running franchise that had pirate Jack Sparrow at its center, but rather a wholly original story with new characters under the Pirates moniker, itself inspired by the long-running attraction at Disneyland.

The new project is said to be separate from the already announced reboot of the popular franchise that has Pirates scribe Ted Elliott and Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin developing the story.

Longtime Pirates producer Jerry Bruckheimer is attached to produce both the Elliott/Mazin project and this new Robbie/Hodson project.

Pirates of the Caribbean is one of the most lucrative film franchises of all time, grossing over $4.5 billion across five feature films. But the Pirates franchise, fronted by Johnny Depp, has shown its age, with the fifth installment, 2017's Dead Men Tell No Tales, coming in with the second-lowest box office of the series ($795 million, unadjusted worldwide) only ahead of original film Curse of the Black Pearl. The studio has been plotting ways to revive the brand with stories from new talent.

Has there been any word whether the new Robbie film is still in development? Or, has the more recent Harley and SS 2 box office results curtailed DIS interest?

On 5/3/2022 at 1:43 PM, kimik said:

Has there been any word whether the new Robbie film is still in development? Or, has the more recent Harley and SS 2 box office results curtailed DIS interest?

Is this what goes through your mind?

On 5/3/2022 at 12:43 PM, Bosco685 said:

Is this what goes through your mind?

Actors/Actresses go through phases where they are bankable and where they are not. I guess my day job bleeds into the rest of the day too much as I tend to look at everything via a business case (can it sell) and the dollars and cents outcome. 

On 5/3/2022 at 3:54 PM, kimik said:

Actors/Actresses go through phases where they are bankable and where they are not. I guess my day job bleeds into the rest of the day too much as I tend to look at everything via a business case (can it sell) and the dollars and cents outcome. 

We run in the same circles as I have to perform enterprise-level risk assessments of business cases. But in our business we take the full picture into consideration - not our assumptions based on a limited view.

With a young actress like this having been nominated twice now for an Oscar (2017 for I, Tonya and 2019 for Bombshell), she also won other awards for her performances including 2019's Mary Queen of Scotts. Then she was praised for her performance in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. And everyone remembers Wolf of Wall Street.

So in this case a complete business case wouldn't come down to, "Well her comic book movies didn't always land!"

No, but there is recency bias. When this was announced she was at a peak and there was positive buzz going into the Harley film. Covid killed that, and then SS 2 did not deliver. Her star may not be shining as bright right now which would mean DIS could replace her. It happens all the time.

On 5/3/2022 at 5:26 PM, kimik said:

No, but there is recency bias. When this was announced she was at a peak and there was positive buzz going into the Harley film. Covid killed that, and then SS 2 did not deliver. Her star may not be shining as bright right now which would mean DIS could replace her. It happens all the time.

The Suicide Squad that had a massive hit spin-off Peacemaker which now is getting another spin-off with Amanda Waller?

:baiting:

On 6/27/2020 at 6:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

"female-fronted" is a risky proposition theses days.  No reflection on Robbie herself, she's a certified talent with genuine star appeal, a rare accreditation these days.  But the recent spate of remakes with an all female slant, have been horribly received.   It'll all be a matter of whether people see it has a positive evolution of the series, or the studio's talking down to people again.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, Microchip said:

"female-fronted" is a risky proposition theses days.  No reflection on Robbie herself, she's a certified talent with genuine star appeal, a rare accreditation these days.  But the recent spate of remakes with an all female slant, have been horribly received.   It'll all be a matter of whether people see it has a positive evolution of the series, or the studio's talking down to people again.

I bet eyes are on this Depp case from Disney towers

On 5/3/2022 at 6:54 PM, Microchip said:

The problem with those was horrible writing. The studios thought put women in the lead roles of these remakes and the -script doesn't matter. 

The -script matters. In every movie.

On 5/3/2022 at 5:35 PM, Bosco685 said:

The Suicide Squad that had a massive hit spin-off Peacemaker which now is getting another spin-off with Amanda Waller?

:baiting:

Peacemaker was much better than the SS 2 movie. I was fine with SS 2 personally, but it was not well received with the broader public and another WB dud in the end. Peacemaker was the best part of SS 2, as that was reflected in the success of the HBO spin-off. 

I am iffy on a Waller show. I am not sure that her character is strong enough to carry a series, but if Gunn is really involved then it has a chance. If they play it right, it could lead to a multitude of new character intros and potential spin-offs. 

Discovery/WB needs to let Gunn handle the SS-universe and set a multi-year plan in place for the properties involved, and then have the c-suite stay the eff out of the way.

Edited by kimik

The Sunday Times recently sat down with producer Jerry Bruckheimer to discuss his new film Top Gun: Maverick, which is coming out on May 24, 2022. During the conversation, he discussed that they are making some progress on Pirates 6.

When asked if it was still going forward he said "Yes. We’re talking to Margot Robbie," which might indicate that talks have regressed somewhat since the film's original announcement two years ago. He went on to reveal that "we are developing two Pirates scripts — one with her, one without."

On 6/1/2022 at 8:29 PM, bronze_rules said:

who wants to lay money there will at least be a lifetime movie made about their tumultuous relationship. Plenty of information to draw from now, too.

I bet you are right.

Hulu did the Tommy & Pam series.

On the heels of the actor winning his defamation trial against ex-wife Amber Heard, People spoke with an unnamed former Disney executive to discuss their thoughts on Johnny Depp's future with the studio. The anonymous exec said the chances for Depp's Pirates of the Caribbean return are high following his victory, believing the box office chances to be strong and comparing its chances to Top Gun: Maverick's recent success. See what the source said below:

"I absolutely believe post-verdict that Pirates is primed for rebooting with Johnny as Capt. Jack back on board. There is just too much potential box-office treasure for a beloved character deeply embedded in the Disney culture. With [producer] Jerry Bruckheimer riding high on the massive success of Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick, there is huge appetite for bringing back bankable Hollywood stars in massively popular franchises."