• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

some input please on process

9 posts in this topic

Ok, First let me say I'm sorry if this is somewhere else in the forums, I promise I tried to search and find the answers. The more I go through the board looking for answers, the more I get confused. I have a swamp Thing # 1 that I want to get graded but feel a pressing would really help due to some small indents in the cover. My question is can I send in just one comic to press and grade? And what tier should I go with as I think its an awesome grade but I'm no grader.and should I go quick press or the full press?? I'm sorry if this sounds like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person question but keep in mind I am a disabled veteran. I wish I could get my whole run done at once but I'm afraid we vets don't get as much as some may think to live off of. Thank you for any input and points in the right directions. Peace.

You can definitely submit the one comic for pressing and submission.

The submission tier may depend a bit on the value and therefore the likely grade.

someone else will hopefully come a long to help you w the rest of your questions

also, Cgc customer service might be helpful too.  You can email or call them

3 hours ago, revat said:

You can definitely submit the one comic for pressing and submission.

The submission tier may depend a bit on the value and therefore the likely grade.

someone else will hopefully come a long to help you w the rest of your questions

also, Cgc customer service might be helpful too.  You can email or call them

Thank you brother

If it's Swamp Thing #1 from 1972 then there are a few possible submission tiers. You're going to have to take your best guess as to the grade,

or you can take scans or pictures and post them in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" subforum. If it's near a breakpoint choose the lower tier but

CGC might bump it up a tier if they feel you're seriously undervaluing it.

1) Value tier is for books up to $200 in value. This would be appropriate for this book if it's below 8.5 (Very Fine+).

2) Economy tier is for books up to $400 in value. This would be appropriate for this book if it's 8.5 (Very Fine+) to 9.2 (Near Mint-).

3) Standart tier is for books up to $1000 in value. This would be appropriate for this book if it's 9.4 (Near Mint) or above.

9 hours ago, ghost of the wild said:

Ok, First let me say I'm sorry if this is somewhere else in the forums, I promise I tried to search and find the answers. The more I go through the board looking for answers, the more I get confused. I have a swamp Thing # 1 that I want to get graded but feel a pressing would really help due to some small indents in the cover. My question is can I send in just one comic to press and grade? And what tier should I go with as I think its an awesome grade but I'm no grader.and should I go quick press or the full press?? I'm sorry if this sounds like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person question but keep in mind I am a disabled veteran. I wish I could get my whole run done at once but I'm afraid we vets don't get as much as some may think to live off of. Thank you for any input and points in the right directions. Peace.

thanks for your service.

Think of the Fair Market Value, which drives the Submission Level along with age, as an insurance value should something happen to the book while CGC has it.  It also drives the USPS shipping fee back to you.  CGC may tell you that they bumped the book up to a more expensive tier though & charge you that level.  From what I've read on the boards, it doesn't happen that often (never happened to me).  At any rate it's a question of how much risk you're comfortable with vs how much time you're willing to wait (especially with an accompanying press).

One way to get an idea of the condition of a book is to post pics/scans in the "Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" forum where members will offer their opinions.  Then you can look at Ebay completed sales or other sites to see what comics at that grade sold for

Keep in mind. shipping 1 book maximizes your shipping costs.  For ex 1 book could cost you $32 with USPS while 5 books *in the same submission tier* cost you a little over $5 per book.

Best of luck.

shipfees.jpg

On 7/4/2020 at 4:49 AM, Doctor Dositheus said:

If it's Swamp Thing #1 from 1972 then there are a few possible submission tiers. You're going to have to take your best guess as to the grade,

or you can take scans or pictures and post them in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" subforum. If it's near a breakpoint choose the lower tier but

CGC might bump it up a tier if they feel you're seriously undervaluing it.

1) Value tier is for books up to $200 in value. This would be appropriate for this book if it's below 8.5 (Very Fine+).

2) Economy tier is for books up to $400 in value. This would be appropriate for this book if it's 8.5 (Very Fine+) to 9.2 (Near Mint-).

3) Standart tier is for books up to $1000 in value. This would be appropriate for this book if it's 9.4 (Near Mint) or above.

Thank you

On 7/4/2020 at 8:51 AM, csaag said:

thanks for your service.

Think of the Fair Market Value, which drives the Submission Level along with age, as an insurance value should something happen to the book while CGC has it.  It also drives the USPS shipping fee back to you.  CGC may tell you that they bumped the book up to a more expensive tier though & charge you that level.  From what I've read on the boards, it doesn't happen that often (never happened to me).  At any rate it's a question of how much risk you're comfortable with vs how much time you're willing to wait (especially with an accompanying press).

One way to get an idea of the condition of a book is to post pics/scans in the "Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" forum where members will offer their opinions.  Then you can look at Ebay completed sales or other sites to see what comics at that grade sold for

Keep in mind. shipping 1 book maximizes your shipping costs.  For ex 1 book could cost you $32 with USPS while 5 books *in the same submission tier* cost you a little over $5 per book.

Best of luck.

shipfees.jpg

Thank you brother, so I can just submit 1 or 2 books and they will be accepted for pressing then? I thought someone posted it had to be a minimum number of books, that part is also confusing me. 

8 minutes ago, ghost of the wild said:

Thank you brother, so I can just submit 1 or 2 books and they will be accepted for pressing then? I thought someone posted it had to be a minimum number of books, that part is also confusing me. 

No, u can submit as many or few as u want for grading & pressing.  There are some extra services which   require a minimum number of books like 'pre screening' where they will examine the books for a smaller fee before proceeding

3 hours ago, csaag said:

No, u can submit as many or few as u want for grading & pressing.  There are some extra services which   require a minimum number of books like 'pre screening' where they will examine the books for a smaller fee before proceeding

Thanks so much, I think I got my path laid out now. Can't thank Y'all enough for putting up with me. Peace