• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd -3rd prints.

5 posts in this topic

The question i have is for example Transformers #1 has 4 prints. 1st printing has 505 X 9.8 but the 2nd printing had only 2 X 9.8 and the 3rd printing has 5X 9.8 and a canadian print. Would the 2nd and third printing be worth more because if the rarity or less anyways? Any info would be great thx alot

Edited by keith garayt

Welcome To The Boards!!!  (thumbsu

I assume by your statement you are referring to CGC graded books at 9.8.

Unfortunately the number of books that are graded by CGC does not signify rarity, it only shows that more people with first printings are having their books graded as opposed to the number of folks with 2nd/3rd printings who do not bother having those books graded.

If you happen to be looking for a 2nd/3rd printing in CGC 9.8 then you would be willing to pay more since there are only a few, most people probably are not.

To determine value you first have to determine demand vs availability, what were the print run on all of those printings? (shrug)

If a new book comes out and there is only one copy and CGC grades it a MT 10.0 but nobody wants it, that book is worthless.

If a new book comes out and there are 50,000,000 copies printed but demand is high and 100,000,000 people want that book, that book would then go up in value.

The best way I can relate this is by the early 1990's when they came out with trick/gimmick covers, #1 variants, etc. (X-Men 1 with 5 different covers, Ghost Rider 15, Glow In The Dark Cover) and everybody wanted them and people hoarded them which artificially inflated the prices on "New Books". Then the publishers distributed 2nd/3rd printings because of demand and the value of the 1st printings skyrocketed, then...

Everyone decided now was the time to sell these books that they hoarded because the price was now high, the market then became flooded with books that had millions of copies printed that nobody wanted, it almost ended the comic industry.

To sum it up, value = demand vs. supply/availability and what an individual is willing to pay.  :preach:

Marvel Bankruptcy 1996.JPG

Edited by marvelmaniac

On 7/8/2020 at 6:21 PM, keith garayt said:

The question i have is for example Transformers #1 has 4 prints. 1st printing has 505 X 9.8 but the 2nd printing had only 2 X 9.8 and the 3rd printing has 5X 9.8 and a canadian print. Would the 2nd and third printing be worth more because if the rarity or less anyways? Any info would be great thx alot

2nd and 3rd print will be worth a lot less UNLESS there is something truly unique and collectable about them. If it's basically the same cover as the first then they will be worth less.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:51 PM, csaag said:

You get a big thumbs up for having a copy of the Daily News!!!    I always turned it over and read the 50 pages of sports.....

My Son and I were having breakfast at Denny's, saw the headline through the glass door on the newspaper box outside, bought a copy.

Unfortunately when I moved back in 2018 I could not take everything and the newspaper was one of things that got left behind, I do however still have the pic and the memory of where it came from.