• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
5 5

371 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2024 at 10:02 AM, Robot Man said:

Being a PCH guy like I am, I can see why you are attracted to the Matt Fox covers. I have been collecting and upgrading them for years. Problem is, others have discovered them and prices are escalating quickly. They have been somewhat common and available for years but are now pretty sucked up around here. 

Not too long ago you could knock down sharp copies for 15-20, but you still had to be on point ... they're definitely not represented like National Geographic, another favorite of mine. Those aren't all gravy either, try snagging the 1911 Machu Picchu issue in the wild. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/15/2024 at 9:56 AM, jimjum12 said:

Not too long ago you could knock down sharp copies for 15-20, but you still had to be on point ... they're definitely not represented like National Geographic, another favorite of mine. Those aren't all gravy either, try snagging the 1911 Machu Picchu issue in the wild. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I had a friend who had over a century of National Geographics complete, I want to say back to 1909 with no gaps, and quite a few earlier issues.

They've become slightly harder to find the past decade or so, I think.   From roughly 1950-2000, people believed that any house built in the US would collapse if there weren't a minimum of 10 years of National Geographic back issues in the basement, but they apparently finally figured out how to get around that problem. 

On 4/15/2024 at 12:08 PM, OtherEric said:

I had a friend who had over a century of National Geographics complete, I want to say back to 1909 with no gaps, and quite a few earlier issues.

They've become slightly harder to find the past decade or so, I think.   From roughly 1950-2000, people believed that any house built in the US would collapse if there weren't a minimum of 10 years of National Geographic back issues in the basement, but they apparently finally figured out how to get around that problem. 

I still subscribe since 1983.  I learned from my grandfather.  He started to subscribe them in 1939.  My grandmother hated them so much and already threw some but he put $300 in one magazine.  It's already gone.  My grandmother left them alone.  I enjoyed reading them at my grandparents' house.  Now, my wife hates them and I decided to tell her story about my grandmother's incident. She didn't touch them ever since.

On 4/15/2024 at 10:40 AM, lpsunburst said:

I had this one for a short time but sold it due to it being incomplete, still in search of a replacement.

JMW WT Image A.webp

Nice! I would have happily kept it even incomplete. It’s all about the cover and one I am very unlikely to obtain anymore.