• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All New Comics #8 vs Terrific #5

68 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I give a slight nod to the Terrific 5. Maybe it’s the color or slightly less busy than the All New 8. Just pops out at me more. Would love to get one one day.

LB Cole was art director and I suspect laid out the color design.  Ditto for Suspense 3. 

Schomburg's covers never popped more than they did for Continental/Temerson etc.

@lou_fine Yeah I would tend to agree. The point of the thread was not however to see which one was closer to Suspense 3 it was just to compare them side by side to one another as they are both Schomburgs that came out the same year. I am trying to gauge demand for value purposes and we have an almost split decision so far with most agreeing they are both awesome. The sale on Heritage last night intrigued me and as I stated the Terrific seems to be way more valuable I’m just trying to figure out why. The All-New is older, from a great publisher, and seemingly twice as rare based on census alone i could be wrong. I guess my answer could be that Rick controls the entire Terrific market and he sets the price I think that’s my answer right there hehe!! 😊 #GAtor for President (now i just need to sway him to the All-New side to make my copy worth more 🤪 Then again the sale could just be outlier of 2 folks wanting it bad enough at an affordable price who knows the market is still hot i think 

Edited by gino2paulus2

34 minutes ago, Et-Es-Go said:

I have been a fan of the hooded bad guys on golden age covers.  Why are they always planning to damage the ladies?  I was going to have my All New #8 in this shot as well only to discover I sold it many years ago, dumbazz huh.

Here is a shot of hooded bad guys and the ladies being saved by our heroes.  

Few Books.jpg

AMAZING!!

41 minutes ago, Et-Es-Go said:

I have been a fan of the hooded bad guys on golden age covers.  Why are they always planning to damage the ladies?  I was going to have my All New #8 in this shot as well only to discover I sold it many years ago, dumbazz huh.

Few Books.jpg

When I think of “hooded guys”, I think of Schomburg right away. He did so many classics for several different publishers. 

59 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

When I think of “hooded guys”, I think of Schomburg right away. He did so many classics for several different publishers. 

Agreed RM here is one of my favorites!! there seems to be a theme with what I like 😂

E3BBD453-9499-478B-B2C6-C93D90CBCDFB.jpeg

Edited by gino2paulus2

Artistic credit from top left to right are:  Charles Quinlin, Alex Schomburg, Leonard Cole, Mr. Schomburg again, and Briefer.  The Silver Streak book has no number so it is a bit odd.  I have seen copies of this book with a little black rooster on the cover, and it looked like a give away promotion for a shoe company.  The book does not seem to be incredibly hard to find, but I posted it as it fits the genre.  The Torture Meter Scale has these settings:  Mild Pain, Shooting Pains, Severe Headaches, Unbearable Agony, Near Death, and finally Death.  A pretty significant jump from headache to severe agony in my opinion.  How did they calibrate that thing?  

5 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Agreed RM here is one of my favorites!! there seems to be a theme with what I like 😂

E3BBD453-9499-478B-B2C6-C93D90CBCDFB.jpeg

Not only hooded bad guys, but Big Eared and Bug Eyed minions as well.  Many of his MM covers that are noted as bondage often have creepy guys like this on the cover as well.

2 hours ago, Et-Es-Go said:

Few Books.jpg

Beautiful run - years ago I had the dream of putting together a complete suspense run,  but they got so hot it quickly moved out of my price range. 

I've never seen #1 or 3 in person. They are like unicorns to me! 

52 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Beautiful run - years ago I had the dream of putting together a complete suspense run,  but they got so hot it quickly moved out of my price range. 

I've never seen #1 or 3 in person. They are like unicorns to me! 

Based upon what I've heard over the past few decades, Suspense 4 is apparently supposed to be the toughest to find out of the entire Suspense run.  hm

If it comes to being in grade though, it would come down to both Suspense 4 and Suspense 8 and the CGC census population report would seem to bear this out as the highest graded copies to date for both of these issues is only at the CGC 7.5 VF- condition level.  :cloud9:

15 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I have a preference 

B4CED467-70F3-4E93-B545-D9A00BDEBB61.jpeg

I still clearly remember the first time I heard about this book here.  :blahblah:

It was back in '95 during the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening and Fishler or somebody else was lucky enough to had latched onto the Overstreet copy and had to pay the grand sum of only $600 for the book.  Well, less than 2 weeks later there were big ads from Metro on the book with an asking price of something like $5K or $6K when top of guide was only around $700 or thereabouts at the time.  Definitely a big timing mistake by Fishler as both Geppi and Overstreet were apparently none too happy about this and as a result, then priced the rest of the hundreds of GA books "accordingly" which they had set aside for pricing later on.  :mad:  

Based upon what I heard through the grapevine, Fishler and the East Coast triumvirate did not end up closing the deal on virtually all of those books in the end as the prices were simply so high on them in light of what the Terrific 5 was going for in the open marketplace.  doh!  :devil:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Based upon what I've heard over the past few decades, Suspense 4 is apparently supposed to be the toughest to find out of the entire Suspense run.  hm

If it comes to being in grade though, it would come down to both Suspense 4 and Suspense 8 and the CGC census population report would seem to bear this out as the highest graded copies to date for both of these issues is only at the CGC 7.5 VF- condition level.  :cloud9:

I didn't get very far in my pursuit.   I owned 6 and 9 at one time. I've seen most of them over the years at shows and with dealers. Just never 3 or 1.  I've probably never seen 4 either come to think of it. 

I first found Terrific 5 while pouring over my fresh copies of the photo-journals 30 years ago.  It (and Suspense 3) will always be some of the coolest books ever printed in my opinion.

At the time, I spent a couple years trying to find a copy of either because they were so undervalued but never found one.  And then they went through the roof... :tonofbricks:

10 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

@lou_fine Yeah I would tend to agree. The point of the thread was not however to see which one was closer to Suspense 3 it was just to compare them side by side to one another as they are both Schomburgs that came out the same year. I am trying to gauge demand for value purposes and we have an almost split decision so far with most agreeing they are both awesome. The sale on Heritage last night intrigued me and as I stated the Terrific seems to be way more valuable I’m just trying to figure out why. The All-New is older, from a great publisher, and seemingly twice as rare based on census alone i could be wrong. I guess my answer could be that Rick controls the entire Terrific market and he sets the price I think that’s my answer right there hehe!! 😊 #GAtor for President (now i just need to sway him to the All-New side to make my copy worth more 🤪 Then again the sale could just be outlier of 2 folks wanting it bad enough at an affordable price who knows the market is still hot i think 

I think the HA sale sets a new level for low grade Terrific 5s. So while T5 is worth more it might just be that we haven't had a recent AN8 sale. The most recent 4.0 sale in GPA was a buy it now on ebay so the true value could be a bit higher. 

I only own the AN8 but I would give the edge to T5. When I was contemplating buying the AN8 I showed side-by-side shots of AN8 vs T5 to three friends who don't know anything about comics and did not tell them which one I was considering. They all preferred the AN8. 

All New Comics 8 CGC 3.5 FC copy.png

5 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I think the HA sale sets a new level for low grade Terrific 5s. So while T5 is worth more it might just be that we haven't had a recent AN8 sale. The most recent 4.0 sale in GPA was a buy it now on ebay so the true value could be a bit higher. 

I only own the AN8 but I would give the edge to T5. When I was contemplating buying the AN8 I showed side-by-side shots of AN8 vs T5 to three friends who don't know anything about comics and did not tell them which one I was considering. They all preferred the AN8. 

All New Comics 8 CGC 3.5 FC copy.png

Just to clarify, I'm not saying AN8 should be worth more than T5 just that T5 seems to have increased a bit recently but we haven't had any sales of AN8 in that same time period. So it is likely the case that All New 8 has also increased.