• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do members here produce their *own* art?

171 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, grapeape said:

That is amazing. I have no artistic talent but my dad was a very good painter and sculptor. Sadly all his paintings were lost and or stolen when he died in 2004. 
sixteen years later I was searching the backpack he had with him when he passed away. I found a sketch he made the day he died. I didn’t know it was there until now. He was very ill at the time but it was a gift to find it.

its a self portrait and though just a rough sketch from a dying man it resembles the excellent paintings he made when he was healthy and young.

This was a cool idea for a thread Terry.

BDE5DC81-3628-494F-814A-9B18909F237B.thumb.jpeg.9c0f97576f7388f7e952a527f71f16fa.jpeg

Oh, Wow, that's a great memory, thanks for sharing! My own dad had artistic sensibilities.  He was an engineer by trade and as a kid I used to leaf through some of his notebooks and would sometimes come across sketches he'd made that displayed a good grasp of human anatomy . . .

6 hours ago, The Voord said:

Oh, Wow, that's a great memory, thanks for sharing! My own dad had artistic sensibilities.  He was an engineer by trade and as a kid I used to leaf through some of his notebooks and would sometimes come across sketches he'd made that displayed a good grasp of human anatomy . . .

Like me you probably appreciate all kinds of artistic expressions. I credit my dads influence but also glad I’ve exposed myself to many genres.

We went to San Francisco years ago for an Leonardo DaVinci exhibit. Talk about human anatomy!!

Edited by grapeape

2 hours ago, Andahaion said:

I've mentioned before that I paint landscapes in the Tonalist tradition.  Started as a hobby and now getting more serious over the last year or so.  To that point, an online exhibition (thanks COVID) titled "2020 Best in Tonalism" just opened today put on by the American Tonalist Society.  Feel free to check it out if you like that sort of thing.  I've also included my two pieces juried into the exhibition.  Oh yeah, and I like comics and stuff.  

https://www.bestintonalism.com/

Evening Theme - 24 x 36.jpg

Fermata - 16 x 20.jpg

Very nice, well done!

22 hours ago, The Voord said:

Anyone else here have artistic sensibilities or aspirations?  I'd like to think that my interest in OA stemmed from a personal leaning towards creating my own drawings as a kid in art lessons at school (many years ago)

Last year, I decided to try my hand at sculpting (hey, it is a type of *Art* . . . going from 2D drawings to 3D objects).  I've always been a fan of the early 1960s TV series, THE OUTER LIMITS and for the past few years had been collecting full-size OL busts (usually produced in very limited quantities) and decided to try my hand at creating a few of my own.

Using YouTube tutorials, I educated myself into the procedures of sculpting clay busts, creating plaster molds and casting the end-product in latex (foam-filled in quick-drying rigid polyurethane) . . which I then painted, using an airbrush (another newly-acquired skill) with hand-brushed finishes.  As I suggest, you have to possess a certain degree of artistic sensibilities to try your hand at such things.

I very much consider myself to be on a learning curve . . . but here's my second-ever completed sculpt (third version) of 'Soldier', the second season OUTER LIMITS episode penned by the late, great, Harlan Ellison . . .

Wow !!  How big is your sculpture ?  And nice job on the flesh tones.  Especially since you were going off a black and white source material.

34 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Wow !!  How big is your sculpture ?  And nice job on the flesh tones.  Especially since you were going off a black and white source material.

Thanks.  It's fully to scale, i.e. size of a human head..

On 7/15/2020 at 9:37 AM, Andahaion said:

I've mentioned before that I paint landscapes in the Tonalist tradition.  Started as a hobby and now getting more serious over the last year or so.  To that point, an online exhibition (thanks COVID) titled "2020 Best in Tonalism" just opened today put on by the American Tonalist Society.  Feel free to check it out if you like that sort of thing.  I've also included my two pieces juried into the exhibition.  Oh yeah, and I like comics and stuff.  

https://www.bestintonalism.com/

Evening Theme - 24 x 36.jpg

Fermata - 16 x 20.jpg

These are beautiful.