• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do members here produce their *own* art?

171 posts in this topic

Some work-in-progress shots of my new sculpt . . . a full-size alien soldier bust from the OUTER LIMITS episode, 'Keeper of the Purple Twilight'.

This is one of four copies I've cast in latex.  This copy is now foam-filled with rigid-drying polyurethane and has been primed.  Final paint-job over the next day or two, so stay tuned for photos of the end-product . . ..

A screen-cap from the filmed episode is included for comparison.

1.jpg

Update 4.jpg

Update 5.jpg

Pretty much finished with my latest sculpture, the Plag, an alien presence from the OUTER LIMITS episode, 'Wolf 359'. I might come back to it in about a week's time with a fresh eye and see if any tweaks are needed. What started off as a nice easy one came with its own set of problems on the casting side and I had to re-do about 40% of him. It's all experience adding to the learning curve - as I only started making my own OL creatures a few years ago - having never tried sculpting before. For some reason, I'm not terribly fond of this one. Could be that that the original prop was a pair of hands in rubber . . . and all I'm seeing is a pair of hands . . . in latex rubber. Other than suggest some shadow areas with grey, it's not a terribly exciting paint-job. Overall, it's okay - but that's as far as I'll go.

Some photos of a work-in-progress leading to the finished thing (with a screen-cap from the filmed episode for comparison):

Plag 2.jpg

Plag 9 - re-do 1.jpg

Plag 9 - re-do 2.jpg

Update 1.jpg

Update 2.jpg

Plaggy 2.jpg

Some work-in-progress shots of my latest sculpture . . . a re-do of the Antheon from the OUTER LIMITS episode, "Counterweight' The plaster mold has now been made, ready to cast latex masks, which I'll commence Monday. Should stand about 15" tall when completed (foam-filled and painted). First photo is a screen-capture from the filmed episode, shown for comparison.
131930806_10158862271599596_655650643605

131908485_10158862271824596_612696591670

131977387_10158862271774596_104591361988

131897700_10158862271799596_479091863133

Actually, I do have something one might consider art if one is in a generous mood.

This is a recreation of the map of Middle Earth by Christopher and JRR Tolkien by me. It's on a poster board and this picture "de-ages" the piece. Click it to see the aged version and read more about it.

570723117_TolkienChristopherJRRTolkienandAlexJohnson.thumb.jpg.0aeb4ef45a30c2d519f1d816fc623e8f.jpg

Edited by alxjhnsn

Very cool to see all these recreations of Outer Limits aliens!  The scariest episode of television that I remember from childhood was "The Chameleon" starring Robert Duvall.  Absolutely gives me the shivers just thinking about that messed up laugh...

9de0090eec2530bb5aef2462a91c2e83.jpg.972fb396c0a1551055a3993e1f2f8be6.jpg

I've always gotten a kick of this production photo showing a cast member eating lunch.

1fb0eaa5b0854c9f2657bb9a51c8a16f.jpg.3ed643acdccbcbc6a791d973f96446b1.jpg

11 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Very cool to see all these recreations of Outer Limits aliens!  The scariest episode of television that I remember from childhood was "The Chameleon" starring Robert Duvall.  Absolutely gives me the shivers just thinking about that messed up laugh...

9de0090eec2530bb5aef2462a91c2e83.jpg.972fb396c0a1551055a3993e1f2f8be6.jpg

I've always gotten a kick of this production photo showing a cast member eating lunch.

1fb0eaa5b0854c9f2657bb9a51c8a16f.jpg.3ed643acdccbcbc6a791d973f96446b1.jpg

Terrific episode written by Robert Towne, scriptwriter of the classic movie, Chinatown.

I have a full-size Chameleon bust, which was made by someone else.  I only started sculpting my own stuff to plug gaps in my collection of OUTER LIMITS aliens.

e0UY7Eox_2703181145131sbpi.jpg

Galaxy.jpg

6 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Terrific episode written by Robert Towne, scriptwriter of the classic movie, Chinatown.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Robert Towne.  Chinatown is in my top 10 films of all time.  

I've read a few interviews with him and I think he was really good at developing a simple concept and maintaining the essence of what the story is about.  I found it interesting that he helped out Coppola on The Godfather and his brother co-wrote The Natural, another 2 of my favorite films.

John Huston in Chinatown... (shudder) one of the nastiest villains in film history.  And possibly the most realistic.  That closing scene is pretty close to perfect.

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Yeah, I'm a fan of Robert Towne.  Chinatown is in my top 10 films of all time.  

I've read a few interviews with him and I think he was really good at developing a simple concept and maintaining the essence of what the story is about.  I found it interesting that he helped out Coppola on The Godfather and his brother co-wrote The Natural, another 2 of my favorite films.

John Huston in Chinatown... (shudder) one of the nastiest villains in film history.  And possibly the most realistic.  That closing scene is pretty close to perfect.

The ending certainly packs a powerful punch.  I was actually watching it about a month ago and hadn't seen it since its original release.  A timeless classic!

I decided to re-do my second OUTER LIMITS sculpture, 'Soldier'. The first version was pretty good but I thought I could make some noticeable improvements now that I've got a little more experience behind me. Some end of day five photo updates. The clay sculpture has been sprayed with white plastic coat spray, to act as a barrier between the clay and the plaster mold - which has now been created. Some light plaster repairs to do on the inside of the cast then give it several days to dry more fully. Should have my first latex copy towards the end of the coming week . . .  Some attachments, such as rivets and the antenna, will be added in post-production.

SDC17454.jpg

SDC17455.jpg

SDC17456.jpg

SDC17458.jpg

SDC17460.jpg

SDC17461.jpg

SDC17462.jpg

SDC17469.jpg

SDC17471.jpg

Soldier 2.jpg

Have started to build my army of OUTER LIMITS 'Soldiers'.  Two today . . . three by Saturday! These are hollow latex casts of my latest sculpture. The one on the left is a few days old and the latex has cured a bit more than the guy on the right, who is fresh out of the mold today. As the latex cures, the colour begins to tan. They're hollow casts and will need to be filled with rigid-drying polyurethane foam, prior to painting and extras bits and pieces added . . . like rivets and stuff.

The guy on the right has not been seamed (i.e. flash from the two halves of the join eliminated).

SDC17478.jpg

Edited by The Voord