• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official September Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

366 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2020 at 9:43 AM, ShallowDan said:

As of this morning, with three weeks still to go, the Chamber of Chills cover is already at $55K ($66K all-in).  Anyone up for a guess on the final hammer?

And a final price of $174K all-in on this one.  Even including EC, is this a new record for a PCH cover?  Off the top of my head, I can't remember any EC covers in this territory.  

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

1. Black Panther being very top of mind due to the very recent tragic passing of Chadiwck Boseman 

2. Given the pandemic restrictions, people are waaaaaaaaaaay more bored now than they were last December and have generally lost their minds after being cooped up for 6 months

3. Given that the Federal Reserve has printed $3 trillion of new funny money since December, a portion of the population has more/much more money now than they did in December (while a large portion of the population is worse/significantly worse off due to pandemic-related effects, to be sure)

4. Heritage has a wider reach in original art than Profiles

The Art of John Buscema cover for $83K might have effected it in a small way.

40 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

So does this affect Buscema pricing moving forward? No secret that I have the last two pages from this issue (NOT FOR SALE!) so I find this Black Panther splash sales result pretty interesting. Might it just be an outlier for all the reasons suggested here?

Thinking of selling your Even an Android can Cry splash? 

:flipbait:

Edited by Brian Peck

3 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

EVEN an Android Can Cry Brian! EVEN!  Turn in your nerd card and Buscema Fan Club credentials at the front desk and don't ever come back. lol

Sorry multitasking at work and old age

Edited by Brian Peck

18 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

The Art of John Buscema cover for $83K might have affected it in a small way.

If anything, that incredible cover at $83K should have convinced people that this zzz splash shouldn't even be worth the $30K it fetched at Profiles.  :fear: 

52 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

And a final price of $174K all-in on this one.  Even including EC, is this a new record for a PCH cover?  Off the top of my head, I can't remember any EC covers in this territory.  

a frazetta EC sold for 400k many years ago

2 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Frazetta... This is as painful to watch as my last bout of constipation. They are trying to squeeeeeze out one last bit.

1.2 I’m trying to beat 5.4

1.2 do I hear 6 million?

to the phones?

to the floor?

wait back to the phones??

Im looking for a record, do I hear six?

six million.....

”is this thing on?”  🎤 

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, ShallowDan said:

I had a $40 k ceiling set aside for this, a personal want for a long time. I’m grateful my dreams crushed early on so I could get on with my life.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

If anything, that incredible cover at $83K should have convinced people that this zzz splash shouldn't even be worth the $30K it fetched at Profiles.  :fear: 

The Avengers 52 splash sat stagnant at $20k on one of our esteemed dealer sites. -I would’ve asked the same if I owned it but nobody bit even with the popularity of the movie.( Avengers 52 BP joins the Avengers) I just checked and no longer available. Haha

Coming soon to an auction with hopes of cracking $100k?

Speculation is a helluva drug....

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

I mean, with all due respect to present company, most comic artists are average to poor painters 2c .    Its just not the medium they have the most experience and skill in.     I like paintings from painters and drawings from draftsmen. 

Most great painters are great pencillers and great with ink too.  They're just great artists, full stop.

But it doesn't go the other way.  I love Carl Barks but I find his paintings to be so cringeworthy.

6 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

A price point that approaches rascality, but clearly avoids the level of shenanigans!  

Either way, it's much stronger than I would have guessed for a recreation.

I can imagine the conversation as the new owner proudly shows it to his friends.

Owner: (proudly) Just spent $1.2 million on this!

Friend: You picked up the cover of "A Princess of Mars" for only $1.2 million?!  Wow!!!  You got the deal of a lifetime!

Owner: Uh, it's not the cover.  It's a copy that Frazetta made shortly after painting the version that was used for the cover.

Friend:  Oh. :blush:  Uh, congratulations. 

[Awkward silence]

7 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Most great painters are great pencillers and great with ink too.  They're just great artists, full stop.

But it doesn't go the other way.  I love Carl Barks but I find his paintings to be so cringeworthy.

Agreed; I want paintings from painters because if they know what they are doing it’s the fullest expression of their art.   

someone like Barks - as you said, give me the  b/w stuff!

Edited by Bronty

4 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I can imagine the conversation as the new owner proudly shows it to his friends.

Owner: (proudly) Just spent $1.2 million on this!

Friend: You picked up the cover of "A Princess of Mars" for only $1.2 million?!  Wow!!!  You got the deal of a lifetime!

Owner: Uh, it's not the cover.  It's a copy that Frazetta made shortly after painting the version that was used for the cover.

Friend:  Oh. :blush:  Uh, congratulations. 

[Awkward silence]

Too true!  This is one of those situations where I can't help but think of what else you could buy for $1.2M. 

And given that Heritage's listing description alludes to the fact that the original is still in existence (at least presumably), I'm genuinely curious where this result would have it valued (and what would happen to the value of this piece if/when the original surfaces).