• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paintings and Line Work- Show Off Your Original Pulp Art
1 1

92 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2020 at 2:35 PM, detective35 said:

The Shadow - The Creeping Death - Jan. 15, 1933
21” x 30” (Oil on canvas)

I remember saying to a few people,  if I could have one Shadow Painting (or any pulp painting ever done), “The Creeping Death” would be the one.  

When it came up for auction at Heritage I couldn’t believe it, and I eventually ended up with it.  A heartfelt “thank you” to Ferd Bernjak, Glynn Craine, and Todd Hignite who helped me obtain it!

Dwight

D33BBB3E-C103-4D77-BF74-744186442692.jpeg

This is absolutely amazing... I love looking at this and knowing that a fellow boardie owns this!

On 12/4/2022 at 9:35 AM, RedFury said:

This is Lee Brown Coye's watercolor painting from 1940 called The Old D.L. & W. Station.  The real train station was built in Syracuse NY in 1877 and was demolished in 1940 when the tracks were elevated in the city.  Coye visited the site a made preliminary sketches before the demolition.  In this piece he contrasts the old with the new: the old train and station with the then modern automobile on the left.  The painting was exhibited at the Whitney Museum in NYC in 1941.  Another of Coye's paintings, Dark House, from the 1939 Whitney exhibit was purchased by The Met, where it still resides.

3zfhMEEh.jpg

This is an incredible piece of history form my home town!

Edited by Hibou

On 12/4/2022 at 8:35 AM, RedFury said:

This is Lee Brown Coye's watercolor painting from 1940 called The Old D.L. & W. Station.  The real train station was built in Syracuse NY in 1877 and was demolished in 1940 when the tracks were elevated in the city.  Coye visited the site a made preliminary sketches before the demolition.  In this piece he contrasts the old with the new: the old train and station with the then modern automobile on the left.  The painting was exhibited at the Whitney Museum in NYC in 1941.  Another of Coye's paintings, Dark House, from the 1939 Whitney exhibit was purchased by The Met, where it still resides.

3zfhMEEh.jpg

Wow, I never saw this post before today. Hearty congratulations on these stunning examples of American Regionalism!  :golfclap: