• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a robot buy comics? Bots, sniper tools, more?

12 posts in this topic

I've seen this pop up in hobby related postings (e.g. Usagi Yojimbo #10 Peach Momoko, or with the Target GI Joe exclusives, or even a little in my Spawn groups). 

• Can a bot buy a comic book? Or a toy?
  • Are bots a thing in comics? Is it happening?  If it is... to what extent? 

As far as I can see based on quick research... it perhaps started infiltrating sneaker collecting c2004-05, minor evidence of collectors asking for bots via Reddit.

"The lady says" If you know basic python coding, you can program a basic autofill -script and that there are places on the internet where you can buy code (if you know what you are doing) or pay someone to program a bot. 

She cited bots for "likes" in influencer culture or BOTS Act of 2016 (RE ticket sales). 

Also, the bot that watched 1000hrs of Batman

Finally, Cal-Bot.  

On 12/20/2009 at 9:56 PM, Ares said:

boxboy-with-cat.jpg

The answer is sure. A bot does not sleep, humans do. Amazon is getting to be like a stock market with books. Remember the days when the price today was the same as a month ago? When there wasn't daily volatility in book prices? When amazon would refund the spread?

Nope, bots are here to stay. Everything is getting arbitraged now, along with volatility.

For someone to say bots don't have money is a pretty poor misunderstanding (if not being facetious).

Edited by bronze_rules

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

McTavish? 

Along with Robbie T. Robot, two 1950s method acting bot pioneers way ahead of their time. 

You are seemingly unfamiliar with "Cal-Bot" it seems to seem. 

So my working hypothesis was that bots are not buying comics, but now I think it is happening (but in its infancy).

I educated myself with a few videos of botting sneakers and learned that it became common knowledge by 2019, with many Youtube videos dedicated to botting. Bots are expensive… a cheap clunky bot is about $200 and the best bots cost $4-5k, plus $$ maintaining the bot, which can be monthly or every 6 months. Then you also have to pay for proxies (to avoid an IP ban), running a server (free through google?), cook groups ($/mo), and proxy accounts for residentials which can cost up to $2 each. Some sneaker bots include- Dashe, KickStation, Kodai, Balko, Phantom, Ganesh, Whatbot, etc.

It appears the same type of Shopify bot could have been applied to the IDW SDCC at Home con exclusives, which was helped when IDW replaced it's crashed Wordpress website with a SDCC@Home Shopify storefront. 

IF botting comics is a thing…. then this is what it MIGHT look like. A new-ish reseller of Supreme streetwear, Jordan Brand sneakers and Amazon electronics that has sold 4 copies of Usagi Yojimbo #10 Peach Momoko con exclusive and still has 2 copies listed for sale. Likewise this seller hit on a few Jordan drops, but not the super-hyped drops, rather steady earners like Jordan 1s or the Jordan 12 University Golds that are available at multiple “foot sites” (many bots target these) like Footaction, Foot Locker, Eastbay and Champs. This implies a Shopify/Foot Sites bot with approximately 5-7 proxy accounts.