• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC authentic?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, stolon 5 said:

Why would a dealer selling CGC slabbed comics on ebay find it necessary to black out , with a black marker pen, the 10 digit number above the bar code ? Many thanks Geoff 

So that they can use the same pic on e-bay and avoid people returning a book because it is not the exact same serial number found in the e-bay pic.

21 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I think the best answer is there is no good reason other than laziness.

In my humble opinion an eBay seller should post a picture of the actual item for sale. I always check the registry number in the CGC database before I buy a slab an eBay to avoid any funny business.

Wrong

34 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Could you explain this answer?

It's this explanation:

9 hours ago, comicparadox said:

Some lowlifes might use(steal) the barcode to improve their “standing” in the CGC registry. 

I really expected a bit more from the forum. .I've discovered  the answer. The dealer (UK) is lifting cgc  comics that are for sale in the states relisting them in the UK at greatly increased prices. If /when they  sell he simply buys the American comic and apologises for the delay in postage to the UK buyer..

Edited by stolon 5
Legal ?

5 hours ago, stolon 5 said:

I really expected a bit more from the forum. .I've discovered  the answer. The dealer (UK) is lifting cgc  comics that are for sale in the states relisting them in the UK at greatly increased prices. If /when they  sell he simply buys the American comic and apologises for the delay in postage to the UK buyer..

I don’t think the members answering you were considering anything as nefarious as a seller drop shipping someone else’s books, but the more common or practical reason a barcode would be blacked out.  It might be of benefit for boardies both in the UK and the States if you would “out” the dealer who’s engaging in this practice.

1 hour ago, steveinthecity said:

I don’t think the members answering you were considering anything as nefarious as a seller drop shipping someone else’s books, but the more common or practical reason a barcode would be blacked out.  It might be of benefit for boardies both in the UK and the States if you would “out” the dealer who’s engaging in this practice.

Agreed. This sounds like a candidate for the eBay blocked users list 

6 hours ago, stolon 5 said:

"I really expected a bit more from the forum?" Can you say what you were expecting? You asked, essentially, a hypothetical question, received several replies within a day offering suggestions, and you are disappointed? I'm confused.

7 hours ago, stolon 5 said:

:whatthe:

1 hour ago, rumrunner71 said:

"I really expected a bit more from the forum?" Can you say what you were expecting? You asked, essentially, a hypothetical question, received several replies within a day offering suggestions, and you are disappointed? I'm confused.

The answer of course to that question and many others could be “well, they’re probably criminals”.  but most people, even if they aren’t entirely pure of heart, or they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, are not actual criminals.  And rightfully so, as indicated in this instance, the people have not accused someone of being a criminal without more information, especially when there appear to be other reasonable explanations.