• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Examples of Framing DPS? Share please :)

22 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Will_K said:

Do you have an opinion about using Best-Test Acid-Free Paper Cement ??

https://www.dickblick.com/products/best-test-acid-free-paper-cement/

Way longer answer than needed... apologies up front.

I suppose it would depend on its use. If we are simply talking about reattaching text bubbles, or trying to fix a loose corner of a paste up, I think there are definitely worse ways to go. I wouldn’t have a problem with someone using it for that purpose. The stuff used originally was more than likely way worse.

Speaking of which, if the stuff used is the kind leaving nasty crusty yellows glue stains under the bubbles, so long as they are lifting off, it might be a good time to have a pro take a look at cleaning them up before reapplying a bubble. If they look pretty clean under there, have at it. Though, please please please put them in the right spot. Nothin like attaching a bubble crooked, or moved... If in doubt, blow up the published page on your computer to the size of the art, print, and use a light box to register the art and align the bubble.

There are other adhesives that do a similar thing, like Zip Dry. But I tend to like anything I do to be totally reversible.

For those kinds of tasks, if you aren’t mixing your own adhesive, (and who really wants to do that, unless they need a lot) and Especially if it’s something important, I am partial to Jade R, or for permanence Jade 403, to fix up any batches of art that need fixing all at once. Like checking and fixing any lifting bubbles on pages through the collection. These are book binding adhesives. They are totally archival and tough. Jade does have an approximate 90 day shelf life, before it can start to cure in the bottle. So that’s why I buy it and do any “housekeeping” at once.  Every few years I could pick up a bottle and use it to fix this and that. I will save up things that need maintenance for a couple years. And things that are fixed stay fixed. And this reminds me I’ve noticed a couple pages that could use some attention, so thanks for the question!

All of that said, I’d never use something like Rubber cement or Jade, or anything to glue a wavy art board down to another board. It would be neigh unto impossible to get it off the backer without damage in the future. And who wants to buy art some other goof glued down? 

So what to do?

2 options. In subtle cases, it is simply a matter of placing the pages between 2 sheets of artists non stick tissue paper. Then placing on a large flat surface like a coffee table, with a large flat weight laid over the top. I have a coffee table with a piece of glass for a top, that I use. I can add books over the top for added pressure. The nonstick sheets are important to keep the paint/ink from sticking to the weighted glass if left for a long period of time. I’ll leave a piece for months at a time. It’s rare a piece doesn’t flatten out eventually. 

If the piece has ripples or tighter waves to it from moisture exposure or even from the moisture of the brush, ink, paint used to create it... it is what it is. You can press it, you can iron it, it’s really not likely to go completely flat, or totally stay that way. Better to accept the state of the piece as it exists, than try and will it into being flat. As you are more likely to damage it messing around with it. The paper fibers have moved, and trying to get them back flat may mess with paint or inks present in the waved area. 

Less is more. Be attentive but comfortable with what you are doing. If it is outside your comfort zone, find someone more comfortable with it. And if it’s got serious value, there are pros out there.

One last thought on the topic. 
Today’s modern art might be tomorrow’s Sandman, or 1st appearance of Wolverine/X-23, or Walking Dead or whatever. The point being, if we treat our artwork like it has value now, it will be in better shape in the future, should it turn into something more.
And to balance that, not every con sketch of X-23 or commission of our dog playing with Superman needs to be treated like a masterwork. It’s ok to put up a sketch with a thumbtack. Or get that $50 doodle drymounted if you think it’s too wavy or whatever. But especially as it comes to published art, give some thought to its treatment, at least. Hopefully it outlasts is all. Some of it with value (hopefully) in the future. A lot of it won’t. Just like comics. But just like comics, you can’t always predict what will last in the long run. And you don’t want to be “that guy” in the future that had Oliffe color your Wolverine pages, cause you thought it looked better.

-e.