• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom #3 still a 9.8?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Just picked up a copy of Venom #3 (3rd Print), and the copy looks great. There are just a few minor issues I'm seeing along with edges and I'm wondering if they would knock the book down from 9.8. I'm not sure if any would qualify as manufacturer defects. The issues on the front could only be seen through my phone when I was zooming in; I attached larger front photos to give an idea of how small they are.

If you guys could let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it!

Back 1.jpg

Back 2.jpg

Back 3.jpg

Back 4.jpg

Front 1.jpg

Front 2.jpg

Front 3.jpg

Front 4.jpg

Front 5.jpg

Edited by ftlepore

Those color rubs are probably from the comic shifting against others during initial shipping. That's not a manufacturing defect, but exactly how much CGC deducts for them varies somewhat from book to book. However, they're also really not the problem here.

The FCUL is the problem. I suspect that started life as a bindery tear, but that's far, far beyond "bindery tear" levels now. There is surface material missing from the front cover, and what will likely be deemed a nascent spine split. Oh, and the FCUR isn't great, either; it seems to have some impact damage (which could, maybe, press out, but I wouldn't press this because nothing can help the other corner!).

Honestly, I think this is a 9.0 book, plus or minus one grade level.

3 hours ago, mysterymachine said:

I'm not sure why you asked if it would "knock it down" to 9.8? Is that what it was sold as, or was it pre-graded 9.8? In any case the book is not 9.8 maybe 9.4 at best.

What he said.. 

Why would you assume it is/was a 9.8?