• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Daredevil 270
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I only see a couple of small spine ticks and a slight dent on the bottom left corner.   

It's possible a press will help,  but I think it's a 9.0 as is. 

The bar code means it's a newsstand edition.  There was a boardie who wrote a great article about it that I can't find right now,  but basically it had to do with how marvel (and others) changed their distribution model in the early 80s.

Newsstand editions essentially meant, the publisher would take back unsold books. Direct editions were sold to shops at a discount,  but the shop then owned unsold copies. 

This model made newsstand editions more rare (unsold books were taken off the market). 

What does that mean for value?  I think it's a mixed bag. There are collectors who seek out newsstand editions and will pay a premium for them. There are also collectors who hate the UPC code and won't buy them. 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

I only see a couple of small spine ticks and a slight dent on the bottom left corner.   

It's possible a press will help,  but I think it's a 9.0 as is. 

The bar code means it's a newsstand edition.  There was a boardie who wrote a great article about it that I can't find right now,  but basically it had to do with how marvel (and others) changed their distribution model in the early 80s.

Newsstand editions essentially meant, the publisher would take back unsold books. Direct editions were sold to shops at a discount,  but the shop then owned unsold copies. 

This model made newsstand editions more rare (unsold books were taken off the market). 

What does that mean for value?  I think it's a mixed bag. There are collectors who seek out newsstand editions and will pay a premium for them. There are also collectors who hate the UPC code and won't buy them. 

Thanks for the info on barcodes..... I knew I had purchased both at the store... While I tend to like a cover with no barcode, a lot of the Marvel comics I've seen without the barcode still have the white space there with Spider-Man there so it's a bit of wash between the two for me....

I was thinking if I submitted, I would definitely go with the press.

I agree with 9.0.  One more thing to note...direct sales copies can have a bar code as well.  You’ll know it by the smaller bar code to the right of the main one.  It will have 5 digits above it, where yours only has two.  Plus, it will say ‘Direct Sales’.

The pics below are an example of the difference between bar codes.  My comic database includes which version the book is...if there are different versions to begin with.  Newsstand books can be more desirable in certain comics, so I like to know what I have without having to dig it out of the box.  Lol. (thumbsu

Edited by Galen130

9 hours ago, Galen130 said:

I agree with 9.0.  One more thing to note...direct sales copies can have a bar code as well.  You’ll know it by the smaller bar code to the right of the main one.  It will have 5 digits above it, where yours only has two.  Plus, it will say ‘Direct Sales’.

The pics below are an example of the difference between bar codes.  My comic database includes which version the book is...if there are different versions to begin with.  Newsstand books can be more desirable in certain comics, so I like to know what I have without having to dig it out of the box.  Lol. (thumbsu

Thanks for sharing.  I learned something new!  

Did all publishers write "Direct Sales" on the bar code when it wasn't news stand? 

9 hours ago, Galen130 said:

Yes, I have a couple Alien comics that have the "newstand" upc and seem to be the more desirable one on Ebay.... 

Thanks for the info!