• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Midnightshadow a Boardie? ...
1 1

45 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I heard he was Doug Schmell. Many of the photos Midnight Shadow uses on eBay are the same photos used on Pedigree Comics website.

I think those may be consigned because Doug uses board name Captain Tripps for his auction announcements.

Thanks for the help, folks. I asked because even though I have a resale license, eBay automatically charges me sales tax, which can become a significant addition on more expensive items. I was hoping to possibly avoid that, which wouldn't be illegal or anything. He has some very nice material. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I also have a resale license and have submitted it to EBay several times with no avail. They keep giving me the run around so I gave up. 

Sadly, sellers on eBay and consigners in auctions get bids a lot lower due to buyer’s premiums and taxes. 

On auctions like HA, I have to figure in close to 40% on my bids. Consigners get hit with that in addition to what they are charged by the auction house. And I usually miss out on the book. 

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sadly, sellers on eBay and consigners in auctions get bids a lot lower due to buyer’s premiums and taxes. 

Given how stratospheric prices on Heritage have been, I'd hate to see what the prices would be like if they weren't being "suppressed" as a result of buyers' state sales taxes. 

I would have to say that my impression is that the imposition of states sales taxes has had zero impact on books and OA that I track.  I'm in a zero sales tax jurisdiction so I haven't needed to factor any state sales tax into my bidding at all, and yet my buying has plunged in recent years because I'm being outbid like crazy (and I don't think I'm a cheapskate bidder).  Competing against bidders from states with sales tax hasn't given me any kind of edge at all.

Edited by tth2

3 hours ago, rjpb said:

Hmmm, I submitted a CA resellers license to ebay  last October, and it took about a week to go into effect, but I've had no problem since. Also, no problems  with the auction houses. 

Well, I started out by giving them my number. Then they wanted a photo of it so I sent that, then, that didn’t work for them and wanted a pdf. Ok, I sent that. I called and they told me that because so had a MAC they couldn’t read it. They made it so hard, I just gave up. I think they wern’t equipped to handle it or didn’t want to at the time.

Doesn’t matter much anymore for me because I rarely buy anything there any more. 

Hertiage was no problem but again, I rarely buy anything there either. 

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Given how stratospheric prices on Heritage have been, I'd hate to see what the prices would be like if they weren't being "suppressed" as a result of buyers' state sales taxes. 

I would have to say that my impression is that the imposition of states sales taxes has had zero impact on books and OA that I track.  I'm in a zero sales tax jurisdiction so I haven't needed to factor any state sales tax into my bidding at all, and yet my buying has plunged in recent years because I'm being outbid like crazy (and I don't think I'm a cheapskate bidder).  Competing against bidders from states with sales tax hasn't given me any kind of edge at all.

I like you have bid VERY aggressive on stuff I really want and almost always lose out. There just isn’t much I need anymore to pay a record price for and then add in 40%. 

Not to mention, most are slabbed books which give me almost zero enjoyment. I much prefer buying a nice raw copy in person from a dealer or collector I like and trust. And I get a lot more enjoyment from getting a little deal on a book than just be the sucker who paid the most...

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

sorry to be off topic, but as far as sales tax, since i now live in oregon, which has no sales tax, i know ebay wont charge me, but do heritage and CL charge it, regardless of where i live as the buyer?

10 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

sorry to be off topic, but as far as sales tax, since i now live in oregon, which has no sales tax, i know ebay wont charge me, but do heritage and CL charge it, regardless of where i live as the buyer?

I don’t think so because the tax rate is figured where you live. If you have none, they can’t figure it in. 

14 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thanks. i was led to believe some sellers base it on their location, not mine. perhaps thats wrong...

They should only do that if you are purchasing something at their location in person. For example, most states with a sales tax require state sales tax to be collected by those setting up at shows, regardless of whether the seller or purchaser are from the state in question. Whether sellers and buyers actually comply is another thing altogether.   

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thanks. i was led to believe some sellers base it on their location, not mine. perhaps thats wrong...

It used to be that the only time an internet buyer had to pay sales tax was if the seller had a physical presence in the same state.  So Heritage buyers in Texas had to pay Texas sales tax, and then when they opened offices in CA and NY, buyers there had to start paying their state sales tax.  Which was why it was clever at that time for Comiclink to relocate to Maine from NY, because they probably had a whole lot fewer buyers from Maine?

But now buyers have to pay their state's sales tax, regardless of where the seller is located.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:47 AM, jimjum12 said:

Thanks for the help, folks. I asked because even though I have a resale license, eBay automatically charges me sales tax, which can become a significant addition on more expensive items. I was hoping to possibly avoid that, which wouldn't be illegal or anything. He has some very nice material. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

He might have some nice material, but his asking prices are quite high.