• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS CAME BACK A WHOLE GRADE LOWER
2 2

133 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Then it's impossible to know if CGC would have also done 6.0 if sent to them instead. You win some you lose some, I wouldn't blame either company for doing their job as professional graders.

Saying "CBCS came back 1 grade lower" is not a fair statement as you did not simply send a CGC comic to be regraded by CBCS. This is more along the lines of a comic doing down a grade after it was regraded after a signing, and more handling, which is very common. For all we know, the same result would have happened at CGC.

Good point...

16 minutes ago, shadroch said:

A CVA sticker claims that the book is a superior copy for a grade.

A check mark says don't be fooled by the books cover. There is a reason the book looks better than the grade.

The  exact same thing, right?

A CVA sticker is applied once you've paid your $12.95...I mean, only after the book is reviewed through the case.  Meaning the cover looks nice for the grade.  They have no idea if its "superior" for the grade since the inside could be a mess. 

A check mark says the cover looks nice for the grade, but there might be some shirt going on inside the book.

In either case, dear consumer, buy/look-up the notes if you'd like to know more.

Same shirt, different display method.

26 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

A CVA sticker is applied once you've paid your $12.95...I mean, only after the book is reviewed through the case.  Meaning the cover looks nice for the grade.  They have no idea if its "superior" for the grade since the inside could be a mess. 

A check mark says the cover looks nice for the grade, but there might be some shirt going on inside the book.

In either case, dear consumer, buy/look-up the notes if you'd like to know more.

Same shirt, different display method.

A waste of money IMO. The cover is a small part of the book. I'd rather read the grader's notes than have a $12.95 sticker applied. Does it mean you'll get more when you sell? Who knows. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by misterrmystery

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

CVA is done by a different company at an additional fee, while the other is a courtesy from the grading company.

Exact same thing, no?

We're reaching for the politeness scale to find a difference?  Fine, in that regard I'll grant you that the other guys' politeness is superior to Currently Verifying Anything.

49 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It just says the cover is nice, but it's not a superior book. If it was superior than other books in that grade, it would be of a superior grade. 

My understanding is that a CVA sticker is supposed to mean the book is at the very top of the grades range. If everything under a 9.0 is given an 8.5, a CVA book would have gotten an 8.8 if such a grade existed.  I think it is a bad joke. I recently noticed I had two CVA books, that were sold with no mention of the sticker.

The check mark, I think, is useful.

"CVA's proprietary, tamper-evident holographic sticker provides assurance that the comic book you own has met our strict standards for outstanding eye appeal and superior structure within the numerical grade assigned by CGC.

CVA's distinctive sticker allows collectors, dealers and investors, with any level of experience, to easily identify these premium-quality examples in any grade.  A CVA endorsement adds value for anyone interested in the CGC graded comic book market, buyers and sellers alike."

I think Butters once came up with a similar criteria...

South Park Season 13 Thread Of Current Events | NeoGAF

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

No, you are mistaken. One is hype, one is a warning. If you don't see the difference, I don't know what else to say. 

The book Literally has nothing wrong with it on the inside.. lol 

42 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

"CVA's proprietary, tamper-evident holographic sticker provides assurance that the comic book you own has met our strict standards for outstanding eye appeal and superior structure within the numerical grade assigned by CGC.

CVA's distinctive sticker allows collectors, dealers and investors, with any level of experience, to easily identify these premium-quality examples in any grade.  A CVA endorsement adds value for anyone interested in the CGC graded comic book market, buyers and sellers alike."

I think Butters once came up with a similar criteria...

South Park Season 13 Thread Of Current Events | NeoGAF

What is a CVA? LOL