• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Top 5 Silver Age Key Books
2 2

39 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, piper said:

Poised for a bump?  This book has sky-rocketed in the past year.  I never really wanted this book (more of a GSX1 guy) and it looks like  I missed my window to buy one.

True.  I should have been more clear, i think once Marvel officially announces whatever the plans are for including the X-Men in the MCU then the additional bump will come. Bumps on top of bumps.  I bought a copy off these boards in May for at or a little above GPA and based on recent Ebay sales it looks like the value has already gone up about $600.

On 9/6/2020 at 4:15 PM, bpc3qh said:

I think the D.C. books--Showcase 4 and 22, Brave and the Bold 28, Flash 105, and 123, Green Lantern 1, JLA 1--have a lot of room to grow, and can probably be had for a discount at the moment.

I apprerciate all the DC info, for I'm not well informed in that matter. . . . . . . . . Thanks a lot!

On 9/5/2020 at 2:18 PM, Memorex said:

If you were hired to be a Comic Book investment consultant and your client wants 5 key books between 4k-6k, which would be your picks? . . .  Considering they will surelly go up in a decade!

What make you think that all of these books will "go up in a decade!"?  

1 hour ago, Memorex said:

I apprerciate all the DC info, for I'm not well informed in that matter. . . . . . . . . Thanks a lot!

As this thread demonstrates, the DC books are certainly a different beast than the Marvel keys. I definitely am an optimist when it comes to the DC books; I think that, if you invest in them, you can potentially see a greater percentage ROI (if not raw value return) than you will with the big-name key Marvels. But that's by no means a unanimous opinion.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:15 PM, bpc3qh said:

I think the D.C. books--Showcase 4 and 22, Brave and the Bold 28, Flash 105, and 123, Green Lantern 1, JLA 1--have a lot of room to grow, and can probably be had for a discount at the moment.

I tend to agree. DC have not seen hype a fraction of marvel. It's deserved because marvel has simply done a better job managing their heroes and story-lines. However, once (if?) DC cracks the code.... the upside is huge. 

I found this thread to be extremely useful mainly because I would like to invest similar amounts. Really like the logic employed and the cool comics cited. Have the values really changed, this much, in less than two years??? Would love a re-boot of this topic because all the keys referenced are SKY HIGH now.

On 2/15/2022 at 5:35 PM, profholt82 said:

When people talk about how X books are going to go even crazier once they join the MCU, I have to wonder. The X movie franchise under Fox is already among the top 10 grossing of all time, well into the billions of dollars. I mean, how much bigger can X-Men really get?

I thought the same with AF 15, and then spider-man NWH happened

On 2/13/2022 at 3:07 PM, KirbyJack said:

My personal favorites today are

1. Fantastic Four 1

2. Journey into Mystery 83

3. Strange Tales 110

4. Avengers 4

5. Fantastic Four 4

This is a good list based on the OP. However, I would give one up for FF52. I just don’t know which to replace. 

Boy have things changed since September 2020.  

Given a $4k - $6k price range I would probably pick these guys: 

1) DD1 

2) Avengers 1 

3) Avengers 4 

4) FF48 

5) Strange Tales 110. 

I think you could get any of those in pretty close to mid grade for that price range. 

On 2/15/2022 at 11:44 PM, Wolverinex said:

I thought the same with AF 15, and then spider-man NWH happened

Exactly, the hype of a new trailer or tease of characters cant be underestimated in this MCU age. Even for books that you would think are already established for the time being!

This would be my list...

1. Thor #165 CGC 9.2-9.4

2. Fantastic Four #5 CGC 5.0ish

3. Tale of suspense #39 CGC 4.0ish

4. Journey Into Mystery # 83 CGC 4.0ish

5. Hulk #1 CGC CGC 1.0ish

On 2/10/2022 at 3:59 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I found this thread to be extremely useful mainly because I would like to invest similar amounts. Really like the logic employed and the cool comics cited. Have the values really changed, this much, in less than two years??? Would love a re-boot of this topic because all the keys referenced are SKY HIGH now.

Well its a little past 2.5+ years, but to answer your question and re-boot, have the values really changed?  You betcha.  Lets take a look, with Memorex's picks for example:

My pics right now would be:

Tale of suspense #39 CGC 4.0   (Go Collect $6,250)  as of today Go Collect $15,500 

Journey Into Mystery # 83 CGC 4.0  (Go Collect $6,250) as of today Go Collect $15,500 

Hulk #1 CGC CGC 1.0 (Go Collect $5,250) no price on Go Collect but lets say $10,000

Tales to Astonish #27 CGC 6.5 (Go Collect $6,000) as of today Go Collect $18,500 but I highly doubt this FMV as there haven't been recent high grade comp sales.  Lets say $10,000.  

Fantastic Four #5 CGC 5.0 (Go Collect $5,500) and the winner as most others agreed, as of today Go Collect $17,500 which is probably undervalued as recent 4/20 sale was $19k.  

So to answer, prices are even SKY HIGHER.  Can't go wrong with blue chip keys.  Secure your copy if you can.