• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Family 1 Restoration Removal
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Still extremely new to the world of collecting but I was thinking of purchasing this book and having the restoration removed. My question is can you even remove C-1 cover reinforce and color touch up ? My purpose would be to add to my collection and sell maybe one day for profit and I know restored books are frowned on. Thanks in advance to all answers. 

439CA4E8-D696-424E-B45A-6D1E42E28752.jpeg

Edited by Nazirite

There’s subforum to ask these kinds of questions, “grading and restoration” dig around a bit, you’ll find it.

but I would say generally unless you yourself have some experience with restoration and the removal thereof, it probably isn’t a good idea to buy with the hopes of profiting one day.  

you have to figure not only if the restoration can be removed, but evaluate the condition it will be in after the removal, and the pricing of any other work that may need to be done like pressing or cleaning.  Of course also the pricing of the actual restoration removal.  I’m no expert but I do think usually small amounts of color touch are removable, but it may also depend what was used, same with the reinforcement.

Lot of variables that make it hard to make a decision.  Good luck. 

On 9/8/2020 at 10:44 PM, Nazirite said:

Still extremely new to the world of collecting but I was thinking of purchasing this book and having the restoration removed. My question is can you even remove C-1 cover reinforce and color touch up ? My purpose would be to add to my collection and sell maybe one day for profit and I know restored books are frowned on. Thanks in advance to all answers. 

439CA4E8-D696-424E-B45A-6D1E42E28752.jpeg

This is a big key book. So if it's available for sale in this state, it's because people smarter than you and me have figured out that it isn't worth it. The grade will be lower since the colour touch will be scraped off. So you'd be going for a loss of 1-2 grade points, which would incur a loss of value equal or more than what the book is worth as a restored 6.0.