• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty staples sitting in a cgc case since 2001. (Hopefully they look better than Dylan's photos)

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Need some advice on a comic I just bought. I recently bought a superman 14 8.0 restored. The book has some pretty rusty staples and has been in the cgc case since 2001. I purchased the graded notes but cgc has not sent them yet. Restoration includes color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned, re-glossed 

I am wondering if I should replace the staples but I concerned that the rust could have spread to the pages. Is that something someone has experienced and how much would that affect the grade?Would love to get some opinions on if the staples rust has spread to the book. I really don't want to send it return it but I might. 

If it does spread to the pages do you think through restoration is it possible to maintain the grade?

Also I added a photo of the rusted staples debris that is inside the cgc case. Some of it has fallen to the bottom of the case. 

Best,

Aaron

IMG_9835.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_9842.jpg

IMG_9843.jpg

IMG_9853.PNG

IMG_9852.PNG

If done properly, the grade should not change. The problem is that there could be a mishap during the staple change (like a tear) which could lead to a lower grade. But then again, it's already purple label so any defect done when dissassembling the book could be undone with restoration.

So yeah, if sent to a proffesional, the grade should remain the same.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

If done properly, the grade should not change. The problem is that there could be a mishap during the staple change (like a tear) which could lead to a lower grade. But then again, it's already purple label so any defect done when dissassembling the book could be undone with restoration.

So yeah, if sent to a proffesional, the grade should remain the same.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

36 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

That really sucks. 

Hopefully the rust hasn't damaged the pages.

I agree with the above. Work with a professional, get some opinions and advice, and get it fixed the right way. 

I can suggest a couple pros if interested.

yes please :)

I hate to say it, but I'd be shocked if it hasn't stained the body of the book.  This looks like one of those books that was stored poorly (i.e. fireproof safe).  I would bet the rust wasn't there at time of encapsulation...

Sorry to see this.

10 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I hate to say it, but I'd be shocked if it hasn't stained the body of the book.  This looks like one of those books that was stored poorly (i.e. fireproof safe).  I would bet the rust wasn't there at time of encapsulation...

Sorry to see this.

I hate to say this, but I see this a ton... 

That is why I cringe at times when I see sales threads and they note "No returns on Graded Books", "I have not control over the grade and what you see is what you get".  But the person does have control on how the slab was stored..

Edited by SamPool