90's cheap paper and grading?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

4 posts

Hi - 

Not new to collecting, but deciding to grade some of my favorite issues. I have a newsstand Batman 457 that is in great condition, basically un-read, but has a slightly weak 'feel'. I guess how I would describe it is the paper quality from that run feels a little cheaper than some other eras. 

With that, the only issue I can see is slightly OW pages.

But the bigger question is - does that cheaper 'feel' affect the grade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,406 posts
11 minutes ago, Jjmmm said:

Hi - 

Not new to collecting, but deciding to grade some of my favorite issues. I have a newsstand Batman 457 that is in great condition, basically un-read, but has a slightly weak 'feel'. I guess how I would describe it is the paper quality from that run feels a little cheaper than some other eras. 

With that, the only issue I can see is slightly OW pages.

But the bigger question is - does that cheaper 'feel' affect the grade?

It's just newspaper. Doesn't effect grade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,472 posts

Yeah the only thing to watch is that a lot of late 80s and early 90s paper seems to soak up moisture and can leave you with a rippling effect. It is noticeable, the bottom of pages will appear rippled and there will be no real evidence of water damage. These books just need a good press is all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,089 posts
4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah the only thing to watch is that a lot of late 80s and early 90s paper seems to soak up moisture and can leave you with a rippling effect. It is noticeable, the bottom of pages will appear rippled and there will be no real evidence of water damage. These books just need a good press is all. 

They aren't water-damaged and the rippling also appears at the top. It's just poor-quality paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,472 posts
On 9/14/2020 at 3:29 PM, Lazyboy said:

They aren't water-damaged and the rippling also appears at the top. It's just poor-quality paper.

Right, I just mean what causes the rippling is the fact that they did soak up moisture on a more microscopic level and were very sensitive to temperatues and humidity and rippled easy. But you don't see enough of it to where it damages the paper or stains or anything. Hence why a nice press can help :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1