Artist ID Help - Additional Pics Posted
1 1

24 posts in this topic

13,610 posts

Can anyone tell who may have done these sketches?  I only have this one pic right now but tomorrow I can get some close-ups if need be.

Thanks for any help.

sketches.thumb.jpg.292d62714b3056c1855db0e066a9b58b.jpg

Edited by telerites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,884 posts

Hard to tell if the signature is authentic with that resolution, but it certainly looks like John Byrne's scribble sig.  Or it looks like it's supposed to look like John Byrne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,610 posts
Just now, thunsicker said:

Hard to tell if the signature is authentic with that resolution, but it certainly looks like John Byrne's scribble sig.  Or it looks like it's supposed to look like John Byrne.

Thanks Tim.  I will post a close-up of the sig tomorrow.  I thought it looked like Byrne too.

They are really well done sketches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,610 posts
1 minute ago, thunsicker said:

2012-11-27_092913_JB_sigsc.jpg

He's had lots of signatures over the years so you have a lot to choose from.

I have a stack of books, many early X-Men that I had him sign at a con in the late 70s.  He signed them on the first page.  I also had sign Giant Size Dracula #5 (his first Marvel work I believe)

I need to dig that box and take a look at them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,059 posts
1 hour ago, telerites said:

Can anyone tell who may have done these sketches?  I only have this one pic right now but tomorrow I can get some close-ups if need be.

Thanks for any help.

sketches.thumb.jpg.292d62714b3056c1855db0e066a9b58b.jpg

You should post them on Byrne robotics. He should ID it for you pretty quick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,410 posts
3 hours ago, Will_K said:

I don't see any John Byrne.

Me either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,610 posts

I as able to pick up the skethces and looking at them in hand - not Byrne.

Here are more pics

20200915_171501.thumb.jpg.5f3449aae17c1a852db688520175354c.jpg20200915_171516.thumb.jpg.5c6ad8c604ddb019ca7080577b80c9b5.jpg20200915_171534.thumb.jpg.f2e0410be780d04d748490ddc90fbfcf.jpg20200915_171547.thumb.jpg.66ed67ab6a50d90c2d4a3abf440f8b0b.jpg20200915_171558.thumb.jpg.3588421d2d0e08df73917c560dd4f80c.jpg20200915_172440.thumb.jpg.3cfcf1c6706343384291607c488ae20b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,610 posts

@MR SigS postulated Sears in my cross-post in Comics General. I think he may be right.

Edited by telerites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,610 posts
10 minutes ago, MIL0S said:

Looks like Mark Spears sig.

Okay that would explain my confusion.  I think he inadvertently typed Mark Sears.  I haven't bought a new comic since the mid 80s but I know of Bart Sears so I wasn't sure if that was what was meant.  I do not know Mark Spears but if he the one I found googling, I am an avid Universal Monsters fan and he evidently has an affinity for them as well based on some of his art.

Is this the Mark Spears you believe may have done these sketches?

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/mark-spears/shop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
722 posts
5 minutes ago, telerites said:

Okay that would explain my confusion.  I think he inadvertently typed Mark Sears.  I haven't bought a new comic since the mid 80s but I know of Bart Sears so I wasn't sure if that was what was meant.  I do not know Mark Spears but if he the one I found googling, I am an avid Universal Monsters fan and he evidently has an affinity for them as well based on some of his art.

Is this the Mark Spears you believe may have done these sketches?

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/mark-spears/shop

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-incredible-hulk-mark-spears.html

Yes, that's the sig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 posts

I'm happy Mark Spears's name has surfaced now in this topic, because I was writing just before a long reply demonstrating (with several samples from the 90's to now) why it could not be Bart Sears signature and style... You saved me time and efforts. (relief) (worship)

 

Several samples from Mark Spears CAF pencils gallery show these sketches are from him indeed.

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=2052

Many others B&W samples as significiant (style and signature) there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216 posts

Later to the party after the mystery has been solved... It makes sense that it's a more contemporary artist since Beast's cat-like appearance would place the piece after 2001, when cat-Beast debuted in Grant Morrison/Frank Quitely run on New X-Men.

BwtJofB.jpg.bd4ddcdabec07b5e929eff46e4b026e2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,610 posts
5 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Are all three Spears’ work? That Beast looks a bit like John Cassaday art to me. 

I just assumed they are since I have no clue of any artist past the mid 80s but you know the Beast is not signed that i can find so it very well could be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, telerites said:

I just assumed they are since I have no clue of any artist past the mid 80s but you know the Beast is not signed that i can find so it very well could be.  

I certainly am not sure myself, but it just looks a lot like the way Cassaday draws him, imo.
 

I’m also noticing some differences in the drawings, like how the joints and hands are shaded/lined, but the Beast’s hair could be throwing me off on that front. The beast artist looks like they might do the multiple lines next to each other sort of shading like Romita did, while the Storm looks like a different style of contour shading. I could just be looking too hard for differences, tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,610 posts
54 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I certainly am not sure myself, but it just looks a lot like the way Cassaday draws him, imo.
 

I’m also noticing some differences in the drawings, like how the joints and hands are shaded/lined, but the Beast’s hair could be throwing me off on that front. The beast artist looks like they might do the multiple lines next to each other sort of shading like Romita did, while the Storm looks like a different style of contour shading. I could just be looking too hard for differences, tho.

I appreciate the insights.  I am really surprised it is not signed unless there is some sig hidden in that mess at the bottom.  I assume these were convention sketches so you think it would be signed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216 posts
4 hours ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I certainly am not sure myself, but it just looks a lot like the way Cassaday draws him, imo. I’m also noticing some differences in the drawings, like how the joints and hands are shaded/lined, but the Beast’s hair could be throwing me off on that front. The beast artist looks like they might do the multiple lines next to each other sort of shading like Romita did, while the Storm looks like a different style of contour shading. I could just be looking too hard for differences, tho.

Good point about Cassaday.  He drew a snub-nosed Beast like the one in the commission above:

Cassaday.jpg.765b5bd3935d7131a64c5a4eeb419643.jpg

Whereas Jimenez and Van Sciver (the other two published X-Men artists whose style reminds me of this) followed Quitely's original dog snout profile. Jimenez:

1925114198_Jiminex1.thumb.jpg.52770ca588082e28612d72b5dcd7b9e5.jpg

Van Sciver:

278279731_VanSciver.thumb.jpg.79a8836f501f893cfe24a01f439bc433.jpg

Note also that all three drew Beast with only three fingers and a thumb on each extremity. Except one time that Jimenez forgot:

1342843570_Jiminez3.thumb.jpg.89abf98daf090a394c91731b44e5e1d1.jpg

It seems weird that any of those guys would fail to sign their work, though.

By the way, is it gauche to post examples from the published art like this? I haven't seen others do it much. I don't want to violate forum etiquette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1