• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 361
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Sorry I don't have pics of the back cover but my brothers and I bought this book when we were kids and it first came out on shelves, so it has a lot of sentimental value. The book was heat sealed in the bag by the comic shop owners and I don't want to take it out unless I really need to. I see there are some spine ticks and stuff along the side. It's been in the bag and board for 28 years and I'm wondering what it might grade at.

20200922_233248-02.jpeg

20200922_233252-01.jpeg

20200922_233828-01.jpeg

20200922_233307-01.jpeg

20200922_233319-01.jpeg

20200922_233325-02.jpeg

On 9/14/2021 at 10:48 PM, TCan said:

This book is back and it was 9.8 white pages! It was kept in the vacuum pack (the shop we bought it from vacuum sealed their books) in a Kraft macaroni box for 30 years!

Two things - first, congrats on the 9.8! Second - what? A Kraft macaroni box?? Like a cardboard box that a bunch of Mac and Cheese came in? I'm confused but it made me laugh.

On 9/14/2021 at 10:31 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Two things - first, congrats on the 9.8! Second - what? A Kraft macaroni box?? Like a cardboard box that a bunch of Mac and Cheese came in? I'm confused but it made me laugh.

Thanks! 362 and 363 also came back 9.8 white pages. These are more keepsakes from when my brothers and I were kids and I sent them in thinking maybe 9.0s and mostly wanting to preserve them and give to my brother as a present. It's just cool they're 9.8s; they'll never leave the family.

As for the box, I had another look and I was mistaken all these years.

It is in fact a cardboard box that Fiesta-brand plastic cutlery came in, with a lid made of the lower carton of a case of Kraft parmesan cheese that happened to fit . It fits copper/modern books perfectly.

They were stored stacked on top of each other since around 1990 when my brothers and I first started buying comics. I think we have reader copies of these in a "pack your s***, you're fired" banker's box that I'll send in someday just to preserve.

20210915_131018.thumb.jpg.7565992eb411c2657606df10e07d6a44.jpg

On 9/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, TCan said:

Thanks! 362 and 363 also came back 9.8 white pages. These are more keepsakes from when my brothers and I were kids and I sent them in thinking maybe 9.0s and mostly wanting to preserve them and give to my brother as a present. It's just cool they're 9.8s; they'll never leave the family.

As for the box, I had another look and I was mistaken all these years.

It is in fact a cardboard box that Fiesta-brand plastic cutlery came in, with a lid made of the lower carton of a case of Kraft parmesan cheese that happened to fit . It fits copper/modern books perfectly.

They were stored stacked on top of each other since around 1990 when my brothers and I first started buying comics. I think we have reader copies of these in a "pack your s***, you're fired" banker's box that I'll send in someday just to preserve.

20210915_131018.thumb.jpg.7565992eb411c2657606df10e07d6a44.jpg

That is awesome - very cool!!

I was going to write 9.6 then I saw grading was completed. But 9.8 was not out of the question as the quality of the pics were not so good :)

Congrats on the 9.8.

#361 back in the day was a heavily ordered and hyped book. Not usual in that situation for a book to actually live up it's alleged at the time potential.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/15/2021 at 2:29 PM, MAR1979 said:

#361 back in the day was a heavily ordered and hyped book.

Heavily hyped Spawn of Venom for over a year if I remember correctly. There's a lot of copies out there.

Edited by grendelbo

On 9/15/2021 at 3:29 PM, grendelbo said:

Heavily hyped Spawn if Venom for over a year if I remember correctly. There's a lot of copies out there.

Yeah I found it odd that a book with so many 9.8s on the census is worth so much but it's a strange market these days. I do need Spawn 1 which is thankfully several times less expensive, but still more than what I thought it'd be.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:49 PM, TCan said:

Yeah I found it odd that a book with so many 9.8s on the census is worth so much but it's a strange market these days. I do need Spawn 1 which is thankfully several times less expensive, but still more than what I thought it'd be.

As long as demand maintains so too will price. However with so many copies in high grade it won't take much of a demand drop to change that.   Then again I could say same thing about Infinity Gauntlet 1 and Amazing Spider-Man 300 and Killing Joke #1 and Dark Knight 1, etc.  

Guess what I'm attempting to convey is Supply and Demand 101 eventually will reign supreme :)  Although "a market can remain irrational longer than many can remain solvent" - to paraphrase Wilde.