• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this normal for ebay minimum bid auctions?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I was the top bidder on an item, but the reserve wasn't met. Then my $17.76 bid was topped, with the new bid being $18.26, still reserve not met. I raise my bid to $23.00 when suddenly the high bid jumps to $100.00. As the person had made that top bid days ago and was the leader at $18.26, shouldn't the new top bid been $1 more than mine?

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I was the top bidder on an item, but the reserve wasn't met. Then my $17.76 bid was topped, with the new bid being $18.26, still reserve not met. I raise my bid to $23.00 when suddenly the high bid jumps to $100.00. As the person had made that top bid days ago and was the leader at $18.26, shouldn't the new top bid been $1 more than mine?

I don’t know if exists, but maybe there’s some sniper system that gets you to the minimum reserve within a few seconds before the auction ending?

Any time an entered bid hits the Reserve, the current leading bid is supposed to go to that amount, and the Reserve is removed.  Not sure why that wouldn't have happened when the competing bidder put in the proxy bid at the beginning. 

You might want to check the link that lets you see each bid as it is made by proxy.  That might give you better info.

13 hours ago, shadroch said:

Maybe a third person bid $95 which pushed the high bid to $100 (not sure of bid increments at that price)?  No reason a bid should jump without a counter bid that it beat.

Activity below the reserve is meaningless.

It only takes one person bidding to reach the reserve.  In a sense, the seller is the "2nd bidder" since they "win" the auction if no one meets the reserve.  When just one person bids above the reserve, the price jumps up to that price because the seller was willing to "bid" against that one (real) bidder.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/reserve-prices-work?id=4018

19 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:
19 hours ago, Moater said:

Not Ebay, the sniping system.

I don't think it could know until it's reached. It's way faster than a human, though.

Activity below the reserve is pointless, so ignore all bids below $100 (if the reserve is $100).

If someone sets a snipe (or makes any last minute bid) for $100 or any number above $100, they will win the auction for $100.  

They could bid $5,000 and still win for $100.  Ebay does not show the actual bid amount. Only the amount needed to win.  When it looks like someone wins by just one bid increment (or exactly at the reserve price), that's not their actual (secret) bid unless they win by less than the minimum increment.

The bidder never knew the reserve price before that moment bidding at or above it. Ebay wouldn't reveal a bid of $101 or $5,000 if the reserve was $100.

Edited by valiantman