• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 for Press and Resub!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

This is a nice copy.  I say leave it be.  Unless you want to improve the cleanliness because you're going to keep it.  I don't think the amount of dirt on the book is what brought the grade down.  From the notes it was the amount of creases, color breaks and the stain on the back cover.  Those things cannot be fixed from pressing and dry cleaning.  IMO I feel it would still be a 5.5 or maybe a 6.0 even after a clean and press.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:36 PM, ftlepore said:

It should be the 5.5 that sold on eBay, and that's not entirely true. The last 5.5s before this one sold for $2811, and two best offers were accepted for below $2700. I don't think that's too far off of the market price for a 5.5, and this one had the press/clean potential for me.

I also won the recent 7.0 that sold for $3100, but the seller cancelled the order three minutes after the auction ended (which sucked, and I assume was because he didn't get the price he wanted; great way to avoid the cost of putting a reserve on the auction). Meanwhile, two recent 6.5s have gone for $3500 and $3395, so the prices are kind of all over.

Either way, I didn't get it to flip it. I was looking for a copy of 181, and this felt like a good opportunity to see if it could be improved, and I felt like the price for a 5.5 was in line with previous copies in the past couple months.

That sucks about the cancelled ebay order.  Can sellers do that?  Isn't that the reason why they have to place a reserve?  Is there anything you can do about it?  Just seem dishonest to me.