• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do with an already signed 9.8
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Asking everyone’s opinion please.  recently I submitted 24 books graded books CGC that were already encased . I had them all pressed , not 1 single book came back with a Bump up grade , on the plus side no book bump down in grade(to me it’s just a wash)  . If the book is already SS (trying to get more digs added)  , would you risk cracking it open if you already had let’s say  let’s say 9.4 - 9.8 , would you risk sending it back to CGC for another signature . Knowing the grade could decrease. 

i just got my Micronauts back Ss 9.8 by Michael Golden . I want to get it signed by Al Milgrom do I risk it or be happy with what I have ? 

on a side note sent in a 9.0 Moonight #1 9.0.(no notes)  Sent it in to get signed by Jim Shooter . The book was encased on 11/25/19 No Notes and I submitted it 8/5/20 to get shooter to sign it and get pressed. Well I got the book back and it graded At a 7.0 and I’m baffled . I got the reason why , but now I am wondering what happened exactly  . The previous 9.0 . Notes says front cover mending color breaks . Just wonder where those notes and call outs were just 9 months prior . Little upset , but CGC did make it right . This is what I am afraid up when I resubmit my 9.8’s. 

any suggestions , thoughts, ideas,

comments 

The higher the grade the riskier, both in terms of the most likely for grade drop, and the largest value drop.  

depends on the facilitator too.

Depends how much value you personally get out of the second signature, because it’s a financial loss from that perspective either way, even if you keep the grade.  So it’s obviously not purely financially motivated.  so the answer is within your heart, look inside yourself

1 hour ago, Wolverine43 said:

Asking everyone’s opinion please.  recently I submitted 24 books graded books CGC that were already encased . I had them all pressed , not 1 single book came back with a Bump up grade , on the plus side no book bump down in grade(to me it’s just a wash)  . If the book is already SS (trying to get more digs added)  , would you risk cracking it open if you already had let’s say  let’s say 9.4 - 9.8 , would you risk sending it back to CGC for another signature . Knowing the grade could decrease. 

i just got my Micronauts back Ss 9.8 by Michael Golden . I want to get it signed by Al Milgrom do I risk it or be happy with what I have ? 

on a side note sent in a 9.0 Moonight #1 9.0.(no notes)  Sent it in to get signed by Jim Shooter . The book was encased on 11/25/19 No Notes and I submitted it 8/5/20 to get shooter to sign it and get pressed. Well I got the book back and it graded At a 7.0 and I’m baffled . I got the reason why , but now I am wondering what happened exactly  . The previous 9.0 . Notes says front cover mending color breaks . Just wonder where those notes and call outs were just 9 months prior . Little upset , but CGC did make it right . This is what I am afraid up when I resubmit my 9.8’s. 

any suggestions , thoughts, ideas,

comments 

If you can't bear the thought of a 9.8 coming back lower then don't send it, easy as that.

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Does Al Milgrom add enough value to this to make the risk worthwhile?

not at all financially, but that doesn't seem to be his priority otherwise he probably wouldn't even consider it.

Do you love Al Milgrom? If so, do it

Are you more worried about the loss of grade than you are joyed by a Milgrom signature? Then do not do it

If for value, does Milgrom's signature matter? I don't think so personally. No disrespect but Golden is the more appealing signature.

I get there is a market for multiple signature but to me, I feel it ruins books. I like one nice signature, sure. And hey, maybe even a second on the inside of a page (for whoever did the interiors or whatever). But 2, 3, or 4 sigs on a cover. Not a fan. 

I would also argue that adding the Milgrom sig could hurt your target market. Whatever Micronauts book it was, that is a series that can be found plentifully in high grade. Chances are someone who wants Golden's sig won't care about Milgrom. You are needing to find the guy/gal who needs to have both. Why would they pay more for an extra sig they may not care about?

Edited by comicginger1789