• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subgrades to overall grade question

16 posts in this topic

So Ive got a card that came back 8.5, 9.5, 8.5, 9.5. It would make sense to me that w the subgrades averaging out perfectly to a 9, that it should get a 9, but it got an 8.5. Its such a beautiful card, I cant help but feeling like I kinda got the shaft :/ Every single other 8.5 I have viewed thru ebay, IG, google etc all have subgrade averages of about 8.6 or less. Also I have found many 9's with subgrades averaging out to 9 exactly like mine.

Any thoughts/insight very much appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by nv17

This happens all the time with subgrades.  As it's been explained to me the 4 sub grades aren't worth the same.  Ie surface is the most important sub grade.  So by having it as the lowest on the sub grades will give you a lower overall grade.

image.png.3bda5734b88a164459859aee77781df8.png

Blastoise Unlimited. Cen- 9, Cor 8.5, Ed - 8.5, Sur 7.5 = 8

Talk about getting the shaft (cen 7, cor 9.5, ed 9, sur 9.5) = 7.5

image.png.32538c15db27002d8a47f1ed06de27ae.png

6 hours ago, CournalCrunch said:

Phew, thats much better! Makes me reluctant to send any cards in though to be honest.... 

That is a competitor slab :gossip: don't tell cgc

Of course you don't have to get the sub grades (PSA don't do sub grades),  BGS and CGC are optional.

• Administrator

One of the rules on sub grades is if the two lowest subgrades match, that is the final grade. That is what happened here. If the sub grades were 8.5 8.5 10 10 it would still be an 8.5.

Paul

1 hour ago, Jern said:

So it’s an average of the two lowest sub grades then?

He said if the 2 lowest match. So if you got 7.5, 7.5, 10, 10 it will still be a 7.5. But if you got 8.5, 10, 10, 10 my guess is that it would be a 9-9.5

subgrades are never averaged. there are many "rules" using the subgrade that makes the final grade for instance if the 2 lowest subgrades match that is the final grade. another rule is the final grade will never be 2 grades (for cgc this is half grade so a 9 is two grades above an 8)  above the lowest subgrade so for instance is the subgrades were 7.5 10 10 10, the highest the grade could be is a 8.5, however depending on what subgrade was the 7.5 could mean you only receive a 8. i do not know all the "rules" if anyone know more of these "rules" please add on.