• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth trying for a press and regrade?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I recently received back one of my first CGC submitted book Amazing Spiderman 301.  It was a book that I had bought off the comic stand and never read.  It looked great but came back a 9.6.  There were no grader notes.  

Since it looks like there is a huge gap in market pricing between a 9.6 vs 9.8, I was wondering if it would be worth it to get it pressed and regraded.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, hermanenwang said:

I recently received back one of my first CGC submitted book Amazing Spiderman 301.  It was a book that I had bought off the comic stand and never read.  It looked great but came back a 9.6.  There were no grader notes.  

Since it looks like there is a huge gap in market pricing between a 9.6 vs 9.8, I was wondering if it would be worth it to get it pressed and regraded.

Thanks!

9.6 is an outstanding grade for a 30+ year old comic. I firmly believe the average grade of a book in a comic shop or on a spinner rack in the 80's is a 9.4 - so you picked an excellent copy and took great care of it. Are you going to sell it?  It still has significant value based on what you paid and slabbing costs.  The only way it makes sense to press and regrade is if it has pressable defects. The only way you will know that is to let someone who knows what they are looking for review it to see.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with that book.

Also, even in the event that the book was a candidate (as judged by an expert) for a press and regrade, there are no guarantees, meaning the book could come back the same, higher, or lower potentially.  And simply put, no one but you knows your financial situation and preferences, or your relative risk aversion, opportunity costs, collection or profit goals, etc.

7 hours ago, hermanenwang said:

Thanks!

If you didn't press it initially, then yes.

5 hours ago, silversufer27 said:

its hard to say but I would go for it if youre sure about it 9.6 is worth like 200 honestly 9.6 is super undervalued 

I disagree. It's not a rare book, nor is it a key, and there are a bunch that are graded 9.8. I dont see this book going up in value much in the coming years.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is basically negligible.

And on some days, interchangeable. 

The OP also has to take into consideration that the book may not improve with a press and there is the possibility, however small it may be, that the book could go down in grade. It's happened before.

My two cents...

There are 194 graded copies of ASM 301 in CGC 9.8 on the census (sig and blue label combined)

There are a whopping 933 copies graded at CGC 9.6

A 9.8 is hard to come by, especially with that white cover. In terms of being a "key", you can debate all you like but the facts are this. Almost every Spidey collector or Todd McFarlane fan will want this book in their collection. And there are a TON of both. Add in the fact you have people willing to pay for 9.8's, and I just think again that people calling this a "fad" or thinking it will come down are silly. Granted, right now CGC 9.8s sell for around $1100-1200 when they come up...that price is likely to hover around that mark. Maybe it dips a couple hundred but the market for such comics is up a LOT that it was even 15-20 years ago. The movies have fueled a new generation of collectors. And with the near infinite amount of possible stories to adapt to TV/movie/video games, I cannot see it crashing anytime soon meaning the interest will sustain for quite some time.

I would share pics of your copy on the "hey buddy can ya spare a grade" forum. I know pics in a slab can be hard but try to get the spine and corners. If there are some ticks that some of our collector eyes can spot, maybe a 9.6 is the book's destiny. If there isn't and maybe it is something on the book that could be pressed out, I would 100% have it pressed and re-slabbed.

And at the end of the day, spending $50 or whatever to potentially get a $1100 book is great. SHOULD have pressed and cleaned the first time but hey....who am I to point fingers when I don't even use CGC.