• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color on back of comic transferring to backing board

24 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, kaejol said:

One last question, I've heard of scoring the flap. What does that mean, and is it important?

Some have had issues with the M4 flap popping the tape and opening. Scoring is, basically, using something to crease the flap at the fold point to help keep it closed. 

Some examples/discussion here: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/299277-e-gerber-mylites4/?do=findComment&comment=6859137

Are these newer Marvel books by chance???  The new marvel stock/inks from the past several years will rub off just by sliding the books in/out of the bag without removing the board as well.  If they are, always remove the board from the bag with the comic on it and replace the same way.  I use mostly regular BCW polybags with backing boards and my comics still look good years later and I live in FL.  I can see if the books were getting too much moisture/temp change in a basement that that ink loss could happen just by lifting it off the board and the inks had started adhering to the board.  Mylar and Fullbacks are great, but very expensive.  I buy some here and there and put nicer comics in them, but doing so for my whole 20,000 book collection would be impossible for me $ wise....I can only wish

On 10/9/2020 at 2:55 PM, kaejol said:

I'm coming up on two years soon and recently I've noticed on some of my comics backing boards there's some color, and on the comic some of the color is gone, I have the glossy side to the comic. I have taken comics out of the bags a boards a couple times to read or re read, is it cause by me taking them out, or is it that I need to change the boards? If it's from me taking it out should I be putting my comics in and taking them out with the board at the same time? I'm still new to this and want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Also thinking of getting fullbacks from egerber because I heard they're good, if this is because I need to change the boards would that solve the problem?

Image from iOS (16).jpg

Image from iOS (17).jpg

For those wondering, this is not a bag or board issue. Current covers will even rub off on each other. My Batman 1 from 2016 has pink on the front that rubbed off from other Batman 1's. And on the back, it looks like the above pic, except it's pink and you can see white coming through. And I recently found out that it can happen in a matter of days too. I bought Avengers 37 and 38 last week and they're both showing signs of rubbing off on the their boards. It's only been a week! And I take the board out with the comic. I'm not sliding it on the board. 

I've decided to use current bags over the comic and then bag that in a silver age bag and board. Hopefully this works. It's an annoying step but my modern comics are losing serious value from rubbing.

Is there any way we can let Marvel and DC know their covers are worthless??? I'm scared to send any of them in for grading. They color break so easily too. I just sent in a bunch of Image comics from the 90's and they're so much sturdier. Even the X-men 4 (90's) was a lot tougher than today's comics.     

Edited by Curtis Clements

On 10/23/2020 at 12:45 PM, joeypost said:

With some of the more modern books you need to double bag. Put the comic in a bag all by itself without the board. The place the bagged comic into another bag with a board or two. This will keep any ink loss to an absolute minimum. The newer inks can rub off very easily and CGC deducts for this. 

This. ^^^

So annoying. I'm finding out the hard way. Several of my 1's will never grade at 9.8 now. 9.6 if I'm lucky.