• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Proof?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

so I came across this terminology on the book which describe Silver Proof as " A black and white actual size print on thick glossy paper hand painted by an artist to indicate colors to the engraver." I'm not a native speaker but does this make sense to you all? II know silver proof is a kind of coin but it looks like it's not describing a coin, and does a silver proof have this "thick glossy paper" thing?

WechatIMG28.png

Here's another definition that may help.  Silver Proof is just a description.  No silver was used in the coloring, as far as I can tell:

"To save money and time, publishers would print "silver proofs," cheap and slightly faded knockoff prints of finalized black-and-white line art printed on paper that would easily absorb watercolors, allowing color artists to mock up basic looks for the covers and interiors of comics to see what palette would work best.

14 hours ago, CreepingTerror said:

I'm not sure what your confusion is, the definition is pretty clear. It's a stat used by the colorist to indicate color choices. That quote is from a comic book reference guide, not a coin guide.

I thought they are coins with comic characters engraved on the surface like this one below. If it has nothing to do with silver coins, then why does it mention "the engraver"? and where can I find a picture of this"silver proof" thing? when I google Silver Proof all I can find are coins.

20_Superman_1_Reverse__08051.1432167448.jpg

13 hours ago, Galen130 said:

Here's another definition that may help.  Silver Proof is just a description.  No silver was used in the coloring, as far as I can tell:

"To save money and time, publishers would print "silver proofs," cheap and slightly faded knockoff prints of finalized black-and-white line art printed on paper that would easily absorb watercolors, allowing color artists to mock up basic looks for the covers and interiors of comics to see what palette would work best.

thank you for the explanation, but is there a picture of this silver proof thing?

1 hour ago, Chris621 said:

thank you for the explanation, but is there a picture of this silver proof thing?

This one is up for auction.  These are very hard to find...

52CC2248-B239-4307-A8FB-03988CB97EFE.jpeg

10 hours ago, HaDokKen said:

That's what CGC calls it. As you posted, Overstreet calls it a Silver Proof.

And it's funny, if you type "comic book silver print" into Google the first thing that comes up is that Action #1 hm

I know, but I kept googling "comic silver proof" and all I could find are commemorative coins