• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM129 cover to hit ComicConnect
3 3

115 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Pretty shocking considering your avatar!

For the record I’m not a Batman fan.  I’m a Marvel Spidey guy first and for most. I’m just obsessed with Action 1 & Tec 27.  Spidey will always be #1 to me.  Followed by FF 

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

For the record I’m not a Batman fan.  I’m a Marvel Spidey guy first and for most. I’m just obsessed with Action 1 & Tec 27.  Spidey will always be #1 to me.  Followed by FF 

Well I don’t see Punisher in your list, so... 

I haven't read posts here for a  while so my comment below may be a duplicate to other previous posts..........

is it just me or does this cover board just seem a little...."oversized" for this time period? 

a large scan of This cover art was shown to me 2 years ago for my opinion and I told the collector after a quick look at the scan, that it was a recreation as it looked so white back then....

(maybe it was just the scan i had been sent?) But I then compared it line for line to the comic as best i could and it matched up pretty well to the comic.

not sure if people know this but the Punisher image is on a separate board and glued down to the cover art.

obviously no way to tell if its stat or not without seeing it in person. if they are valuing it on TMZ as 2 mil, i'd like to think the Punisher and everything else is drawn art. :)

Edited by romitaman

On 10/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, Bronty said:

Don't forget Eminem.   He bought a vg avengers 2 at a con once.

funny you say that.... I've been told from a person I know in the entertainment industry that Eminem is a huge Romita Spidey fan.... (seriously!)

If this is TRUE, i'm just glad he wasn't famous until the 2000s..LOL

25 minutes ago, romitaman said:

I haven't read posts here for a  while so my comment below may be a duplicate to other previous posts..........

is it just me or does this cover board just seem a little...."oversized" for this time period? 

a large scan of This cover art was shown to me 2 years ago for my opinion and I told the collector after a quick look at the scan, that it was a recreation as it looked so white back then....

(maybe it was just the scan i had been sent?) But I then compared it line for line to the comic as best i could and it matched up pretty well to the comic.

not sure if people know this but the Punisher image is on a separate board and glued down to the cover art.

obviously no way to tell if its stat or not without seeing it in person. if they are valuing it on TMZ as 2 mil, i'd like to think the Punisher and everything else is drawn art. :)

Is it me or if I was an art dealer who knew something about it, would I pose it as a question rather than a statement? hm

17 minutes ago, romitaman said:

funny you say that.... I've been told from a person I know in the entertainment industry that Eminem is a huge Romita Spidey fan.... (seriously!)

Ha!   Neat!  Andruman really doesn’t sound so bad! ;)

Edited by Bronty

12 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Ha!   Neat!  Andruman really doesn’t sound so bad! ;)

my first ASM comic off the stands was the  Andru drawn ASM 178..... (i had a beat up copy of ASM 105 as a kid i must have read 50 times from my older brothers...LOL)

i honestly never cared for Ross Andru's Spidey look after getting back issues to compare artists when i got a paper route to buy comics.........I loved Romita's and Ditko's Spidey the most.... most...

Andru's Spidey eyes were always down by his CHEEK BONES and that always bothered me..even as a 12-13 year old.....

i'd always tell myself..."Pete's actual eyes are ABOVE the mask white eyes so how can he possibly SEE out of the mask? LOL

Edited by romitaman

I agree with Mike's comments that it's likely the art was mounted on a new board.  If you look at the position of the Punisher's boot, it's too close to the bottom margin of the board.  Even with the printed comic, there was more space below it.  To compare, you can see how the B&W art was presented in the Marvel Essentials book.  That's the amount of space I'd expect to see with the original.   Also, when I compare it to the Essentials book image, I notice more if the buildings can be seen in the Essentials book vs. the original art.  That seems odd.  

My guess is that the stats are replacement as well - a very good job, but there are some slight differences when you look close. 

For comparison, I've also included a pic of Kane's original prelim for this cover (currently on display at the Marvel: Universe of Super Heroes exhibit in Michigan) - you can see that he had already worked out the final positioning of the Punisher before he penciled the final version, so theoretically this should all be on one board.  It's possible Romita simply inked the Punisher figure on vellum or another piece of paper and that's what's been pasted down on the board on which the final Spidey image was drawn.  Remember, the Punisher figure was used for ads and advertising so it could have made sense to draw it separately.

If the art board was "newly created" then it's possible the restorer added the aging effect to blend the piece and make it look more vintage.  I have seen that done before (unfortunately).

Hopefully, all this will be disclosed when the high-res pics of the piece are released and the description is written up.  Since Kane and Romita's signatures are both on the piece, any work to this likely piece was done prior to 2000 when Kane passed away.  If there were restorer notes, that would be helpful as I know the key restorers from the 1980's/90's used to provide those back in the early days of comic book restoration.  

A great piece... wish it would get added to my Punisher collection, but unfortunately, not if it goes near the talked about price.  

ASM129_Prelim.jpg

ASM129_BW.jpg

Edited by comiconxion

13 hours ago, romitaman said:

I actually know a comic book shop he goes to multiple times a year to pick up older material.

13 hours ago, Varanis said:

It never happened. Not sure why.

I mean really there are only few options: it's a fake/recreation (or authenticity too questioned), consigner pulled it back, consigner sold it privately, Fischler/Zurzolo kept it for themselves.  In all cases, you won't hear anything for a while.