• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This 100 years in Your Magazine Collection
2 2

318 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Another underrated run, those are beautiful copies.  I finished the series a while ago.

Thanks! Yeah, I’ve had the run for a long time myself. And this one! Just regrading rescanning. Just have Monsters Unleashed, Tales of the Zombie, Dracula Lives!, Vampire Tales and my Eerie pubs to go through. 

Unknown Worlds Of Science Fiction # 2 CGC 9.8.JPG

Checking my list for what marvel magazines I've got complete runs on...

Bizarre Adventures, Comix Book, Conan the Savage, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, Destroyer, Doc Savage, Epic Illustrated. Kull and the Barbarians, Marvel Super Special (other than #7), Planet of the Apes, Rampaging Hulk/ Hulk, Savage Tales Series 1 (with a 3/4 cover on #1, need to upgrade), Savage Tales Series 2, Spectacular Spider Man,  Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction, and Vampire Tales.

I also have the one-shots Darkman, Deadliest Heroes of Kung Fu, Marvel Movie Premiere, and Marvel Super Action.  I have Savage Sword of Conan 1-60 and 190-235 (the Roy Thomas runs) complete, with a scattering of other issues in-between.

Does anybody have a definitive list of the Marvel Magazines handy?

17 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Does anybody have a definitive list of the Marvel Magazines handy?

I like to see that too! Almost twenty years ago when I set up my spreadsheet, I logged in the publishers by reading the actual indicia. So a bunch of Marvel mags are listed under Curtis, Magazine Management and Marvel Comics Group. So some may or may not be by Marvel, not really sure. (shrug)

Besides what you have listed, a few others come to mind, including some on the fringe. Take what you like, leave the rest. 

Dracula Lives

Gothic Tales of Love

Haunt of Horror

Howard the Duck

Legion of Monsters (1 shot)

Masters of Terror

Monster Madness

Monsters of the Movies

Monsters to Laugh With

Monsters Unleashed

Monsters Unlimited

Nightmare on Elm Street

Nostalgia Illustrated

Photo News Features

Pussycat (1 shot)

Punisher

Tales of the Zombie

The Tomb of Dracula

I guess that was more than a few.  :kidaround:

Edited by Stevemmg

After revisiting my Monsters Unleashed! run, I thought it would be interesting to pick an issue that best represents the title. Lots of great covers and opinions will vary but I chose a top 3.

Third place: issue #3

Adams sketchy style on Man-Thing brings out some nice dynamic action on this cover. It features a great damsel in distress in the foreground but Manny is still large enough to be the main attraction!

Monsters Unleashed # 3.jpg

23 minutes ago, Jayman said:

After revisiting my Monsters Unleashed! run, I thought it would be interesting to pick an issue that best represents the title. Lots of great covers and opinions will vary but I chose a top 3.

Third place: issue #3

Adams sketchy style on Man-Thing brings out some nice dynamic action on this cover. It features a great damsel in distress in the foreground but Manny is still large enough to be the main attraction!

Monsters Unleashed # 3.jpg

I don't have that issue, I do have this, though:

Savage_Action_04.jpg

1 minute ago, Jayman said:

Awesome! Makes you wonder which perspective was the original?

I'm guessing the Monsters Unleashed, but that's very much just a guess.

Here's another interesting one:  You see a LOT more of the original painting on the Savage Action than you do the original Marvel Preview.  (Sorry for the small GCD scan of the Marvel Preview)

Savage_Action_14.jpg

MP9.jpg

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Here's another interesting one:  You see a LOT more of the original painting on the Savage Action than you do the original Marvel Preview.

Cover illustrations can seem complicated at times. Meaning the artist gets an assignment to illustrate say, Frankenstein. He might then be told to leave certain areas open as headlines and copy blurbs will be added later in production. Most commercial illustrators create enough background for the art director to then crop it as he sees fit to best layout the cover.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:34 AM, Jayman said:

Another one that juuust inched out of my top three was this Larkin Manny cover. Like I said, there’s a bunch of good ones.

Monsters Unleashed # 5.jpg

I like how the Man-Thing is just pushing the alligator aside with one hand as if it were a house cat.  The first time I saw Monsters Unleashed #9 was as an ebay listing about a year ago.  I was blown away and couldn't believe that I hadn't seen it before.