This 100 years in Your Magazine Collection
1 1

98 posts in this topic

3,427 posts

@Morganmi posted Doc Savage #3 over in the this week thread, which led me to digging these out.  The 2 and 6 could use upgrades even by my low standards, but the rest are pretty nice.  I find this run interesting because, as far as I know, these are the first new Doc Savage stories since the pulp was cancelled in 1949... the earlier comics from Gold Key and Marvel were adaptations of pulps; and the paperbacks didn't have new stories until around 1990.  (They did dig up one previously unpublished story in the 70's.)

 

Doc_Savage_1.jpg

Doc_Savage_2.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
313 posts
50 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

@Morganmi posted Doc Savage #3 over in the this week thread, which led me to digging these out.  The 2 and 6 could use upgrades even by my low standards, but the rest are pretty nice.  I find this run interesting because, as far as I know, these are the first new Doc Savage stories since the pulp was cancelled in 1949... the earlier comics from Gold Key and Marvel were adaptations of pulps; and the paperbacks didn't have new stories until around 1990.  (They did dig up one previously unpublished story in the 70's.)

That's some cool info and great covers. To be honest I hadn't a clue about these until I saw that #3 for sale in great shape and price and decided to check it out. Can't wait to very carefully read that one and hopefully get hooked into searching for the others. :tink: :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,544 posts

Congratulations on the Doc Savages. I have been looking for a high grade #4 to complete my run for awhile now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,392 posts
15 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

Congratulations on the Doc Savages. I have been looking for a high grade #4 to complete my run for awhile now. 

You mean you have a HG copy of #8 ?  Unicorn poop is more plentiful,  any chance of a gander at it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,544 posts

These don’t get the love they deserve. I like them, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,544 posts
7 hours ago, batmiesta said:

You mean you have a HG copy of #8 ?  Unicorn poop is more plentiful,  any chance of a gander at it? 


According to my list, I have a 9.2. I’ll see if I can dig it out and scan it tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,182 posts

Those KULL have awesome covers👍👍❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,427 posts
5 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Those KULL have awesome covers👍👍❤️

They're early work by Michael Whelan; who only ever did a few comic covers.  He's better known for his book covers, he's won 15 Hugo Awards.  He did a couple other covers for Marvel... an issue of Savage Tales, and an Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction cover.  I'll try to dig those out to share as well before too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,427 posts

I've always thought the cover to 5 looked like it was from another publisher... but it actually belongs very directly to a story in the book.

Unknown Worlds 4.jpg

Unknown Worlds 5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,182 posts

Nice Coc Savage mags above👍👍😷😷‼️‼️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1