• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing spider man

8 posts in this topic

If I were you, i'd do research on other comics with graded CGC 9.8 (and maybe other grades to get more data) with double covers, and compare those 'sold' prices against the regular versions (in the same grade).  Give more weight in your modeling to keys comics and comics in a similar era.  

There is something called GPA analysis (a paid service) which tracks SOME sales for CGC comics made publicly, which should give you a ballpark in terms of pricing once you've compiled all the data and done some price analysis.  You can check the CGC Census for rarity (in terms of graded comics) to get sales prices.  Of course for a comic in that price range you have to take into account selling/buying fees and the sales venue, and possibly shipping and taxes.

good luck

39 minutes ago, nate korshak said:

Revat, the only other one that I have seen that is a 9.8 copy was back in 2005 and the seller did not sell it on heritage auctions. The rarity of this book makes me raise an eyebrow on what I should do and how I should go about selling it.

35 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Price it skyhigh. You can always lower the price. I'd start at $4,000 and hope somebody bites. If not, lower it 5% a week until someone buys it.

It's unique, or semi-unique at worst. 

shadrochs suggestion seems eminently reasonable.

The thing is, you're asking for advice on a very specific and niche item, which while it would fetch a high price (probably), there are many factors involved, which nobody but you knows about.  And no, I'm not asking you to tell us these whether these apply to you or not, though you are certainly welcome to.

For example, if you have an established ebay store that sells plenty of collectibles, then you might get a pretty good price on ebay.  If you do not have an ebay store and create one for the sole purpose of selling this comic, you might not fetch the full price or you might get scammed (or accused of scamming someone). 

Or if you don't live in the US that could be factor, or sales taxes in your state could be a factor.  Or maybe you value quick turnover of cash to maximizing profit, who knows?

And for something as rare as this, LUCK would be a huge factor.  Getting the right buyer(s) at the right time to see your book could be the difference of literally hundreds or thousands of dollars.  

Speaking of getting scammed, ONLY YOU know your risk preferences with relation selling comics or high-end valuables (to some people, selling $2,000-$4,000 items might be the same as selling $5 items for someone else).  To that end, SOME PEOPLE (maybe you, maybe not you) prefer to sell through established auction houses or consignment venues, of course they take a cut but handle most of the risk.  You should consider researching those and/or contacting those people and seeing if you like their terms in terms of fees or payment or turnover or whatever.  

But everyone has their own preferences, and ideas for how much time they want to spend doing the research to make the best decision.  The more experience you have and the more time you put in to venue and pricing and timing, the better decision you are likely (still not guaranteed) to make.  Of course you won't know how much time it will take to ultimately make the best decision either, so there's that.

Also I've already previously given you advice on price modeling in a previous post.  Gather as much sales data on double cover CGC 9.8's as possible and compare them to regular CGC 9.8's so you can get an estimate for the percentage increase if any over a 'normal', which you do have data for.  You can (if you so choose) assign a bit of extra weight to books in a similar time period, similar title, and that are keys, or are similar in normal CGC 9.8 value, as well as more recent sales.  If you can't get enough 9.8 data, try looking for 9.6 data.  Collect all the data until you yourself are satisfied with your sample size (or if there is a probabilistic or mathematical sample size you're shooting for that's fine too) and perform an expected value analysis.

10 hours ago, revat said:

shadrochs suggestion seems eminently reasonable.

The thing is, you're asking for advice on a very specific and niche item, which while it would fetch a high price (probably), there are many factors involved, which nobody but you knows about.  And no, I'm not asking you to tell us these whether these apply to you or not, though you are certainly welcome to.

For example, if you have an established ebay store that sells plenty of collectibles, then you might get a pretty good price on ebay.  If you do not have an ebay store and create one for the sole purpose of selling this comic, you might not fetch the full price or you might get scammed (or accused of scamming someone). 

Or if you don't live in the US that could be factor, or sales taxes in your state could be a factor.  Or maybe you value quick turnover of cash to maximizing profit, who knows?

And for something as rare as this, LUCK would be a huge factor.  Getting the right buyer(s) at the right time to see your book could be the difference of literally hundreds or thousands of dollars.  

Speaking of getting scammed, ONLY YOU know your risk preferences with relation selling comics or high-end valuables (to some people, selling $2,000-$4,000 items might be the same as selling $5 items for someone else).  To that end, SOME PEOPLE (maybe you, maybe not you) prefer to sell through established auction houses or consignment venues, of course they take a cut but handle most of the risk.  You should consider researching those and/or contacting those people and seeing if you like their terms in terms of fees or payment or turnover or whatever.  

But everyone has their own preferences, and ideas for how much time they want to spend doing the research to make the best decision.  The more experience you have and the more time you put in to venue and pricing and timing, the better decision you are likely (still not guaranteed) to make.  Of course you won't know how much time it will take to ultimately make the best decision either, so there's that.

Also I've already previously given you advice on price modeling in a previous post.  Gather as much sales data on double cover CGC 9.8's as possible and compare them to regular CGC 9.8's so you can get an estimate for the percentage increase if any over a 'normal', which you do have data for.  You can (if you so choose) assign a bit of extra weight to books in a similar time period, similar title, and that are keys, or are similar in normal CGC 9.8 value, as well as more recent sales.  If you can't get enough 9.8 data, try looking for 9.6 data.  Collect all the data until you yourself are satisfied with your sample size (or if there is a probabilistic or mathematical sample size you're shooting for that's fine too) and perform an expected value analysis.

This is great advice. 

If you want to move it quick I would work with an auction house. If you can sit on it for it awhile do what @shadroch suggested. 

Its a tricky one to price but as Ravet said there are comps out there. You can find the value bump given to other double covers and get a ballpark for how to price this over a typical 9.8

Good luck

Def rare and should def find a buyer.

Others have suggested best way to sell. As for price, I am also of the price it high and wait (if you can). Otherwise I should think someone would def buy it at $2000-2500 without much waiting. At the end of the day, how much do you feel you want to make?

For example, I have bought books in lots that technically, I paid $4-5 for. They could sell for $300-400 but I price them at the lower point for a quick sale. Maybe I miss out on $40-60 here or there which for someone trying to make money, isn't great. But for me as a collector, it is all profit and allows me to keep buying and selling and adding to my personal collection without ever really dipping into my "real" money.