• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centering vs. Grade
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I am trying to choose between two CGC graded comics of the same issue. The first is a 9.6 the second a 9.4. The 9.4 has great centering! However the 9.6 is off centered, with white spilling over from the spine wrap around to the front cover. I know centering is important to the aesthetics of the slabbed comic, but how much consideration should one give to good centering over slightly higher grade?

First off, knowing which issue under consideration will provide best advice.

Most here on the boards will say go for the best presenting book. In this case, it’s the 9.4.

I say it depends on your reason for purchasing.

For pure speculation/investment purposes, the higher grades tend to yield greater returns overall.  

From what I’ve seen, well centered books can see a bump in value in grade, but rarely exceeding an off-centered higher grade. 

Edited by Joosh

7 hours ago, Joosh said:

First off, knowing which issue under consideration will provide best advice.

Most here on the boards will say go for the best presenting book. In this case, it’s the 9.4.

I say it depends on your reason for purchasing.

For pure speculation/investment purposes, the higher grades tend to yield greater returns overall.  

From what I’ve seen, well centered books can see a bump in value in grade, but rarely exceeding an off-centered higher grade. 

Bingo! 

Every collector is unique and it really depends on your preference.  

The higher grade will likely be the more valuable comic, but if you enjoy the look of a well centered book, go for it.