• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade, and possible price?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Double cover, Mark Jewelers, Newsstand? You hit the trifecta! What trend/niche are we missing? DCU logo in the UPC box. Rare Whitman variant. These are getting to be borderline tropes (well, tropes that make money). 

2 minutes ago, Conacon said:

Double cover, Mark Jewelers, Newsstand? You hit the trifecta! What trend/niche are we missing? DCU logo in the UPC box. Rare Whitman variant. These are getting to be borderline tropes (well, tropes that make money). 

What trend gets me the most money?

Neat book you have. Problem is, it is a book no one cares about. If it did not have the insert or double cover, it is a fifty cent to a dollar book. Maybe $2 to the guy who needed a newsstand copy.

But you have a double cover. Okay, now you need the guy who needs that double cover. Honestly, if it sold for $20-30 with the double cover, I feel that would be best case scenario.

BUT you also have an insert. Again, cool and more easy to find insert collectors than double cover ones. But the insert is hit and miss and really only helps sell a "common" book. If the insert is on a key issue, you could get a lot more. But for a common book, meh. A bunch of 70s Marvel Team Up issues recently sold with the insert and only for a measily $10. 

Overall, value wise, what you have here is maybe a $40 comic. MAYBE $50. If someone offers to pay you anything more than that, you take their money faster than a speeding bullet.

As for grade, eh tough to say without more pics. Graded and high grade, maybe it fetches more...I say maybe because you have narrowed into such a niche and on a nothing book that if you spent $40 or whatever to grade and tried to price such a book (even if it came back at like 9.4-9.6) at $100+, the list of people running up to pay that is gonna be a looooong wait. 

I definitely feel there is a group of sellers who have manufactured a belief that an MJ insert automatically equates to big bucks. If you look at books selling on ebay, the insert only serves as a way to sell a book. Meaning, you are more likely to sell a $5 if it has the insert and if you only charge a couple bucks more for that insert. Again, this applies to books that are not key or whatever term you use. 

Are they rarer? Yes. Are the oober valuable every time? Nope. They were printed for yeaaaarrrs. Across many titles and books. 

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Neat book you have. Problem is, it is a book no one cares about. If it did not have the insert or double cover, it is a fifty cent to a dollar book. Maybe $2 to the guy who needed a newsstand copy.

But you have a double cover. Okay, now you need the guy who needs that double cover. Honestly, if it sold for $20-30 with the double cover, I feel that would be best case scenario.

BUT you also have an insert. Again, cool and more easy to find insert collectors than double cover ones. But the insert is hit and miss and really only helps sell a "common" book. If the insert is on a key issue, you could get a lot more. But for a common book, meh. A bunch of 70s Marvel Team Up issues recently sold with the insert and only for a measily $10. 

Overall, value wise, what you have here is maybe a $40 comic. MAYBE $50. If someone offers to pay you anything more than that, you take their money faster than a speeding bullet.

As for grade, eh tough to say without more pics. Graded and high grade, maybe it fetches more...I say maybe because you have narrowed into such a niche and on a nothing book that if you spent $40 or whatever to grade and tried to price such a book (even if it came back at like 9.4-9.6) at $100+, the list of people running up to pay that is gonna be a looooong wait. 

This says it all.

1 hour ago, evilskip said:

This says it all.

Oh, I hear (read) every single word, and I understand! Thank you, and thank you comicginger. I am actually like a little kid. My first double cover. Something to keep, and I know it would be foolish to grade.

8 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

Oh, I hear (read) every single word, and I understand! Thank you, and thank you comicginger. I am actually like a little kid. My first double cover. Something to keep, and I know it would be foolish to grade.

The double cover is cool no matter what it's worth. Keep it and enjoy it! 

Congrats on the cool pick up.