• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's been your experience like with turnaround times for grading?
1 1

188 posts in this topic

CGC received my cards on December 7th 2020 the website at that time stated the turn around time was 30 business days for a bulk submission ( i sent exactly 50 cards).  it was business day 25 ( not counting holidays ) around January 7th or so, and they moved the time to 60 SIXTY business days, i was upset as my order was to be finished in 5 days from their timeline.  I called in immediately and asked if my cards would fall under the 30 day time as it stated when they received them, or the new 60 day? I was reassured i was part of the 30 day still. I then stated that 5 days to complete my order of 50 cards seemed unlikely as they had still been in the receiving status.  they again said " it doesn't take as long as you think once we start" and NOT to my surprise day 30 came and went, and progress didn't change.  i called back after business day 45 and someone told me that " if the new time reflects a longer time than previously noted the new time will be "MY" new timeline. I was obviously unhappy to hear this as they were 15 business days late as it was. but nonetheless what's another 15 business days. FAST FOWARD TO TODAY FEB 24 2021!!! cards are STILL in received status, its been 57 business days, and guess what? my cards will not only NOT be done in 3 business days to make the 60 day business day mark, but they've now changed it to 70 SEVENTY business days.  at this rate from what I've seen and been told as long as they keep pushing the date back i won't be receiving my submission any time soon.  they say Hind site is 20/20 and if i could go back in time i would have never sent them in the first place knowing id had to wait several more months on top of the original 30 business day period, i would have sold the cards ungraded for 1/5 of the prices and cut my "losses" at that, but i wouldn't have paid $416 for the grading and wasted 3 months waiting for them while there still a month out.  overall a quite terrible experience, if they would have stated 70 days in the beginning i would have been able to choose to wait 3.5 months or just not grade them at all.  but given false hope they'll be done in ANY sort of timeframe apparently is just unrealistic as the date keeps moving further away.  yes yes yes i understand business is busier and other card grading companies charges 2-3 times as much with just as long of wait times, but that's why paying less per card at a 30 day turn around time was obviously superior. CGC was the superior grading service up until all the prices went up, grading times went through the roof, and they only keep pushing back their dates. if i only knew then what i know now. all i can do is sadly wait and be at the mercy of whatever time table they post.  I'll write again when day 70 comes around (March 19th 2021) and let you know that i still won't have my cards and what the updated time frame looks like another 2.5 weeks from now.  good luck to everyone who submits.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:15 AM, Bryan19 said:

Did you call to check in? That's a bit disheartening. I know these turnaround times aren't guaranteed but still...

i submitted bulk dec 7th at that time is was 30 day turnaround its now at 70 days still stuck in "received" status after 57 business days, don't get your hopes up that you'll have them anytime soon

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Sam Howard said:

CGC received my cards on December 7th 2020 the website at that time stated the turn around time was 30 business days for a bulk submission ( i sent exactly 50 cards).  it was business day 25 ( not counting holidays ) around January 7th or so, and they moved the time to 60 SIXTY business days, i was upset as my order was to be finished in 5 days from their timeline.  I called in immediately and asked if my cards would fall under the 30 day time as it stated when they received them, or the new 60 day? I was reassured i was part of the 30 day still. I then stated that 5 days to complete my order of 50 cards seemed unlikely as they had still been in the receiving status.  they again said " it doesn't take as long as you think once we start" and NOT to my surprise day 30 came and went, and progress didn't change.  i called back after business day 45 and someone told me that " if the new time reflects a longer time than previously noted the new time will be "MY" new timeline. I was obviously unhappy to hear this as they were 15 business days late as it was. but nonetheless what's another 15 business days. FAST FOWARD TO TODAY FEB 24 2021!!! cards are STILL in received status, its been 57 business days, and guess what? my cards will not only NOT be done in 3 business days to make the 60 day business day mark, but they've now changed it to 70 SEVENTY business days.  at this rate from what I've seen and been told as long as they keep pushing the date back i won't be receiving my submission any time soon.  they say Hind site is 20/20 and if i could go back in time i would have never sent them in the first place knowing id had to wait several more months on top of the original 30 business day period, i would have sold the cards ungraded for 1/5 of the prices and cut my "losses" at that, but i wouldn't have paid $416 for the grading and wasted 3 months waiting for them while there still a month out.  overall a quite terrible experience, if they would have stated 70 days in the beginning i would have been able to choose to wait 3.5 months or just not grade them at all.  but given false hope they'll be done in ANY sort of timeframe apparently is just unrealistic as the date keeps moving further away.  yes yes yes i understand business is busier and other card grading companies charges 2-3 times as much with just as long of wait times, but that's why paying less per card at a 30 day turn around time was obviously superior. CGC was the superior grading service up until all the prices went up, grading times went through the roof, and they only keep pushing back their dates. if i only knew then what i know now. all i can do is sadly wait and be at the mercy of whatever time table they post.  I'll write again when day 70 comes around (March 19th 2021) and let you know that i still won't have my cards and what the updated time frame looks like another 2.5 weeks from now.  good luck to everyone who submits.

Hello @Sam Howard,

I am sorry to hear of your frustration with this process. I have looked into your submission and have been told that this should be moving along very soon. I apologize for the delay and/or miscommunication on our end. 

On 2/25/2021 at 9:59 AM, Matt G said:

Hello @Sam Howard,

I am sorry to hear of your frustration with this process. I have looked into your submission and have been told that this should be moving along very soon. I apologize for the delay and/or miscommunication on our end. 

Any chance you could look at mine as well? My story is literally the same as Sam's. Received on 12/7, called about the time frame change, disheartened to see the next delay....I completely understand the reasoning and have since when subbed another order, but still SOME insight into the process would be awesome. 

Thank you!

On 2/18/2021 at 8:10 AM, Aqua Monkey said:

Still waiting on my economy. All I got back so far was the standard. Wait times are longer than I expected them to be. 

20210218_110748.jpg

Thanks for the screenshot. Looks like standard was around 6 weeks for you? I have one standard order and 2 express orders so I’ll be interested in seeing how those turnarounds go.

Looks like they're getting even more backed up. The TAT for bulk and economy just updated.
Bulk: 77 days
Economy: 61 days

Paul did mention in another post that the team is currently working on early December orders for anyone curious.

Edited by dagwood jr.

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Abeyea said:

Any chance you could look at mine as well? My story is literally the same as Sam's. Received on 12/7, called about the time frame change, disheartened to see the next delay....I completely understand the reasoning and have since when subbed another order, but still SOME insight into the process would be awesome. 

Thank you!

Hello @Abeyea,

The turnaround times are based on the date that the submission is received. If yours was received the same day as our fellow poster, then it should begin progressing through the system very soon as well. Thank you for your patience.

50 minutes ago, Matt G said:

Hello @Abeyea,

The turnaround times are based on the date that the submission is received. If yours was received the same day as our fellow poster, then it should begin progressing through the system very soon as well. Thank you for your patience.

Would i still be affected with new tat, my original tat was 35 for bulk

I'm in the same boat, and it is incredibly frustrating. Sent in 58 cards in early December and another 50 a week later, 'Received' December 11 for the first bunch and December 18 for the second bunch.  Listed turnaround time was only 30 days.  After almost 20 business days, turnaround time was changed to 60, so incredible disappointment expecting cards back in late January and having it moved to early March. Now having the TAT moved even further out, originally expecting cards back in January after they were supposedly 2/3 through their wait time and going from January to possibly May?  I mean, its March already.  January seems so long ago.  I'm not completely surprised though.  I sent in a lot of 22 comics to CGC in mid-August, they received them August 28th for pressing and grading, its been over half a year and I still don't have those books back to me.

Things are about to get a lot worse. PSA doubled prices, and the general consensus from what I've seen is CGC is the best alternative. 

I really, really hope CGC can flex their operation to absorb some of this new demand in stride. Time will tell. 

I'm honestly really disappointed. My economy sub was received on 12/9 with a tat of 30 business days. Tomorrow would have been 57 business days which was the current tat for economy. but once again it's been changed to 61 days. Well at least my express order is scheduled for grading that was received on 2/15. If I would have known it was going to take this long for an economy sub I would have just paid for standard or express.

54 minutes ago, PokemanDude90 said:

Things are about to get a lot worse. PSA doubled prices, and the general consensus from what I've seen is CGC is the best alternative. 

I really, really hope CGC can flex their operation to absorb some of this new demand in stride. Time will tell. 

I think in hindsight, CGC probably should have gone a little higher on prices (wouldn't be surprised to see this). Part of PSA's reasoning is to tamp down on the bulk. At least the sports card bulk will hit a different office than the TCG. 

I got a standard order done in around 20 business days today. The standard orders seem to be going pretty well. I like that I can grade expensive cards pretty quickly and CGC seems to be super reliable in that regard.

As for bulk, yeah its taking forever but the way I look at bulk is that its mostly cheap jank that isnt super valuable. I use bulk to send in more newer cards that I pull from packs or cheap cards that I buy. It just is what it is with bulk. When people can send in 100+ cards at once, it probably takes forever to work on. I dont think Ill use bulk too much in the future but im ok with that since I dont need to be grading a bunch of cheap vmax secrets since they dont make too much money.

The problem isn't that there changing estimation times. The problem is that people are sending in cards expecting them to be around those estimations and by the time they actually get the cards it is double or triple the estimation date. When people send things in they are trying to sell or cherish the cards they send in. The longer the wait the difference in price the products could be. You could win big or lose big. An example if you sent in a Darkness Ablaze Zard and you were expecting a 30 day and it was 77 days you would be furious at the price difference... That is just an example of what I am facing because of the price difference of the RR Zard with the release of the Shiny Zard. I was expecting it to be around the 30 day mark so that I could sell it before Shining Fates came out so I could buy the new Zard. But now it has crashed in price because of the wait. Just one example of mine.

Edited by ShiningCollectibles

On 2/25/2021 at 9:59 AM, Matt G said:

Hello @Sam Howard,

Well its funny this is for a bulk submission, meanwhile my Economy submission I submitted 5 days later and paid double the price for is still sitting as received.... Is posting in here all we need to do to get our cards graded? 

Really bad. Economy received on 22DEC2020. Still received. From 30s>40s>50s>60s days. 

Email CGC and their reply was "subject to changes and estimates". Guess have to pay for higher tier next time or back to PSA.