• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q for you eBay sellers.
2 2

14 posts in this topic

So I recently got my Top Rated status.  I see that it wants me to offer free returns to get the top rated plus badge.  I normally put "no returns," but I noticed that that doesn't seem to stop anything.  ie, I have only had two returns--one the guy changed his mind, contacted me, and I gave him a refund anyway (even though it seems like I didn't have to), and the other one arrived damaged, and he put in a claim with eBay before even contacting me, and it's not that I would have refused, obviously, but I am pretty sure I didn't have a choice anyway.

So is there really an issue just saying outright that I accept returns?  (I don't care about paying the shipping--I'm more concerned with the book itself.)  And regardless, nefarious people are just going to claim damage/not matching description and then it doesn't matter anyway, it seems.  Does changing it from "no returns" to "accepts returns" mean that I automatically accept returns when they just change their mind, whereas otherwise I'd have a choice?  Or if it's just buyer's remorse, can I still refuse even if I offer free returns?

Thanks.

Edited by Poekaymon

I can give you only a quick answer, bed time.  If you do Free Returns, your returns may happen automatically, without your involvement.  To prevent this, go to your Return Preferences page https://www.ebay.com/rtn/Return/SellerRules?returnId=0&rmvHdr=false&action=showSellerRulesList and turn ON your RMA number requirement.  That way the buyer (and eBay) have to contact you first for an RMA.  That slows the process down.  You have time to communicate with the buyer, see what's up.  But they may have just changed their mind, which is a valid return reason when you are on Free Returns.  So you make up a number to use as an RMA, post it to the Return Request, and follow the steps.

I do Free Returns.  It is a requirement to get the 10% reduction in fees.  I rarely get returns, and some people get lots of returns.  Depends what you sell, I suspect, and your "clientele". 

There are several factors to weigh.  Calculate how much you will save via the 10% lower fees.  If your return costs (mostly shipping, as sales fees are refunded, and aggravation) exceed your savings, that's a problem.  But you also mentioned the other side of the coin, in that maybe those returns will be forced on you anyway.  I figure I'll offer Free Returns until something pushes me off that stance.  So far it has been fine.  You might try that route.

8 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

I can give you only a quick answer, bed time.  If you do Free Returns, your returns may happen automatically, without your involvement.  To prevent this, go to your Return Preferences page https://www.ebay.com/rtn/Return/SellerRules?returnId=0&rmvHdr=false&action=showSellerRulesList and turn ON your RMA number requirement.  That way the buyer (and eBay) have to contact you first for an RMA.  That slows the process down.  You have time to communicate with the buyer, see what's up.  But they may have just changed their mind, which is a valid return reason when you are on Free Returns.  So you make up a number to use as an RMA, post it to the Return Request, and follow the steps.

I do Free Returns.  It is a requirement to get the 10% reduction in fees.  I rarely get returns, and some people get lots of returns.  Depends what you sell, I suspect, and your "clientele". 

There are several factors to weigh.  Calculate how much you will save via the 10% lower fees.  If your return costs (mostly shipping, as sales fees are refunded, and aggravation) exceed your savings, that's a problem.  But you also mentioned the other side of the coin, in that maybe those returns will be forced on you anyway.  I figure I'll offer Free Returns until something pushes me off that stance.  So far it has been fine.  You might try that route.

Thanks, that's what I figured.

I don't mind on, say, books around $1000.  But I am hesitating to offer free returns on higher-priced (say, $5k+) books because I don't really like the idea of it being shipped additional times and the extra cost of insurance, etc. 

Do you, or would you, do Free Returns on stuff over $5k?

As @Lightning55 said it depends on what you are selling.  Because I also sell jewelry I found that listings with 'no returns' actually stopped people from returning things.  Previously I had too many instances of buyers purchasing it to wear once or twice and then returning it once they were done.  It forced people to make up their mind as to whether or not they really wanted it.   If I was dealing with nothing but action figures then I would offer returns since people that buy a Star Wars or GI Joe figure are less likely to return something.

But as far as their being nothing such as 'no returns' on eBay.   That is simply not true.  Get someone on the phone and if you can make a case as to why the buyer is in violation of the return process and their user agreement, (If they are), eBay will still side with you.  

Edited by Buzzetta

27 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

As @Lightning55 said it depends on what you are selling.  Because I also sell jewelry I found that listings with 'no returns' actually stopped people from returning things.  Previously I had too many instances of buyers purchasing it to wear once or twice and then returning it once they were done.  It forced people to make up their mind as to whether or not they really wanted it.   If I was dealing with nothing but action figures then I would offer returns since people that buy a Star Wars or GI Joe figure are less likely to return something.

But as far as their being nothing such as 'no returns' on eBay.   That is simply not true.  Get someone on the phone and if you can make a case as to why the buyer is in violation of the return process and their user agreement, (If they are), eBay will still side with you.  

That makes sense.  I'm talking strictly about graded comics.  Would you do free returns on say a 9.0 Hulk 181?  Unlike clothes or jewelry, and since I provide accurate, clear scans, I feel like there are really only three circumstances in which someone would still want to return a graded book:

1) It legitimately got damaged in shipping.  This is highly unlikely based on how well I pack expensive books.  The only thing I've had damaged in shipping was a $50 graded book which I put in a Gemini mailer and it got crunched on the side.  I knew the risk I was taking.  But anything more expensive, I am pretty careful, and have never had any damage.   

But on the off chance this does happen, free returns seems fine because I'd be taking it back either way.

2) They are planning to swap the book or otherwise cheat me and will claim it didn't arrived as pictured or was damaged.  (Likely damaging it themselves on purpose.)  I note that while I am always afraid of this, it hasn't happened yet.

In this case, free returns also seems fine because I'm pretty sure eBay is going to force a refund regardless.  I really don't think selecting "no returns" is saving you if someone is just determined to scam.

3) Buyer's remorse.  They disagree with the grade (despite the clear, high resolution scans); they just decided they paid too much after a few days of reflection; their wife got mad; they found a cheaper one after you shipped it; etc.

I have had this happen once on a $100 book and I just took it back.  But I'd prefer not on a $5k book.  So let's say they are honest about their reasons, maybe with "no returns" as opposed to "Free Returns," you could refuse the return.  But in that case, they'd know up front they couldn't just claim to have changed their mind, and would, if they were desperate enough, just go back to Option #2, and you'd end up having to refund anyway.

So I guess the question is, how many people would buy a 9.0 181 and then change their mind, and be honest about it when asking for a return.  Probably not enough to support not using free returns?  Agree?

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

That makes sense.  I'm talking strictly about graded comics.  Would you do free returns on say a 9.0 Hulk 181?  Unlike clothes or jewelry, and since I provide accurate, clear scans, I feel like there are really only three circumstances in which someone would still want to return a graded book:

1) It legitimately got damaged in shipping.  This is highly unlikely based on how well I pack expensive books.  The only thing I've had damaged in shipping was a $50 graded book which I put in a Gemini mailer and it got crunched on the side.  I knew the risk I was taking.  But anything more expensive, I am pretty careful, and have never had any damage.   

But on the off chance this does happen, free returns seems fine because I'd be taking it back either way.

2) They are planning to swap the book or otherwise cheat me and will claim it didn't arrived as pictured or was damaged.  (Likely damaging it themselves on purpose.)  I note that while I am always afraid of this, it hasn't happened yet.

In this case, free returns also seems fine because I'm pretty sure eBay is going to force a refund regardless.  I really don't think selecting "no returns" is saving you if someone is just determined to scam.

3) Buyer's remorse.  They disagree with the grade (despite the clear, high resolution scans); they just decided they paid too much after a few days of reflection; their wife got mad; they found a cheaper one after you shipped it; etc.

I have had this happen once on a $100 book and I just took it back.  But I'd prefer not on a $5k book.  So let's say they are honest about their reasons, maybe with "no returns" as opposed to "Free Returns," you could refuse the return.  But in that case, they'd know up front they couldn't just claim to have changed their mind, and would, if they were desperate enough, just go back to Option #2, and you'd end up having to refund anyway.

So I guess the question is, how many people would buy a 9.0 181 and then change their mind, and be honest about it when asking for a return.  Probably not enough to support not using free returns?  Agree?

They may not change their mind... they may try to scam you.  Something like that I would list on Comiclink and Comicconnect at the same time.  They are going to act as a 3rd party for that fee.  That way, they inspect it.  They ship it to the buyer that you do not know.  If the buyer wants to return it, they list it in their auction.  They do not come to you asking for the money back.  If the buyer sends back an empty slab as we recently witnessed on the boards on a $500 book, that is for them to deal with and not you. 

9 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Thanks, that's what I figured.

I don't mind on, say, books around $1000.  But I am hesitating to offer free returns on higher-priced (say, $5k+) books because I don't really like the idea of it being shipped additional times and the extra cost of insurance, etc. 

Do you, or would you, do Free Returns on stuff over $5k?

You're in a whole different league from me, if you are selling at that price point.  My average sale is $100, and probably the very rare sale over $1k.  Unless you have very broad shoulders, I think the advice provided by @Buzzetta is good, letting a large company absorb returns at that high sales level, if that's how it works, no potential reach-back to you.

The other thing about Free Returns is the word "Free".  If someone makes a return, you are paying the freight both ways, only to have to start over with the sale, the item hopefully still as originally sent when it returns for resale. 

I believe eBay allows for partial refunds, withholding a reasonable amount, if the product returned is devalued in some way, such as sold sealed, now open.  Witrh No Returns, if a return is forced or accepted, you may not have to pay the return shipping if it's a case of buyer remorse.  Sometimes the shipping is a high amount, so that can be significant.

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

You're in a whole different league from me, if you are selling at that price point.  My average sale is $100, and probably the very rare sale over $1k.  Unless you have very broad shoulders, I think the advice provided by @Buzzetta is good, letting a large company absorb returns at that high sales level, if that's how it works, no potential reach-back to you.

The other thing about Free Returns is the word "Free".  If someone makes a return, you are paying the freight both ways, only to have to start over with the sale, the item hopefully still as originally sent when it returns for resale. 

I believe eBay allows for partial refunds, withholding a reasonable amount, if the product returned is devalued in some way, such as sold sealed, now open.  Witrh No Returns, if a return is forced or accepted, you may not have to pay the return shipping if it's a case of buyer remorse.  Sometimes the shipping is a high amount, so that can be significant.

Yeah, my last three jewelry sales were for for $185, $175, $300.  

Since I have established that I will not allow returns on jewelry, I get more questions regarding the measurements of slight nuances of each piece that most would never think to put in a listing.   In many of those questions they buyer even says, "I noticed that you don't take returns, so I had a few questions."

It is a few more steps but it puts the brakes on a culture that seemingly thinks, "I will give it a try and if I don't like it, I will return it."  I would prefer a few more of those steps to make sure that the sale goes through. 

One of the more egregious (fancy word for ballsy) things I have seen is when I accepted a return and could tell that it was not the same piece I sent.  She said the stone broke in transit.  Hey it can happen.  However I noticed that the striations in the image of the piece I sent did not match up with the striations in the stones that were unbroken. 

Last summer I accepted a return as the piece supposedly broke in transit.  They sent me pictures.  Once I had the piece in hand I realized that it was not the same piece as the striations in the gemstones were different and I take very detailed pictures.  Once I had it in hand I could show eBay what did not match up in the pics that they sent me of the damaged piece.   That was reversed in my favor and that was in the 'customer is always right eBay era.' 

Hey, if it is a legit return I eat that.  That's on me as a seller.  However, if you try to screw around like that person did, I can be a very petty individual.   

I'm a very low-volume seller, so I have it set to "No Returns" only because in my mind it makes me think it'll deter fraudulent buyers.

I know that it doesn't matter, though. On eBay, the buyer is King. As an honorable buyer, I couldn't care less if it says "Free Returns" or "No Returns". I'm getting a return if my order isn't fulfilled accurately.

22 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

I got 2 auctions ending soon for my lowball bids.  Are they required to honor them?

Technically they are required to honor the sale but they only receive a bad feedback if they decide to not ship the book (s).  There is really nothing e-bay can (or will) do to force a seller to honor a sale but they also don't really care if a buyer honors their purchase.  Hopefully they will honor the sale but if not give them back feedback and move on.

@Poekaymon - A good page to have bookmarked is this: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

It is kind of buried in the eBay selling preferences.  Here you can set your buyer requirements as to who you will allow to purchase your items and who cannot.  While it cannot sort out problem children it will disallow habitual non-paying buyers from completing sales with you.   I do not require immediate payment so people can more easily request invoices and in some cases people ask if they can buy it now but pay at the end of week.  I usually allow that as some people need to wait until pay day. 

Yes, I do allow blocked buyers to contact me.  There has been one occasion where I listened to their story turned the feature off so they could buy it.  Sometimes its fun telling someone who is blocked that they really should honor their debts with others because three strikes in one month is a lot.

And yes, for anyone that has ever heard that story, all it took were a couple of shady buyers from Greece to try and mess around and I put the entire nation on a my do not sell to list. 

And while I have not blocked anyone from buying in the last 60 days, I can tell you that I have checked to find out that every now and then, someone is denied purchasing from me because they do not meet the requirements.

So, if more people used these features, I do believe it would cut down on the nonsense on eBay

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.26.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.27.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.29.46 PM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

34 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

@Poekaymon - A good page to have bookmarked is this: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

It is kind of buried in the eBay selling preferences.  Here you can set your buyer requirements as to who you will allow to purchase your items and who cannot.  While it cannot sort out problem children it will disallow habitual non-paying buyers from completing sales with you.   I do not require immediate payment so people can more easily request invoices and in some cases people ask if they can buy it now but pay at the end of week.  I usually allow that as some people need to wait until pay day. 

Yes, I do allow blocked buyers to contact me.  There has been one occasion where I listened to their story turned the feature off so they could buy it.  Sometimes its fun telling someone who is blocked that they really should honor their debts with others because three strikes in one month is a lot.

And yes, for anyone that has ever heard that story, all it took were a couple of shady buyers from Greece to try and mess around and I put the entire nation on a my do not sell to list. 

And while I have not blocked anyone from buying in the last 60 days, I can tell you that I have checked to find out that every now and then, someone is denied purchasing from me because they do not meet the requirements.

So, if more people used these features, I do believe it would cut down on the nonsense on eBay

I set that up a while back.  Mine are way more draconian than yours--2 strikes in 12 months for me.