• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Before we were all spoiled with the Internet...
1 1

3 posts in this topic

The thread about recap pages included a comment by Malvin about the old days when a buyer/seller would often have to double-check to be sure they were both talking about the same page (since page number isn't something that was always standardized).  

As someone who has only collected comic/illustration art in the post-Internet age, I thought it might be fun to have a thread where some of you old-timers could share a few "back-in-my-days" type stories.

I'd love to hear any stories about pieces bought solely based on the verbal descriptions (were you happy/disappointed)  Or situations where you scrambled to buy a copy of a comic book to see what was being sold.  Or weird phone call discussions.  Basically any tales of the trials and tribulations of buying OA before everything was a simple as it is these days.

Edited by ShallowDan
correcting typo

That reminds me, I have a stack of Paul Berdanier "How It Began" oddity panels from the 1930s I need to look at.

The seller talked me into it while I was doing yard work with my (gasp) PORTABLE phone.

I actually still don't have a cell phone.

He threw in a couple other strips, Roy Rogers, and another western, IIRC. 

Or maybe it was a GORDO.  David

Image.jpg

Edited by aokartman
pic added

:preach:

B - b - back in the day, you couldn't buy original art because the publishers kept the art.  If they were lucky, the artists got a coffee mug during the holidays.

My first comic swap meet I ever attended,  I had to walk 10 miles ..... each way ...... in the snow ...... in my bare feet .... life was not easy back then.

I had to drink water out of the faucet.  There was no such thing as bottled water.  The horror !!!