• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics for an Election Day ... er Week
1 1

33 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

comfreedomtrain.jpg

I finally looked this Freedom train up on Wikipedia.  It had this to say:

Two national Freedom Trains have toured the United States: the 1947–49 special exhibit Freedom Train and the 1975–76 American Freedom Train which celebrated the United States Bicentennial. Each train had its own special red, white and blue paint scheme and its own itinerary and route around the 48 contiguous states, stopping to display Americana and related historical artifacts.

The 1940s Freedom Train exhibit was integrated—black and white viewers were allowed to mingle freely. When town officials in Birmingham, Alabama, and Memphis, Tennessee, refused to allow blacks and whites to see the exhibits at the same time, the Freedom Train skipped the planned visits, amid significant controversy.

My admiration and appreciation of this comic just went up considerably.  I never knew the civil rights angle on this train!  

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This train toured the US in the late 1940's. Going from city to city. It was a traveling museum if I remember correctly.

Thats pretty neat.  I picked this up 30 years ago from a 25 cent bin and still haven't gotten around to reading it  🙃 

25 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

20922645534_c958dd5179_c.jpg

That may be the best Nixon comic cover as its funny and witty (especially if you flip it over).  Here's the worst - FF 123 (June 1972) with a heroic (?) portrayal of Nixon in an election year.  Fun fact:  The Watergate break-in was June 17, 1972:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

My favorite Presidential election comic is a few years past the GA.  It's the series that ran in Treasure Chest in 1964 which predicted a black man (who bore some resemblance to Obama) would win a Presidential nomination in the 1976 election.  It's an optomistic story that preaches hope and is about the best of America.  It got a lot of publicity back in 2008, but here's the payoff when Pettigrew is finally revealed to be black (a secret kept for months of the serial):

TC-V19N20-25.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

But a close second favorite is this page of Captain America, the hero who was created to fight fascists, and who gave us this memorable speech from What If? 44 (April 1984), another election year comic.  It is my second favorite because it necessarily addresses the weak and dark side of America, and I prefer the light and hope:

Prescient Speech by Captain America from What If #44 : comicbooks